The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Rabbit in a hat (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4815 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
One of the magic items I collect are rabbits coming out of hats. I own several. Recently I started collecting magic wands as well.

Anyone else collect items like these? I would be interested, as it is sometimes very difficult to obtain some of these. Smile

Life is not a problem to be solved...

but a mystery to be lived.
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5703 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Don't recall if I got it at a magic related event or not but I have a finger puppet rabbit that pops out of a hat.

TC
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4069 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Well as you know Steve, I collect skulls for my magical purposes Smile

I tried collecting assistants for a while, but my girlfriend made me give them back Smile

Ichazod
Kenz Krazy
View Profile
New user
Kent in the U.K
74 Posts

Profile of Kenz Krazy
Steve I have just had a rabbit comming out of a hat made in gold I could always send you details it would go on a chain around your neck.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4815 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Hi Kenz,

Thanks so much for the thought, but the rabbits in hats that I collect are all free standing. (ceramic, porcelain, etc)

Smile

Life is not a problem to be solved...

but a mystery to be lived.
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
WindsorWizard
View Profile
New user
CANADA - Windsor, Ontario
44 Posts

Profile of WindsorWizard
Steve... As a hoarder of everything magical, I guess one might say I am a collector.

Years ago, I came into a ceramic 23" high statue, full color, of an old time magician, pulling a rabbit, by the ears no less, out of a black top hat. He is somewhat on the stout side and stands on a 6.5" square base, has curly brown hair, small moustache and goatee and I have no idea of it's history.

Maybe you or one of the members have insight?
EVERYTHING is possible...
If you simply, just BELIEVE!
~ ~ ~ Johnny Ould ~ ~ ~
VISIT US: Windsor Magic Place & Cases For Magic=A Free Report!
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Are there any markings on the bottom (unglazed area) of the statue? These markings are well known to antiques collectors, and some of the history of a piece can usually be found by deciphering these marks.

Nice hat, by the way!

Smile Mary B.
WindsorWizard
View Profile
New user
CANADA - Windsor, Ontario
44 Posts

Profile of WindsorWizard
Thanks for the compliment Mary. The hat discreetly covers this old wizard's pointed head... although come to think of it, one may just call it my think box for my point of view. The hat matches the rest of me as one will see on visiting my website.

Anyway, I have looked and do not see any markings that you mention. What I should do sometime, is take a photo of it and post it for others to see and critique. That would be the easiest way wouldn't it?

By the way, I get the impression that you might beholding of a sort of magical leprechan (excuse my spelling) type 'O person. Care to elaborate?
EVERYTHING is possible...
If you simply, just BELIEVE!
~ ~ ~ Johnny Ould ~ ~ ~
VISIT US: Windsor Magic Place & Cases For Magic=A Free Report!
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Yes, I'm Irish on my mother's side, and Dutch/English on my dad's. With a name like Mary Margaret, how could it be otherwise??? I think they wanted a nun. Smile

Smile Mary B.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7350 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Also collect Magicians pulling rabbits from hats or rabbits in hats. I have couple of animated Christmas ornaments, plush items. pewter, porcelan, you name it. Seemed like a lot of magicians collected rabbits so I just kind of evolved in this direction. Need to get any china hutch though. Did you ever see the Amazing Mumford figure? Cute.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
MikeM
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
110 Posts

Profile of MikeM
I bought one many years ago Steve which depicts a young boy waving a wand over a rabbit in a hat.

It was mounted on a wooden plinth and entitled "The Young Magician" by Leonardo.

Not sure of it's value though?

MikeM Smile Smile
aposjf12
View Profile
New user
Beverly Hills
73 Posts

Profile of aposjf12
I collect Magic Wands and posters of old masters. Thurston, Blackstone, Kellar etc...
john magic wright
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of john magic wright
The very best rabbit out of the hat is definitely John Rogers traveling magician 1877 they go for around $6500 if we can find a nice one
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
So...What started the "RABBIT IN THE HAT" AS "OUR SYMBOL"?

I have "the story", documented.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
One of these days, I'll dig into my files, and reprint the story of Mary Toft and how a magician used a rabbit produced from a hat to, unknowingly starting a tradition.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Rabbit in a hat (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL