We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Chronicles of Narnia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1794 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
I would think that with the popularity of the series and the epic film opening on December 9, some of you Bizarrists must have come up with something! Any thoughts?

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Will have to wait and see. I think, if they hold true to the books, it will have a very heavy, if veiled, christian overtone. Not that this is a bad thing, but it could possibly limit the direction some go with it, unless we look to the White Witch for inspiration! ;}
kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Actually the popularity of a thing can make a Bizarrist avoid it!

The last thing I want people is people to know what's coming!
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I would indeed be shocked if the movie did not have Christian overtures.(But that does not mean that they will be realized by the masses.)
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Traveler
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Traveler
I must confess that I haven't read the books (yet), but I know that Tolkien was a fervent Christian too, and that there even "lord of the rings" has a lot of Christian philosophy and background in it.
Still, I don't think it was too obvious in the books and not obvious at all in the movie.
Personally I don't like it when a fantasy story moralizes TOO much, but I really look forward to "Narnia" anyhow.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I admit that I found the books to be very strong in the inference area, but then it was more than a few years back, and my personal life at the time may have influenced my perceptions! (Still will be going to see the movie though!)

Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
As a kid I only ever read the first book in this series and was so turned off by the Christian propaganda it effused that I never bothered to read any of the rest of the series.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Merlin C
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Merlin C
Tolkien disliked the Narnia books' straightforward allegory. I think they contain something profound and valuable but I also largely agree with the usual objections as phrased by Tolkien, Moorcock, Pullman, etc. I expect in some ways the film is better than the book deserves; it has Tilda Swinton, anyway.

What experience do people have using overtly fictional milieux for bizarre magic? With adults, with children?
D Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Virginia
369 Posts

Profile of D Byrd
For your intentions in using it to theme a routine you do not have to make it overtly religious in nature. Use the template of Good vs. Evil. The old tried and true. Let people take from it what they will.

Doug
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
How do you tell "Good" from "Evil"?

Good people get into bad moods and evil people can seem very nice when they want to.

So what's left? Costumes?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
D Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Virginia
369 Posts

Profile of D Byrd
You are right Sir Jonathan. The good guys always wear the white hats. ;0) Or so I've been told.

Doug
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
He he he! SOMEtimes they wear the white hats...
Hey D! good to see you
kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
D Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Virginia
369 Posts

Profile of D Byrd
Thanks Kay! It's good to be seen.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Yes, Doug, welcome home.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
SteeleFusion
View Profile
Regular user
Glasgow, Scotland
106 Posts

Profile of SteeleFusion
I have been in a stage production of LW&TW so I have faith that the script could still be sucessful and exicting without as blatant parallels seen in some of the books.

To answer another question, if you are watching Fox's "24" then the goodies are using Mac, Ericsons, LG's and drive Nissans. (Whereas the baddies use PCs, Dells, Nokias and drive mainly Fords)

Craig
Craig Steele : MindFusion

www.Craig-Steele.co.uk
D Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Virginia
369 Posts

Profile of D Byrd
Thank you as well Mark. It's good to see the ole gang.

Doug
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Brian Turntime
Smile Now I've read everything: a children's book with fauns, witches, lions, magic candy, and an interdimensional portal via furniture is called...

...."Christian propaganda."

snort Smile
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2005-11-29 22:13, Brian Turntime wrote:
:whatthe: Now I've read everything: a children's book with fauns, witches, lions, magic candy, and an interdimensional portal via furniture is called...

snort Smile

All I remember of this book is seemingly every other page Aslan proclaiming "I was born on Xmas" nudge, nudge, wink wink. It was far too blatant to be allegory thus my (perhaps unfair)label of propaganda. But hey if the religious zealots out there can label the Harry Potter Books as Pagan Propaganda than I have no qualms labeling the Narnia books as just the opposite.
Life is balance.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
:whatthe: Now I've read everything: a children's book with fauns, witches, lions, magic candy, and an interdimensional portal via furniture is called...

snort Smile

For some (HUGE AMOUNT OF) discussion on that topic, have a look via google or similar search engine. While not necessarily "propaganda" in the proselytizing or evangelical sense, the works were written with strong Christian themes.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Quote:
On 2005-11-30 11:35, Payne wrote:
Quote:

snort Smile

All I remember of this book is seemingly every other page Aslan proclaiming "I was born on Xmas" nudge, nudge, wink wink. It was far too blatant to be allegory thus my (perhaps unfair)label of propaganda. But hey if the religious zealots out there can label the Harry Potter Books as Pagan Propaganda than I have no qualms labeling the Narnia books as just the opposite.
Life is balance.

I don't find the label unfair at all. Like everything else Lewis wrote, Narnia is an attempt to push the Christian message. When I was a teenager I tried to read The Screwtape Letters, which I thought would be interesting. What a bore!
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Chronicles of Narnia (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL