The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Tip over trunk - Check this out! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I'm happy to report its done, or nearly so. I am finishing clear coating tonight and it will be a done piece. I'm still thinking of adding a few more ornamental pieces on the sides, to match the front and top but I'm over budget. I may try and add those last few pieces later. For now, its a working and half decent looking piece.

http://www.subcultureproductions.com/tipover.html

This piece matches the piece I finished before it, a metamorphosis trunk :

http://www.subcultureproductions.com/works.html

Everyone please excuse the mess of my basement. I'm clearing the debris tonight and
trying to re-organize things for my next illusion build.

I can't decide what is next for me to build. Its down to an illusion base for productions and vanishes, the large table type or a living head table for a bisection illusion I'd love to accomplish.

What does everyone think about each project, especially for someone of my skill level (The tip over trunk is only the second illusion I have built)

I appreciate everyone's feedback and advice both during the first two for me, and going foward. I got lots of great advice from many people who guided my efforts
with their experience.

"Magicians helping magicians"

Imagine that?

Steven
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Well done, Steven!

Another masterpiece!

I take it you like BLACK? Smile

Is that to suit your presentation of a sort of Gothic horror and flames?

If you do get around to building a shadow box, just remember not to paint the sheets black! Smile

Later on, you could build one trunk with the Sub trunk and tip over functions built into the over trunk - That way you would have two illusions but only taking up the space of one!

You could then make it all so that it can fold down flat as well! (Advanced stuff!)

But well done and good luck in moving onwards and upwards to your next build.

Chris.

PS: Have you performed these two illusions yet? - If and when you do, let us know how you got on with them and of any things you have learnt. (There is sometimes a difference between building what you thought you wanted and how it actually performs - but that is a good way to learn!)

:)
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Chris,

As far as doing a tip over that could do metamorphosis...
Thanks I wish you would have mentioned that to me BEFORE I built both! Smile

The metamorphosis we practiced through as I was going on it and again after it
was done. We both felt the back trap idea was the way to go for both our comfort
with performing the illusion. The tip over trunk I have not even practiced...

I will very soon.

I bet that tip over trunk could do metamorphosis too with just a few little mods. that's actually a GREAT idea.

For now I'd prefer them to be seperate pieces. Gothic horror and flames, not exactly but a bit darker and spookier than most magicians for sure.

One more option for my next build is a production/vanishing cabinet as described in mark wilsons book. The tip over trunk came from that and it came out good.

I've got a production, and a transposition... I'd like a bi-section or something
next, a different effect type I think.

I may also build a quick and dirty floating table the recent thread peaked my interest in that. All I know is I have a good stride going and I want to keep going without stopping, so I'm off to home depot very soon to look around for
materials for whatever is next.

I want a shadowbox badly too but I still understand very little about their workings...

Steven
LostSoul
View Profile
Regular user
Dave
148 Posts

Profile of LostSoul
These look great! I'm hoping to start my first project sometime after the holidays (we do a physical inventory the first weekend in Jan, so it will be shortly after that). I'm going to try a Square Circle from Mark Wilson's book. (Meanwhile, I'm looking at the Osborne books and dreaming Smile)

Dave
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2472 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Dave,

If your going to work on osborne stuff, so yourself a favor, and start with building basses. It is all about the bases. If you can build a good base, you are pratically done.

my 2 cents.

Steven, I love your trunk. It looks like....Well, a trunk, and isn't that what the audience should see anyway?

Good job
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Thanks Cliff.

I've been drooling over osborne stuff myself.
I think an illusion base made to look as thin as possible is my next big challenge.

I want an all around base for productions and vanishes using different tops.
I'd love a pyramid shaped production box/vanisher where the sides come down
like some stuff I've seen Copperfield and some others use.

I may build a living head table next though, I can't decide. Now that I've started and seen what is involved, I'll be building a lot of things.

Steven
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2005-11-23 10:24, haywire wrote:
...I'd love a pyramid shaped production box/vanisher where the sides come down

My next shadow box design has/will have side panels that go up and down and then the whole thing opens like a flower to reveal... well, um, ME!

I've managed to get that all to happen with just one motor - but as I want the top as thin as the bottom (about 1 or 2 inches) where I'm going to place this motor is the next puzzle. (Unless I can find a very flat but quite powerful one that is only 2 inches across!?)

At one stage, I was going to have the whole cubicle rotating as it opened like a flower - but that's been put on ice at the moment!

I love taking what seems impossible with what seems like insurmountable problems and find a working solution.

But it does take months of planning before buying anything.

Chris.
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I'd settle for a simple working shadowbox design myself...

Steven
Brian Tanner
View Profile
Veteran user
Fresno, CA
306 Posts

Profile of Brian Tanner
Killer job, Brother !!
LostSoul
View Profile
Regular user
Dave
148 Posts

Profile of LostSoul
Cliffg37,

Thanks for the advice! I know I can use all of the advice I can get! It's just knowing how to use the advice that people have problems with Smile

Dave
RWhit
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of RWhit
Those photos are in total darkness I can't see a thing. Bring them into the daylight.
A high gloss paint is not recommended for stage; but for some reason amateurs seem to like it.
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
The pictures were taken with my cell-phone camera yes in my dark basement.
When I have time I'll take better pics. I just took these quickly so everyone
could get a good idea how these came out.

The choice of gloss paint verses flat paint is a personal one. I don't beleive the glossiness of the finish (or not) can affect the outcome of these two illusions very much. I'm curious who makes these rules up and why they must be blindly followed as law anyway. If everyone followed some script blindly, everyone's
illusions would all look the same, and that's not very creative or artistic is it?

I've never read anywhere to use flat paint always. Perhaps I'm wrong, but if its my illusion, and I built it and want it shiny, well its just going to be shiny,
and rules be ***ed.

Got any pictures of illusions you have built Rwhit? I'd love to see all the illusions you have professionally built on your own, since you know all the
rules. Smile

Yes I am still an amateur builder myself, but my pieces are a bit more artistic
than most commercial or professionally built versions of these two that I have seen. This is the major reason I decided to build my own. So many ones I saw were
so bland and uninspiring to me.

Steven

The sub-trunk is done in flat black btw.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
I agree, Steven: Paint them how you bloody want to!

I see nothing wrong with bright shiny gloss paint on the outside.
Or do the outside in matt if that suits you better.

The only exception is when and where you are trying to hide something in a BA type way, then flat black would be better.

But then if you are doing any kind of BA, then black velvet is better than paint.

But as with all choices when building an illusion, they are your own!

For a kids show, I would say the bright shiny gloss painted boxes are better.
However, in a more dark magicians show, dark and flat would be the order of the day.

Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Hah, I can just imagine a BA trunk; "Observe the trunk, there is nothing inside of it"..
The audience murmurs, " What trunk ? " ..

I suppose you could get some glare from the pars if the paint was glossy, and that might make it hard for spectators to get a good look at the trunk, or more importantly, feel like they got a good look at the trunk, but that's just pure conjecture on my part.
Funny thing about light, too little and we're blind; too much, and we're blind.
I say, use it to your advantage !
Oh, and Steven, I discovered that our favorite shopkeep also has Mayne's "IllusionTech" book in stock in addition to the Osborne book, if you're interested.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Thanks Mystican...

I will go and check that out perhaps on saturday. I have to go get some things from Home depot before it gets too crazy bitter cold, plywood and such.
I got a dremel tool today, I'm dangerous now and itching to use it on something Smile

I'm having a real tough time deciding what to build next. I'll need plywood and some other things regardless, so I plan on just loading up my shop with enough stuff to build perhaps 2 or 3 more illusions. That should keep me busy enough till
it gets warm again. I HATE COLD WEATHER.

Whatever I decide to build, a pyramid shaped something is coming soon. I just keep thinking about that shape over and over again. Maybe I'm just sick of boxes and rectangle shapes.

And Yes Shrubsole if using ba I would just use felt so whatever I painted the piece would not matter. I really do feel that color and gloss/flat is just
a personal choice if it does not interfere with the operation of the illusion.

A sub-trunk could be bright gloss neon pink, it would not affect the performance of
the illusion at all. It would be ugly as hell, but that's just my tastes.

As far as whats next...
How does everyone feel about Shrubsole designing me a small simple shadowbox and me building it more or less to his design? That would be pretty rocking I think.

Shubsole? Get drawing dude. I'll need measurements and stuff too Smile

Steven
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1799 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Steven,

Just a quick point about the finish of an illusion. The reason that builders tend toward flat or satin paint finishes is to avoid the glare that comes from spotlights hitting a glossy paint finish. I used to work on a cruise ship that had incredible lighting available to me and you wouldn't believe how much glare comes off highly reflective surfaces.

The plexi-glass panels on my Crystal Box acted like mirrors, blinding the audience! I was really glad to see Chalet Magic switch over from polished aluminum trim to brushed aluminum trim for the same reason. (My Chalet Zig-Zag still has the polished aluminum trim and I wish it was brushed aluminum instead!)

Michael
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Well that makes sense. For my own show I'll have full control of the lighting situation so I'll be sure to avoid any spots or large light sources on the tip over trunk. If its still a problem, I'll have a gallon of flat black paint standing by...

Steven
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1799 Posts

Personally, I prefer a satin finish. The flat black looks best when you want to minimize an area.

Michael
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Is gloss and satin the same thing, and what about "SEMI gloss"?
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1799 Posts

All three are different finishes. Gloss is the highly polished looking finish (sometimes comes in a "high gloss" version) and is the most reflective. Semi-gloss still has a glossy finish but it's toned down considerably from the regular gloss finish. Satin is a smooth finish that's less glossy than semi-gloss but has more sheen than a flat finish. Flat finish isn't glossy at all.

Hope that helps.

Michael

P.S. You should be able to go to a paint center and see samples of the finishes so you can tell which one is best for your project.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Tip over trunk - Check this out! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL