The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Don Wayne Floating Ball (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
ladpromenades
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of ladpromenades
I am considering purchasing the Don Wayne Floating Ball but I have a few questions about it first. I have seen David Copperfield perform it on the Magic of David Copperfield II and I really liked it. Does this illusion require a massive stage? Does it also require "assistants" backstage to control the movement of the ball? I have also heard of a version of this trick called "Braco's Floating Ball." Which trick is the better deal? Which trick is more complex? I would really appreciate any input.
David Copperfield: The Greatest Illusionist of All-Time
jrabenho
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of jrabenho
I'm not sure about Braco's method of the floating ball. But I do know that Don Wayne's version does require assistants . It also requires other special considerations. If you are looking for a more reasonable floating ball, then look into a zombie. That can be performed under almost any conditions.

John
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I agree with jrbenho. Although the effect doesn't require a massive stage setting, the Don Wayne version does require special lighting and a "busy" back drop. (Of course the more massive the stage, the further the audience is away - which is conducive to this particular effect.)

There is a way to perform the DWFB solo. The instructions that accompany the effect tell you how to set it up for one man operation. This is the way I used it.

I liked the effect, but found that I had sporadic problems with the gimmick.

I'm afraid I can't comment on Braco's version... I'm not familiar with it. Hope this helped.

Lyndel
John
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of John
There are numerous threads in this forum on the "Braco Floating Ball." The general consensus seems to be that the ad is misleading, the method impractical and the offering in general "a piece of junk." Mike Ching is an expert on the floating ball effect.
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
A couple other sources: The pamphlet "One Man Floating Light Bulb Effects" by Burling Hull would work exactly the same with the ball. Also, Okito was one of the first to turn this into a popular effect. I know he has books describing his secret. This is an effect that you will either be doing on a stage, or like most of us, merely enjoying playing around with it in the living room...where it looks great.
quack
Saydean
View Profile
Loyal user
Omaha,Nebraska
206 Posts

Profile of Saydean
OK, I have used the DWFB for a few years, Yes there are some concerns on lighting and you do need a backstager BUT,it's awesome!

I think this is one of the most magical illusions you can do. Small stage or big it works really well.

You do need a lot of rehearshal time to perfect the smooth moves. I have combined the floating ball with several other illusions such as disembodied princess where the ball passes thru the open space where my partner "stands" on the ball and raises into the air (3 in 1).
Dr.Maya Baalaamurugaan
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Dr.Maya Baalaamurugaan
DWFB is the best floating ball I have ever seen. I have tried something similar in a pub using just my own imagination: a ball and ITR, with an assistant!
MarkTripp
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
618 Posts

Profile of MarkTripp
However, one needs to read the Burling Hull book to get the point that the one man floating light bulb is vastly superior to the floating ball because there is now a reason to dim the lights. You want people to see the bulb is lit.

I would place my attentions there.
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Lyndel

I disagree with a busy background. You can get a way with out a busy background. Do your lighting right and you got this made in the shade.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
Aloha:

I've been fascinated with the Floating/Animation effects since I was 10. In 1991 wrote NEW ANIMATIONS THE DANCING HANDKERCHIEF BOOK that put me in touch with a lot of the finest performers of the DH, and many of them have had versions of the FLOATING BALL as well.

I have been working on a second book of floating ball/object ideas and have looked at many methods. Could give you a lot of info, but here is what I think you can use at this time:

Some facts:
1. The DON WAYNE ball is an excellent FB prop (I have gone through 3) It is lightweight (as Don calls it) "Space age plastic" in beautiful chrome finish, relatively durable, and can take a few falls though I reccomend practicing over carpeted areas if possible. Minor mars or scratches dissappear onstage. I reccomend it as the best commercially available ball on the open market.

The DON WAYNE Ball comes with two methods. I suspect it is no great secret that The first (Solo method) seems a variation of the routine popularized by OKITO/TOBIAS BAMBERG. I believe LANCE Burton does a variation of it with his sphereical birdcage, probably the best known such routine today.

The beauty of this technique is that the ball moves as the performer moves and it is obvious on some level that it is HIS skill that makes the effect work. If your routine is well thought out and rehearsed (this requires an enourmous amount of rehearsal to do smoothly) the crowd responds for the effect, AND for your skill.

Another method is Operator driven (a single operator prefereably skilled in dance or other body-control discipline). Copperfield used this method on television, I suspect, because it give a greater impression of "independent movement" between ball and performer.

Performer/Operator rehearsals need to work to coordinate movement action between Magician and ball to give the impression the performer is in control(where in the solo method the goal is to create the impression of seperation when possible).

This method is "initially easier" but still don't expect to pick it up and do it next week. Audiences applaude when the FB is done well because they sense the cleverness, difficulty, thought and rehearsal that goes into a GOOD routine. There is no way to get around the thought and rehearsal, and that is why you so rarely see free-floating ball routines done by amateurs and even semi-pros.

I really hope to do a lecture on this worldwide someday, the methods and tech on this effect are fascinating and new ideas are always being created! I've done the lecture locally (in Hawaii) a couple times now and it is always well attended and well recieved.

Just remember the many performers who put so much of their thought and time and work into the Floating ball and dancing hank. If you actually get into the work you will be humbled by their contributions. (We stand on the shoulders of giants).

look to the work of Blackstone Sr. and Blackstone Jr. Thurston, Okito ("The Albo Book" is very expensive and hard to find but the ultimate work on his FB version), Burling Hulls book is a must have for your floating library too. ANY book by Finn Jonn. Sorry no time.

(RE: BRACO, he wrote the excellent booklet "FLOATING ROUTINES FOR TABLE AND STAGE" I highly reccomend it. Sorry I am not familiar with his commercially available floating ball).

Floating and animation effects are the most captivating and delightful in magic. But done well, I suspect they are also the most rare.

I see some great ideas today from Sean Begonia, Dirk Losander, Tommy Wonder, Kevin James, several others, and of course, the Master, Finn Jonn. Yet still there is so much to be learned. Smile

Hope that helps a little. if you are interested in this topic please let me know. If I have time I will post!

Magical Aloha;

-MikeC
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24262 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Before you throw all of the Braco floating illusions out like you throw the baby out with the bathwater, let me point out that there are several different "Braco Floating Ball" methods. The current one from Europe has been generally dismissed as a dog. There are things in the manuscript that are doable, but it definitely is not THE DEFINITIVE floating ball.

Braco had an earlier release that is similar in method to the Don Wayne Floating Ball. I recently received a copy of it from him. This manuscript has not been translated into English yet.

It is a one person method. It does not use the h***** f***** b******. I'm going to investigate it and see if he wants me to translate it into English. If this happens, and it is different enough from the Don Wayne method, I will let all of you know about it.

I have to see if it predates Don's work on the floating ball before I can justify the work necessary to publish it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Doha Dealer
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Doha Dealer
If you are not keen on using a complicated method then I would recommend going for Mike Danata's floating ball.

This is very strong and very well routined. The routine is something like this:

Remove ball from top hat on table, ring is around your head. walk away from table and float ball between your hands, let ot go up and down. Take ring off your head and watch ball float up through it. spin the ring around the ball - this is very deceptive and it seems impossible that the ball can be suspended in front of you. You finish by watching the ball float back to the table and down into the hat (you can be several meters from the table).

It used to be available from Repro Magic in the UK, not sure if it still is.
Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
Sorry, not familiar with Mike Danatas' FB. Got a link to it?
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Contact Mike Danata direct from his website:

http://www.mikedanatasmagicstudio.co.uk/
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
Mahalo for the tip Lee
-MC
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Quote:
On 2004-10-15 15:10, Mike Ching (Hawaii) wrote:
Mahalo for the tip Lee
-MC

You guys fascinate me with only twelve letters in your alphabet!
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
Lol Yeah Lee;

Just a greeting from Paradise to start your day. If you're not into Hawaiian, "Mahalo" means Thank You. Did Email M. Danata so hope to get more info on this set up. Great lead.

Just a note to avoid some confusion, I see "Ralph Wicchmann" and "Bracco" mentioned here. Believe "Bracco" is the Stage Name of "Ralph Wicchman". I understand Wichmman has a stage character of an "older" magician. A character he can "Grow into" while remaining vital. Very clever.

PS: I'm actually not Hawaiian, but we use those words interchangeably over here. I'm actually Chinese-Portuguese-Irish (Yeah, you probably run into that everyday!)

Very much enjoying this topic.

Hope you are all having a busy weekend!

-Magical Aloha
-MikeC

Hey Lee, Guys (& Girls);

Did get in touch with MIKE DANATA re his Floating Ball. (Told him about Magic Café, maybe he will stop in?)

YEs this sounds like a very practical set up. It is not currently in production though he is interested in updating & selling it. I hope so.

I can see this being ideal for most stage & cruise ship work. I believe you are able to walk on with the table, place it and walk (away) back still working the ball. Finish Clean. Nice.

He also mentions the latest FINN JONN Video which I would like to find: "THE INCOMPARABLE FINN JONN". I can search for it, just wanted to know if anyone knew a shop carrying it offhand? Wonder how recent this video is? (I am a HUGE Fan of FINN JONN's work).

Anyway Mike Danata, if you get here, let me be the first to welcome you!

Aloha
-MikeC
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Mikale, He mea iki!
ko'u hoaloha!

If Mike Danata gets here let me be the second to say "E komo mai!" to him. I saw him in Greece on Rhodes Island when he was doing his Barry Manilow look and sing a like magic act. Poetry! (The act included the floating ball that this thread is all about).

If you want a self contained floating ball there is the one with a see through cloth ( the name slips me), but the moves are rather limited.
Unlike the zombie however it does float either side and completely away from the cloth right down to the floor and above the cloth ( rather like Losander's bubble before the zombie part of this).

It is a cheap alternative and may be worth looking into.

A hui hou!
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
Not Bad Lee, are you part Hawaiian too?

(For Mike Danatas' reference, "E Komo Mai" means "Welcome".)

* * * Per Lees' last post:

If you want a self contained floating ball there is the one with a see through cloth ( the name slips me), but the moves are rather limited.

Unlike the zombie however it does float either side and completely away from the cloth right down to the floor and above the cloth ( rather like Losander's bubble before the zombie part of this).

Hmmm... Sound a lot like ASTROSPHERE?

Some General Thoughts re: General practical floating, (expanding on some of the ideas above also).

Some suggestions:

If you perform under NUMEROUS DIFFERENT CIRCUMSTANCES without much control of your LIGHTING & ANGLES:

* ZOMBI is probably your most practical, do-able Floating effect.

Though not exactly "Free-floating", the audience "remembers" it that way. (There are some nice "Advanced moves" in JEFF McBrideS' Video "MCBRIDE MAGIC ONSTAGE VOL. 3". I very much reccomend getting it to do a ZOMBI routine with the best manipulations currently possible).

Its' ability to be done under many (sometimes hostile) conditions made it a favorite with magicians on the "Niteclub" curcuit in the 40's and 50's

(ZOMBI creator, American JOE KARSON had a reputation of being a very fine NITECLUB performer. He apparently picked up a toilet tank ball one day and pondered the possibilities... The rest is History. If his family had royalties from every ZOMBI sold... It boggles the mind.)

* In a similar vein you could also perform a good FLOATING TABLE routine (Such as DIRK LOSANDERS. I've seen Dirk do this live and RIDICULOUSLY Close-up. Its' truly an "all-condition" wonder).

2. If you have SOME CONSISTENT CONTROL of LIGHTING & ANGLES (Audience mostly out front, Major light sources being
* colored lights from directly overhead or from the sides.
* No strong WHITE lighting from directly in front,
* and audiences starting at around 12 feet,
You can likely perform:

* KEVIN JAMES'FLOATING ROSE
(A FLOATING EFFECT that doesn't start out as a FLOATING EFFECT, but as

1. an Animated ball of crushed paper,
2. then Paper fold to rose,
3. then a BRIEFLY floating Paper Rose,
4. and finally a visible suprising transformation to a real Rose
5. AND a GIVEAWAY to the lady!

(From a ROUTINING standpoint it keeps the audience guessing, a series of smaller effects that leads to an emotional payoff. It is practical and do-able. Hmmm, why am I not doing this trick?)

* ASTROSPHERE

A good effect, though there are many models and unfortunately some are buit far better than others. There is a line involved though generally camoflauged, but it is "Hanging out there" sometimes and close Platform use should probably be avoided.

Still, if you find a number of dramatic poses, you can sell it well as an artistic presentation.

I find it pretty, but wish there were a greater degree of seperation of ball and cloth. This method will suprise audience members familiar with the ZOMBI technique (Legion unfortunately).

The absolute best Video version of ASTROSPHERE I've seen is in a Japanese "Magic Video DEMO" catalog circa about '94 performed by an older Japanese gentleman.

More thoughts later.

Magical Aloha
-MikeC
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Quote:
On 2004-10-20 20:55, Mike Ching (Hawaii) wrote:
Not Bad Lee, are you part Hawaiian too?

The absolute best Video version of ASTROSPHERE I've seen is in a Japanese "Magic Video DEMO" catalog circa about '94 performed by an older Japanese gentleman.

More thoughts later.

Magical Aloha
-MikeC

No Mike I am not Hawaiian, or even part Hawaiian - I just wanted you to feel at home! (Oh the wonders of the search engine - hey that's just blown my secret!! - Aiâ!Auê!).

Thank you for a great post - you summed up the effects well. Yes it is Astrophere that I am talking about. Mine I purchased from Hungary, although I am not sure if it was made there too. The box says Butterfly Ball.
The demo at the convention was done on a dealers stand in bog standard daylight at close range, and there was still nothing to be seen ( the selling point). I have had it years and it is still as good as new, even after hundreds of performances.

For a "dancey" performance this is great as you can expand your moves. For the "straight" magician the moves are very limited.

I would love to see the Japanese magician do this on the video. They seem to have such finesse are are always more relaxed and graceful! Any ideas who this is?
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Don Wayne Floating Ball (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.74 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL