The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Net Bags (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
http://magic.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsit......eset.htm

Here is the original perfect net bag from Guy Bavoli.

http://www.pro-magic.com

Here is the newest version of it. The former is no longer produced. I think the former looks wonderful and I really want it. The second one just doesn't look right, looks hokey and brings too much attention to itself. I believe the first one is validated because it looks professional (it was used instead of a plastic shopping bag because this looks more professional) while the second one still looks hokey while being weird (why not just use a clear plastic shopping bag).

What do you think? Is it worth the money to buy this? Is there any other net bags on the market anywhere?

Thanks for your help.

Jonathan Grant
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I guess if any others turned up on the market, then they would be rip off's of Guys.

Let Guy know you are interested in the original, even second hand, and your views on the second. Who knows, he may know of customers who bought the first but preferred the second when it then came out.

Paul
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Having seen the new net bag, I would have serious doubts about incorporating it in an act. The problem is, while it is certainly a useful and ingenious prop, it looks just like it sounds… a useful and ingenious prop.

The handles are a clever idea, but it still looks as though it has come straight from Magic Mark’s Conjuring Emporium. Any member of the public seeing it would have serious doubts about it being an “ordinary” bag.

And that can’t be a good thing!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
OK, guy’s $129.00 for a net switch bag!

get real. It doesn't matter how hokey or good it looks, it is still just a switch bag!

Guy did NOT invent the mesh style switch bag! In fact he did not even improve on the idea. Heck, I have a version that Ian Adair was selling (and I bought) back in the late 60’s. Then it was sold by Supreme Magic (England) as a kid show item. It is about the size of a standard egg bag. In fact, it looks alot better than the hand bag style Guy is now marketing! I have been using it for years in my mentalism act (and in my kid’s shows).

This prop is very easy to make. The net like material is common and fairly easy to work with. Easier to make, and more deceptive, is a clear “zip-lock” style freezer bag (costs less than $2.00 to make). I have and use both.

If you wanted to buy Ian’s version, it is for sale for $10.00 at http://www.magicsmith.com

Ian Adair’s net bag).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
I'm wanting to do the newspaper trick described on the site of the first one.

Is that possible with a normal change (force) bag?

Jonathan Grant

PS. I did contact Guy and he has NONE left at all.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Yes! Remember that a switch bag is a switch bag! Whether Cloth, net, clear plastic, gimmicked envelopes or a leather wallet. They all do the same thing, that is, switch one thing for another.

And for those of you who really want to spend $129.00 USD on a net switch bag (why?), they are still available, but remember that the $10.00 Ian Adair net bag at http://www.magicsmith.com

does the same thing. So, go ahead and spend the over hundred bucks and believe that the cost of the prop makes you a better mentalist/magician.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Good grief! $129 for a net switch bag!

If you check out the rest of their products, you'll find one that, in part, reads:

"It's a fact that people like money . . ."

I rest my case! Smile

BTW, Jonathan, the answer to your question is "yes", a normal swtich/change bag will work just as well.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
I think you might have misunderstood or did not read the effect listed on the site. The net bag starts out empty and the spectator tears up the newspaper and puts it in etc. Read the effect from the site.

Will a normal switch bag do this?

From site:

"Effect No. 1:

You display 50 pieces of paper with different information written on each and every one, let's say names of celebrities. You distribute the papers among the audience, each to a different spectator. The spectators are asked to remember the name on the paper they received, to fold it and pass it to the front. All papers are dropped inside the empty Net Bag. A spectator takes out one paper (free choice) while you are looking away. You then dramatically announce the name of the celebrity, and which person in the audience received it at the start. This can be repeated several times - every time with a different name and spectator.

Effect No. 2:

You display a prediction and say that inside you predicted the lottery numbers that will be selected during your act. Then you show 50 plastic discs numbered from 1 to 50.

A volunteer drops all the discs into the bag and mixes them. Six spectators take out one numbered disc each. The prediction is now opened and all six numbers are written inside, making a perfect match - and a very rich magician!

Effect No. 3:

You give a daily newspaper to a spectator, who selects two inside pages (free choice). The spectator then tears these pages into small pieces and drops them into the bag. The spectator takes out any piece of paper - again free choice - and selects a line from it. Your prediction is opened - written inside is the same sentence!

You don't touch the papers at all.

Papers in view all the time.

Net Bag is completely empty at the start.

Use your own papers with any information you wish.

Can perform more then one prediction at a time.

No pre-show information and no stooges.

Work anywhere, and surrounded.

Deluxe model that will last for a lifetime.

Audience tested

No sleights!"

Jonathan Grant
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Jonathan:

A normal switch bag will not do that.

Gianni
brainman
View Profile
Special user
970 Posts

Profile of brainman
I totally agree with Gianny...

..too expensive and too proppy!!!
pradip_rao
View Profile
New user
Bombay, India
67 Posts

Profile of pradip_rao
Jonathan,

A normal switch bag will certainly not do what the Bavli bag can do ie. start off empty.

However, the Bavli bag (both the old and the new version) do look hokey and suspicious. Ian's bag does not (at least, not so obviously).

Eventually, everything in magic (and mentalism) is a trade-off.
Ray Eldard
View Profile
New user
Phoenix, AZ
90 Posts

Profile of Ray Eldard
True, a regular switch bag may not be able to do exactly what you described, but for $100 less I'm certain I can use my triple change clear bag to convince my audience they saw the same effect.
jdmagic357
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of jdmagic357
OK first off this is nothing like a switch bag (change bag) as there is a special feature that allows you to load the bag when empty with your force items. Having said that, it's very prop like and unrealistic and would need a real cover story to justify. Back when I used the bag (I don't anymore) I called it an "offering bag like those used in the Catholic Church during the passing of the plate" so to speak. I elongated the handle and added something to facilitate the loading. Since the nature of the routine was spiritual the whole thing made sense. However today I would never use such an item. If I wanted the spectators to see into my force bag I would stay with The Working Mentalist Forcing Bag by Ray Carlyle.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Just cause they say it, doesn't make it true.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Net Bags (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL