The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Malini Egg Bag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rhpeltz
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of rhpeltz
I just acquired one of Joe Stevens Malini Egg Bag. Does anyone know of a good video/dve on this? Thanks
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Congrat on getting your Malini Egg Bag. I'd suggest you check out Egg Bag dvd from the Greater Magic Video Library. You have magic giants such as Martin Lewis, Tom Mullica, Billy McComb and Charlie Miller/Johnny Thompson on the famous "Malini Egg Bag." Also, I think Cellini in Magic That Can be Performed Anywhere also has an excellent egg bag routine on Joe Karson's Chinese Egg Bag. I hope this give you a place to start as I'm sure there are other great teaching of Egg Bag effects that I don't know.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
I use this effect in every stage show I do. Congrats on obtaining a classic piece of magic. Practice it well and listen; because I'll give you some tips. Ha- this excites me now that you got one.

First off- get the Ken Brooke & Friends on the Malini Egg Bag book. It's less than 10 bucks and is all you'll need. In my opinion that is.

As far as the actual egg you're using. You probably have a solid- if you throw it at someone you're looking at a lawsuit type of egg, right? I'd recommend buying a set of six blown eggs. They come in a container of six. I've had this set for over two years now; and I swear that I haven't broken one egg yet! I still have five more left if I would break one. But I haven't. They are wonderful. In my opinion...

Now the workings of the bag are simple- yes? Hopefully by now you've played around with it. You might think it wouldn't fool anyone. Combined with the right theatics and pantomime, etc- this can be a great effect. I do a comedic version to music in my act and the crowd never ceases to be amazed. It truly is a notable piece in my stage show. Glad to see that you too have taken an interest in the Malini Egg bag.

If you'd like a 'detailed routine' I'd recommend looking into getting Charlie Miller's Malini Egg Bag routine booklet. Once again- a great source of tips and info.

As far as DVDs and people to watch perform this routine well? Good guy Denny Haney has it on his show video. Jeff Hobsons routine is original and unique. Ummmm can't think of anyone else off the top of my head currently. But be original in your concepts though. It took me a while to get my routine original and unique. At first I always copied the Hobson mannerism. But I don't anymore- because his routine I realized just didn't suite me. I made one myself; to fit my personality. And it shows. Took a while, but I personally feel better now. So, good luck!!

best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
239 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
Congratulations! I'm glad you found your own style. Another magic success story. Keep up the good work!

Jeff Hobson
The Hilarious Host of Las Vegas!
VISIT my magic shop: www.HobsonsChoiceMagic.com
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On 2005-11-25 13:37, TomaskoMagic wrote:
<...>

I'd recommend buying a set of six blown eggs. They come in a container of six. I've had this set for over two years now;

<...>best regards,
Matt Tomasko

Can you tell us where you got the set?
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Sure- Contact Denny Haney, DennyMagic.com
He carries them; next day delivery most of the time too. Just do a search on 'eggs.' or just go here: http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.......m=005267

best investment other than the Malini Egg bag itself. Hope this helps some. Let us know if you order any:)

best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /

kent
View Profile
New user
Victoria,BC
44 Posts

Profile of kent
What's the difference between a "malini" egg bag, and a regular standard egg bag?
Quality of construction? extra pocket? And is a "malini" worth the extra $15 or so over a standard bag?

thanks!
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Oh wow- tons of difference in my opinion.

Looks better for one.

Now, if only I could describe it well enough for you to understand. I can't really descibe prop quality very well. So, forgive me ahead of time. Ok, here goes:

The standard egg bag that I'm familiar with is made of a *wool* material. It's unlike a malini which is made of (non wool) material:) Sorry, I know magic better than my fabrics. Ha- in essence the quality is better. Easier handling also. Also, with the standard egg bag I believe you are supplied with a wooden hard egg. At least I was. Compared to the malini and the standard- for me I can notice the difference when pertaining to the deceptiveness. The wooden egg in the standard bag is 'noticeable.' and bulky. However it MAY make the handling a lot easier; than using a blown egg because of the weight- it's still in my opinion; not a good facet.

Now when you use the wooden egg with the Malini- I believe it's less noticeable. You won't see a buldge (or as much.) It's all in handling though. BUT you are still left with a floppy buldge.

If you really insisted on using the 'standard' egg bag- you could use a blown egg as well. Would this work? Sure. I'm just so used to working with the Malini. It is a change from using the standard egg bag. It's just a lot smoother. Also, adds a more professional quality to your show/props.

Also, using a wooden egg prevents certain 'moves.' Whereas a blown egg is lighter- and a natural roughness of the egg would enable for some other added perks to the routine. When you use the wooden egg with the malini you run the risk of when you turn the bag inside out- the weight of the egg could move to the one side of the bag; running the risk of plopping out. Making any sense?

Another perk of using the Malini- added moves like crunching up the bag are more believable and possible. Throwing the bag in the air after the vanish is doable. Makes it look more convincing.

To me- it's the purest piece of magic in my show. Clean. Can be done a hundred times and people would still be amused. May be stretching it, but anyway. Everyone from any part of the world can identify with it. It's a bag, and an egg. I always state that, "A Diabolically simple miracle. An egg. And a bag. Who's confused?" With my sleeves rolled up and laughs along the way I perform my routine. It's been done close up- and been performed on the stage. One of my best pieces in my show. Then afterwards- kaboom. It fits in my front breat pocket.

Packs flat: plays big. Voila.

I do hope some of this helps,
best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™

kent
View Profile
New user
Victoria,BC
44 Posts

Profile of kent
Thanks for the info Matt. And yes, I get what you're saying about fabric and whatnot - a better quality material that covers any unwanted bumps and bulges more effectively. And thanks for the tip on the blown egg - I always assumed evrybody just used wooden ones.

It looks like a Malini bag is going on my Xmas wish list!
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Bravo- good choice good choice:) Glad I could help you out. Tell Santa also to shop/pick up the malini egg bag at- http://www.dennymagic.com ;great shop that has all you'll ever need, but more than you'd ever expect out of a shop. There was another post recently regarding malini egg bag routining, etc. Might want to check that out too. I've posted to that as well- not as in depth, but hopefully I will in time.

As far as the blown eggs. Best investment you'll make, other than buying the bag itself. Good luck with them. They'll feel strange at first; as opposed to the solid egg. You'll probably be reluctant to work with it; knowing that it indeed is a real egg. But the finish on the egg makes it impossible to break; unless you really intentionally slame it on the ground. Have fun:)

Best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Malini Egg Bag (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL