The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Palmo vs. Hank Ball (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7401 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
8 momme will hold up in most instances where you are pulling and tugging on the silk. Things like Blendo, 20th Century, Goldin color changing silks all need this heavier silk.

10 or 12 momme gets pretty bulkly and heavy and becomes a case of overkill.

Your thoughts, Bob?

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The momme question takes some analysis of the effect. Momme has little to do with strength but it has everything to do with cover and concealment. Once you get past 8 momme it hangs more like cotton than silk. The larger the surface, the more evident it becomes. Therefore, 8 momme is about as heavy as silk for magic should ever be. (Otherwise, go for machine washable fabrics.) For opaqueness, 8 momme is great. For art silks, the heavier silk makes sense. Sleeves and tubes are usually more practical in heavier silk to hide the cargo.

When the cargo is silk, the lighter silks win hands down. It is still available in 3 momme but that is very transparent like women’s hose. Most of the magic silk imported is 5 momme. It is about as light as you can get with good color, will hold a hem and offers some resistance to puncturing. It is the prettiest of magic silks where movement, flowing and drifting is part of the presentation. It is widely available in good colors that you can match later. It does offer some cover and is the favorite of stage and dove magicians.

Combining the two can be very practical. As a rule of thumb, work with the lightest momme your skill will allow. If being back lighted would expose your trick, use 8 momme unless you can block the back lighting with your body. If silk is the cargo (load) for production, use 5 momme. It takes 60% more load space for 8 momme silk than 5 momme silk. The audience just sees a smaller load. There should actually be little to no difference in cost. The difference in the cost of the material is only about $.20/square foot. If you have friends or relatives sew on it for you. More skill is required to work 5 momme silk than 8 momme silk. The decision may be made for you.

In short, 5 momme and 8 momme silk should handle virtually all of your silk needs in magic. There is very little difference in cost. Use the one that fits the job.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7401 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Bob, a good point about the strength and you are correct for the most part. A 3/4" rope is stronger than a 1/2" rope. But the concealment is main reason to use the heavier. All three of the effects I mentioned ( color change, 20th century, and blendo) have need for that concealment. That is why I prefer the 8 momme. The 8 momme also gives more saturation of color when you are painting or screening on the silk. Look at the knock offs of the Rice Silk. They are 5 momme and not bad (unethical maybe but not bad). But they simply do not have the saturation of color as an original Rice or even a P&A silk. Most of those were made on 8 momme. Though Harold Rice did do some Zombie dragons in 12 mm.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Just watched Laflin's DVD on the Palmo and He NEVER says that you can put three 18" silks in it.

You CAN work routines with three but there are never more than two completely in the Palmo at any one time.

James Adamson
http://www.seam2006.com
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
735 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2005, hugmagic wrote:
Duane and I talked at length about the hank ball. The kick out move he suggests is not possible when the ball is fully loaded. Chanin had a lot of good ideas in his silk routine. But the most important thing was that it had to be learnt in segments so perfect it. The tape or a light spray adhesive works well. Lets also not forget the original use of the monofilament line.

I think the Palmo is more verstile than the hank ball. The only thing I would use the hank ball for is a production of many smaller silks from bare hands.

Just my 1 1/2" cents worth.

Richard

In younger days, I used the one with the monofilament line. I must say that although it has been much maligned, I found it to be very useful wish that they still made them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Palmo vs. Hank Ball (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL