The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Good storage for already used props in a preformance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jacob garr
View Profile
New user
Independence Mo.
17 Posts

Profile of jacob garr
My uncle Ken Garr uses a laundry hamper to store his props in, the one that is collapsable. I personally put my props off to the side of my table but it would help to actually use a hamper. I hope this tip has helped you. It might help me.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
I use tupperware containers. They are my new best friends. And I also have a table with drawers to practice on. I use the drawers in that too.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
My shows are often played out of those big tupperware containers. I either (depending on show)will take props out and display before start of show and ditch in tub after performing, or I will bring another tub to ditch as I take out of the first. I never use a table in my shows. This came about from my street performing days where I had to be mobile.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5763 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Because I either work out of a duffle bag or a plastic tote, I use a lot of Tupperware, carboard boxes, tins, etc. I just put the prop back where it came from - makes the reset go faster for the next show.
PROFED
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago,Illinois
229 Posts

Profile of PROFED
I work out of a metal atache type tool box from Home Depot. The Last item packed is the first used, then ditched into a colapsable laundry hammper which is lined with dark cloth and cliped to the latches of the case. The case has velcro around it to accepted a gold trimmed skirt. This aloows me to reset easily at my lesure,preotect my props while I am doing balloon at the end of the show, then depart quickly after receiving my payment.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I have a very old, very magical suitcase that I used to use in my children's shows along with a foot locker that held props after the show.
But most items remained on stage until after the curtain closed.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Duane Lauflin makes a nice foldup sparkly box. Folds up flat and unfolds into a nice attractive box. I drop my stuff into that. I also use it to keep things like silks, etc.

I'm not sold on it but I bought one and am trying it out.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
jasonmagic
View Profile
New user
Jason Magic Productions (Martinsburg,WV)
64 Posts

Profile of jasonmagic
Cool website frank!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
During the show, things produced usually stay on stage. Props used are either carried off stage by an assistant or tossed under the table. Some are given to the volunteer from the audience.

Another method for smaller shows is to work from a square circle and get props from there and return them there as I go. At the end of the show, show the square circle empty and toss a 36" The End silk over it.

Between shows for stage shows, everything that will fit into the subtruck is locked up there. Big items are grouped together backstage behind Jetsets. Some items are put back into metal or woodend cases.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Donnie W
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Donnie W
I love the idea about using the squared circle to store props. The creativity on this forum amazes me 73 Donnie
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2005-12-04 09:00, Donnie W wrote:
I love the idea about using the squared circle to store props. The creativity on this forum amazes me 73 Donnie

Thanks Donnie!

But you give too much credit here. It's not creativity; it's necessity! LOL

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
BJ Mallen
View Profile
New user
Colon, MI
37 Posts

Profile of BJ Mallen
Dick Oslund has told me a story of an old timer he knew who would use two square circles one at stage left, one at stage right. Stage left SC would be shown empty, first trick produced, performed, placed in SC @ SR. SL SC again shown empty, second trick produced, performed, and placed in SC @ SR. Process would be repeated, at end of the show Square circle at stage right shown empty! But the best part is, this worker's act was designed to play both ways, entirely reversible, when he arrived at the next show the Square circles would swap places and the show would play in the other direction. Talk aboult the ultimate in practicality for a busy weekend.

BJ Mallen
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
Alright, I saw something used by a stage magician.

I've searched everywhere on the Café using words like, "black, bag, canvas, steel" with no luck.

Maybe somebody will know what I'm talking about here.

What he had was this, it looked like one of those things at hotels to set your suitcase on top of. However, instead of canvas straps going between the two bars there was a black canvas bag.

Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Quote:
On 2007-03-01 16:48, Christian Illusionist wrote:
Alright, I saw something used by a stage magician.

I've searched everywhere on the Café using words like, "black, bag, canvas, steel" with no luck.

Maybe somebody will know what I'm talking about here.

What he had was this, it looked like one of those things at hotels to set your suitcase on top of. However, instead of canvas straps going between the two bars there was a black canvas bag.

Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?

Seems like this would be pretty easily made from a tray stand. Tray stands are available from your local restaurant supply store. Just sew a bag into the straps. It seems like a great idea for someone who uses a lot of different props in their show.
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
I'm going to be working with two trunks and a table.

one trunk larger than the other.

Move from one trunk to table, put aside/away in the other trunk.

Trunks (boxes) nest for simpler moving.

Next time items go from the other trunk back toward the first.

Will work for two back to back shows then you would have to move the items from the smaller trunk back, but by using shelves inside the trunks that should be no issue.

I used to do this 20+ years ago and it worked very well, especially since it was my assistant doing all the putting away, but would work for a one magician show too.

For a children's show I didn't like leaving the props exposed for a few reasons.

PS. the trunks can be moved via a luggage dolly, fold up type available where luggage is sold.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Good storage for already used props in a preformance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL