The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Making a street Table top (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
I would have commented, but I haven't been on here for a while. But you had recommended exactly what I had already done. So maybe I would have just nodded, and moved along...

Now others have also commented I will too. I think it is a great idea. Why wouldn't I. I have been using mine for about three years.

My top frame is a nice black lacquer look, I had looked at several second hand shops for the right frame, and ended up buying it at discount department store. The frame sits about 1/2 inch about the surface black outdoor carpet I used, and it works great for cups and balls. Nothing, not even oranges roll off the table top. The back of the top is painted with the word MAGIC.

My top sits on a Keyboard stand that has rubber on the legs where the top sits.

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
Magic1
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
394 Posts

Profile of Magic1
Great stuff
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-04-06 14:59, Bobert wrote:
Instead of a picture frame I used a corkboard. you know the boards you use to pin up notes and stuff. Also for a base you can pick up a folding camping table at your local walmart for about 20 USD. Just secure your top with velcro.

The folding tables I've seen at Wally World at short, meant to be set up next to a folding chair.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Bobert
View Profile
New user
Stephenville TX
88 Posts

Profile of Bobert
The one I have is perhaps just a little short but not bad for me. It could also depend on what our different walmarts stock. probably a regional thing
pslaughter
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of pslaughter
Hey there!

First time I've read this. I haven't been on in a while.

I love the idea of using the picture frame! Miter saws and me just don't get along!

Thanks for sharing Mario. I apprecieated it!
pslaughter
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of pslaughter
Hey there!

First time I've read this. I haven't been on in a while.

I love the idea of using the picture frame! Miter saws and me just don't get along!

Thanks for sharing Mario. I apprecieated it!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Sharp cutting equipment and me don't get along at ALL!
Ain't life unkind?"
Chopingboard
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Chopingboard
What is the shortest a table can be to fit on your key board stand? I have materials for making a table top around the house and I don't want to make one that's too short, but I don't want a large table either.
Nate Green
View Profile
New user
Working my way past
74 Posts

Profile of Nate Green
Chopingboard,

Your question is not an easy one to answer. Your table needs to be built to suit you. For example, my table is on a the third adjustment notch of my keyboard stand. This puts my table at about waist high which is comfortable for me. If you head to your local music store, tape measure in hand, and check out the keyboard stands you may get a general idea of what will be best for you.

Kind regards,
Nate
Chopingboard
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Chopingboard
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m67/c......4818.jpg

I just made it. I used cotton velour instead of crushed velvet. The top is more of a teal in person. I think I'm gonna hit the streets for my first timeprobably next week. I'm super excited and nervous.
Nate Green
View Profile
New user
Working my way past
74 Posts

Profile of Nate Green
Chopingboard,

Alright, you cranked out a table top! Please post on how things go once you get out there.

Regards,
Nate
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Thank you for all the tips....I need another one Smile

Everywhere I want to work is on a slope! Any suggestions for adjustable legs to add to the table top?

thanks,

Danny
Nate Green
View Profile
New user
Working my way past
74 Posts

Profile of Nate Green
Danny,

You could make a table similar to the pdf instructions that Michael Ammar offers on his website. I made one like this and it seems to work better for sloped areas as it only has three legs. For $8.95 you can't go wrong! http://store.ammarmagic.com/ammar-perfor......ns1.html

-Nate
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-04-12 19:02, Nate Green wrote:
Danny,

You could make a table similar to the pdf instructions that Michael Ammar offers on his website. I made one like this and it seems to work better for sloped areas as it only has three legs. For $8.95 you can't go wrong! http://store.ammarmagic.com/ammar-perfor......ns1.html

-Nate

Oh no. I don't think so. That's asking for WAY more carpentry skills than I have.

Incidently, Is there any reason why I should use a piece of plywood rather than just attach the padding/fabric directly to the original backing the frame will come with?
Ain't life unkind?"
Nate Green
View Profile
New user
Working my way past
74 Posts

Profile of Nate Green
Hello Ed,

Even though we have not met, I am willing to bet that you could tackle making the Ammar table! Smile

The plywood will help in that you will have a more rigid surface to perform cups and balls etc. on. Attaching the fabric to the backing of the picture frame makes me think that the center of your "table" would be a bit flimsy. Furthermore, plywood gives you a better surface for attaching table legs.

-Nate
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1738 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I recently made a table from a picture frame. Searching Home Depot to come up with a way to hold the table top against the inside of the frame fame, I came up with aluminum angles. They're 1/8 of an inch thick, and, of course, weight next to nothing. Using self tapping screws, I fixed one side of the angle to the frame, and relied on the pressure from the other side of the angle and the lip of the frame to hold the top in place.
I made the table 16x24 because at 24" I can open my keyboard stand, have it press against the bottom of my table frame, and it is just the right height for me.
Chopingboard
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Chopingboard
Quote:
On 2011-04-13 06:19, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
Danny,

-Nate

Oh no. I don't think so. That's asking for WAY more carpentry skills than I have.

Incidently, Is there any reason why I should use a piece of plywood rather than just attach the padding/fabric directly to the original backing the frame will come with?

I made my table without having to cut wood. The glass I had on my frame was a thick acrylic and it adds good weight to the table. If you can get a frame with acrylic instead of glass, you can just put some cotton batting and crushed velvet or cotton velour on top. A frame should hold the fabric in place so it doesn't slip.no nails
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Quote:
Danny,

-Nate

Thanks Nate,

I am looking forward to building it already!

May God shower blessings on you and your table Smile

Danny
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Ed, you can have most any hardware or lumber store make all of your cuts for you. Home Depot or Lowe's will do it. It may take some time to get it done so don't be in a hurry. After that a few nails and some glue, if you have ever used scissors, paper and glue I bet you could build a lot more that you realize. The cuts are the hard part. When I was on the road and didn't have my tools I used this service often and built some amazing things.

Having a plan, like Ammar's pdf, makes life so much easier than having to figure it all out on your own. It's like building a model once the cuts are made and the plan tells you what to have cut.

Thanks for sharing his table Nate.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
We have a betting pool in the house; "How long before Dad puts something in the project upside down and when will he relize it?"
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Making a street Table top (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL