We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Tip over trunk - Check this out! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Michael,

That did help. I can see why you'd prefer "satin" so would I... Not so bland but a bit of smoothness to the finish will help. The current piece I am working on will be done in metallic high gloss gold (its a pyramid and I want a metal like finish)

For future pieces I think I would like satin very much...

Steven
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
There is also a paint called "semi flat black" which I use on my props in areas where I want them to look smaller and inconspicuous. It comes in a spray and is easy to carry with you and re-apply to scratches and dings. Actually, it holds up well.

The semi flat black is not as "dry and dusky looking" as the flat black. It seems to be somewhat in between a semi-gloss and a flat. I get it at Walmart and Target. Try it...you might like it!

(PS: Be sure and use a primer on your bare wood areas. The paint will last longer.)
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
WalMart! My favorite "on the road" magic shop. Unlike the rest of the world, WalMart is never out of stock!

I've had good luck with their paints.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Thanks for everyone's advice. The pyramid is bring painted, final touches added.

I should have pictures in a few days. I was going to go with a totally metallic gold finish but that looked kinda bad, even on the properly primed wood. I decided to go with a black and gold finish, sorta trippy, like black base color, then gold hammered finish metallic sprayed on top of that kinda patchy.

Anyhow, looking great, pics soon!

Steven
alson
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of alson
Steven,
What metallic band did you use ??? I was wondering ? I painted a table I built with
metallic and it looks like ,well I repainted with regular blue paint. I love to
build my own prop and table and such. Your tunk looks great.
Alson
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
On the trunk I was using metallic silver (chrome) spray paint. They sell it at home depot and most auto parts stores. Needs a few coats but it really makes whatever you paint with it look metal...

Steven
alson
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of alson
Steven,
I prine the table and try the Rust-oleum metallic which I was told would on wood . But it did not and never look right soon I sand it off and went with a regular type blue . It turns out great. I am planning to do a sub trunk myself ,just this time of year too many other thing like shows going on.
Well let us know how trunk work in your first show .
Alson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Tip over trunk - Check this out! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL