The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Chronicles of Narnia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-11-30 12:01, Bill Ligon wrote:...I don't find the label unfair at all. Like everything else Lewis wrote, Narnia is an attempt to push the Christian message. When I was a teenager I tried to read The Screwtape Letters, which I thought would be interesting. What a bore!

Which Christian message? Nobility of purpose? Integrity of being? Congruence between one's intents and actions? The importance of the OTHER PERSON'S perspective?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
The Christian message that Lewis fashioned into the Chronicles of Narnia is the self-sacrifice of an innocent and benevolent King on behalf of his rebellious and undeserving subjects.

Tolkien, a fellow Inkspot, held to the theory that ALL stories are reflections or manifestations of the One True Story; thus, our tales of heroism, nobility, depravity, and indescribable longing are simply the story of Creation, writ small and from the human perspective. Ours are fictions, yet (according to Tolkien) the Story on which our mortal fabrications are based is the reality of God's perspective. Lewis' views on this theory may not have been as firmly held as Tolkien's, but certainly impacted his writing. To the better, IMO.
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Brian Turntime
All I can say is that allegorical metaphors based on spiritual themes are in many works of literature.

And movies: The Matrix, The Abyss and a plethora of others contain self-sacrifice/savior themes...
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Jesus is coming...act busy!

u've got christian propaganda, u've got islamic propaganda, u've got satanic propaganda...and everybody has the SOLUTION. little minds would be affected with any propaganda...(did I mention the MTV propaganda?:P) live and let live and let them "propaganda" whatever they want...
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
vmendoza
View Profile
Elite user
Farmingdale. New Jersey
430 Posts

Profile of vmendoza
Quote:
On 2005-11-30 12:01, Bill Ligon wrote:
I don't find the label unfair at all. Like everything else Lewis wrote, Narnia is an attempt to push the Christian message. When I was a teenager I tried to read The Screwtape Letters, which I thought would be interesting. What a bore!

The Screwtape Letters was a bore?!? Oh, you were a teenager... Maybe if you read them now you might actually find some insight in the book.

As for Lewis' Narnia series having "STONG CHRISTIAN OVERTONES" maybe, just maybe, it's because Lewis was first and foremost a theologian. That might just have something to do with it.
Law
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Law
Interesting that Lewis was apparantly opposed to a live-action version of Narnia. Read about it here.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Quote:
On 2005-11-30 13:05, Leland Stone wrote:
The Christian message that Lewis fashioned into the Chronicles of Narnia is the self-sacrifice of an innocent and benevolent King on behalf of his rebellious and undeserving subjects.

Tolkien, a fellow Inkspot, held to the theory that ALL stories are reflections or manifestations of the One True Story; thus, our tales of heroism, nobility, depravity, and indescribable longing are simply the story of Creation, writ small and from the human perspective. Ours are fictions, yet (according to Tolkien) the Story on which our mortal fabrications are based is the reality of God's perspective. Lewis' views on this theory may not have been as firmly held as Tolkien's, but certainly impacted his writing. To the better, IMO.

Leland, I can't disagree with the points you make, nor can I fault the ideal of self-sacrifice for the benefit of others. I don't think, however, that any of these ideas are restricted to Christians, nor are those suggested by Jonathan, as noble as they may be.

VMendoza, yes, I was a teenager at the time, and yes, I found the book boring, probably because I was looking for something else in it. I now have several works by C. S. Lewis and do not find them boring today. Lewis is a lot more palatable than many other Christian writers.

I haven't seen Narnia, but you can be sure I plan to see it. I see no objection to calling the book or the movie "Christian propaganda," as this is what they are, and there is nothing wrong with this.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Law, I think Lewis' comment about Disney vulgarity is very interesting and surprising.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2005-11-30 13:06, Brian Turntime wrote:
All I can say is that allegorical metaphors based on spiritual themes are in many works of literature.

And movies: The Matrix, The Abyss and a plethora of others contain self-sacrifice/savior themes...

Such is the power of myth. these archetype were embedded deep in the human psyche long before even the oldest of surviving texts were penned.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Interesting discussion, but please allow me to take this back to my initial post!

If you have read "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe", two of the memorable lines are:

"Always winter but never Christmas" and "When Aslan shakes his mane, we shall have Spring again."

How about using the effect "Mental Ice Breaker" where an ice cube completely melts in two minutes? (As you may know, the effect is available from educational sources as well as dedicated magic establishments).

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Chronicles of Narnia (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL