The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Attraction Of Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I had posted some time back that I was going to definitely going to delve deeper into putting together a mentalism show after years of doing mostly straight magic...now I have a bit of cash (just a bit) and I am purchasing some of Osterlinds DVDs to hopefully learn from the best that is out there.

Just a few observations here on what I find so appealing about this facet of the art.

For one, I believe I am on the right track as far as trimming down my load that I will have to carry in my car. Prop wise, it seems that you can really go "pack small play big" with mentalism. I find this vastly appealing, as for years I hauled around tons of tables and suitcases of props. Needless to say, this was a real drag.

I mean when you consider set up and tear down time..and the physical energy that I had to expend...mentalism seems like a welcome relief. Everything should fit in a small briefcase or my pockets.

Another appeal is the prospect of being able to enter any room and not have to worry about sight lines and angles as much as I did in straight magic. Seems to me that mentalism could play just about any room. No matter what the logistics.

I think these two things are at the top of my list of personal appeals. Now let me ask the million dollar question: Am I correct in my observations? Is a mentalism act really that much more versatile and compact than a straight magic act? or am I chasing elusive pipe dreams here?

Please be honest with me.

Yes, I really do cherish the idea of packing an entire act into small, light weight briefcase! (Just to re-iterate)

Thanks
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I think that you are quite right.
But there is one more thing that is important to me.
I have studied and performed magic for 40 years. I don't think that anybody ever really believed that the woman was actually sawn in half.
I never really produced anything. (People knew that I was getting it from somewhere, etc., etc.
Now it may have been because I was a bad magician.
But I think that the possibility for "real magic" is more possible with mental work. There are also great opportunites to better connect with your audience.
Just my opinion.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3203 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
I’m no expert, but here’s what I’ve found:

Mentalism definitely packs light. Still it’s not any lighter than coins cards or rubber bands. Depending on what you are doing, angles can still be an important consideration. A lot of stuff isn’t as visual as strong “straight magic”, so the impact has to come from your presentation. The environment in which you perform is still important.

Thanks,

Elliott
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
I've heard it said that mentalists are unnerved by the number of magicians who flock to mentalism due to its "packs light, costs less" temptation. In a way, I agree with them - sort of.

By that, I mean that we should perform the sort of act which best fits our personalities, our worldview, and interests us. Mentalism *looks* easier, but - in my opinion - is far harder. It requires greater acting skill (and acting background), immense knowledge (of psychology, sociology, current events, and various types of trivia such as "What's the size of the local phone book?" and "How many pages of this magazine have no advertising?"), a great sense of personal responsibility (since some people will - if you do this right - think you can psychic'ly solve their problems), and a respect for one's audience which many magicians just don't seem to have.

That said, if you've gone through Corinda, Annemann, Hay, and Osterlind (PLEASE read his books!) then you probably already know all this.

(says the guy who considers himself a rookie, but who has received immense help from some VERY wise professionals)

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Thanks for those good pointers!

For me the "Packs Small Plays Big" aspect is a large factor, when you consider how very HEAVY and cumbersome my show was..I had to have my two strapping boys unpack and help me set up, and I am getting older and don't have the gumption/stamina to haul all that stuff...but my boys are grown up and have their own lives now. So for me this is a critical factor and pretty much a neccesity or a matter of survival!

But I do appreciate your enlightening comments!
Posted: Nov 25, 2005 7:55am
Quote:

On 2005-11-25 00:04, Parson Gary Smith wrote:
I think that you are quite right.
But there is one more thing that is important to me.
I have studied and performed magic for 40 years. I don't think that anybody ever really believed that the woman was actually sawn in half.
I never really produced anything.(People knew that I was getting it from somewhere, etc., etc.
Now it may have been because I was a bad magician.
But I think that the possibility for "real magic" is more possible with mental work. There are also great opportunites to better connect with your audience.
Just my opinion.
Peace,
Parson

This too was well spoken and well received!
Paradise
View Profile
Elite user
sheffieldEngland
416 Posts

Profile of Paradise
That was the attraction for me as well.

I am currently working on trying to pack an act into a credit card wallett, basically with business cards, both blank and pre printed.

I have come up with about five effects for inclusion so far, still seaerching for a few more befor I refine the contents
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
To offer a variation on Parson's post, I look at it from a related, but slightly different, angle.

Over the course of years, I began to use a litmus test for the effects I spend time learning (and, ideally, incorporating), I ask myself: if I really had some sort of magical, supernatural, or extraordinary abilities, would I perform this effect?

What I eventually came to was this: if I actually had magical abilities, I would not be producing vases full of fake flowers, turning women into tigers, or turning 8 silks into 1 large colorful silk. I wouldn't be pulling knots off of ropes, doing pressure fans, or making coins jump around under the cover of cards.

Not that those things can't look absolutely magical -- I still do some of those things because I do understand their appeal, that there is a visceral reaction to (some) of those kinds of effects that is joyful and fascinating.

But mentalism, far more often than magic, passes that logic test. And that makes mentalism far more attractive to me -- when the effect makes sense for me to perform, I enjoy performing it more, I'm more comfortable with performing it, it's easier to create a thoughtful, logical presentation, and it better fits my persona.

--Josh
inorthcott
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of inorthcott
Great thread,

My act fits into a pilot size briefcase and has everything I need for an hour long show.

The other comments on this thread are invaluable.

Thank you again.

Ian
"Life's too short for wasting - for ifs and might have beens"
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5835 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
An honest question:

If packs small is your first criteria and how it fits you is of little concern, why not start doing stand up comedy or keynote speaking?

Tom
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I am not sure what keynote speaking is. Please explain.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6448 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Because it's hot right now... is the basic answer I've seen. I'm constantly asked by great close up guys for ideas on how to put some mentalism in their act.
As I've said time and time again, you rarely find the mentalism guys asking how they can put a matrix coin effect in their act.
Oh, well... I'm sure in a few years something else will get hot and the mob will sway that way.
I'm just holding my breath and waiting.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Dougydaff, a keynote speaker is just that - one who delivers an address designed to present the issues of primary interest to an assembly (as a political convention) and often to arouse unity and enthusiasm. By that definition, I am a keynote speaker who delivers lectures on "Taking Control of Our Diabetes." (I seem to be rather busy with these lectures, and they interfere with me trying to build a magic career. Oh bother!)

My props 'n' paraphenalia includes overhead slides OR a Powerpoint CD and a pocket tape recorder. Before I travel to whatever town, surveys (& pens) are mailed to the host. You can't ask for a smaller "packs small" than that.

If you're mainly looking for a less bulky way to perform magic, might I suggest a study of Jeff McBride's *Magic On Stage* Vol One ("the Commando Act")? He'll show you a way to pack a Herrmann amount of magic into one little rollaround piece of luggage.

If you want to study and perform mentalism because you love mentalism and because it fits your style and personality - don't let any of us discourage you.

Take Greg's advice very seriously - he's one of those wise professionals to which I referred - and to which I defer.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
OK, now I'm no longer clueless as to what key note speaking is! Thanks!

So as to the question why don't I do that instead...well, truthfully, I thrive on astonishment (giving it to others)...magic has filled that void, and I believe mentalism can too.

I don't see key note speaking as a way of bringing to fruition that little value on my particular value hierarchy. Nope.. It's definitely got to involve amazement in some form or other. If I can walk away leaving 'em totally metagrobalized, them I'm happy and all is right with the world.

Isn't that lovely? (To quote Marvin Martian)
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I too have recently began constructing a mentalism act.

As it turns out, my personality and presentation skills make this an easier move for me than it might be for other magicians.

I like the high level of audience impact, and the fact that method is secondary or tertiary and often not even within the audiences grasp, as performer influence/acting/presentation is uppermost for the success of the act.

I too have been largely encouraged by Osterlind's DVD, I have Mind Mysteris, 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7, and independently purchased Osterlind's Design Duplication and Stainless Steel Blindford. Between Osterlind, Banacheck, and Docc Hilford I have a pretty good foundation for my act.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Tom Cutts,
Hello friend.
I think that comedy and public speaking can be enhanced by mental effects.
It may be easier and more rewarding to some to do it this way.
One person that comes to mind is Chuck Hickock... member of NSA and does much speaking... still using the tools of our trade.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-11-25 21:11, BroDavid wrote:
I too have recently began constructing a mentalism act.

As it turns out, my personality and presentation skills make this an easier move for me than it might be for other magicians.

I like the high level of audience impact, and the fact that method is secondary or tertiary and often not even within the audiences grasp, as performer influence/acting/presentation is uppermost for the success of the act.

I too have been largely encouraged by Osterlind's DVD, I have Mind Mysteris, 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7, and independently purchased Osterlind's Design Duplication and Stainless Steel Blindford. Between Osterlind, Banacheck, and Docc Hilford I have a pretty good foundation for my act.

BroDavid

David..you are thinking along the same lines as I am. Choose amoung the best material from Banacek, Osterlind, etc., and basicly create a unique an personal act from that material.

So far I have ordered about three of Osterlinds DVds, as I don't have a lot of money to play with..I was wondering. Which of MR. Osterlinds effects are you really favoring right now?

Posted: Dec 2, 2005 7:05pm
My DVDs arrived today, and I want to shout! These are even better than I had dared imagine! The material in them is just the best!

And I was correct...Mr Osterind verbally confirmed (On the "real secrets" section) what I had surmised...the less props, the better. The props are not the entertainment..YOU are. Therein lies the original challenge...to entertain an audience with minimal props. This is what appealed to me from the begining.

I'm a happy camper, for sure.
mackmania
View Profile
Regular user
Orange County
137 Posts

Profile of mackmania
I agree with many people here. If you a pull a rabbit out of a hat, you know it's a trick. Mentalism seems to be more. Now, I believe in disclaimers, but I've never had a performance where afterward someone came up to me and said "can you really read minds?" This is what attracts people to Mentalism. It's the last area of magic that seems to maybe, just maybe, have some merit beyond simple tricks. As James Randi once said, "Never mind pulling the rabbit of the hat, how did you know my phone number?"

Cheers,
mackmania
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." ---Joseph "the Amazing" Dunninger
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
Quote:
On 2005-11-25 14:03, Greg Arce wrote:
Oh, well... I'm sure in a few years something else will get hot and the mob will sway that way.
I'm just holding my breath and waiting.

Greg

I'm with you...
And here's my bet : Bizarre and Geek Magic.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-12-02 20:01, mackmania wrote:
This is what attracts people to Mentalism. It's the last area of magic that seems to maybe, just maybe, have some merit beyond simple tricks.

That's almost precisely what Osterlind said on the DVD.
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Quote:
On 2005-11-24 23:39, daffydoug wrote:
I had posted some time back that I was going to definitely going to delve deeper into putting together a mentalism show after years of doing mostly straight magic...now I have a bit of cash (just a bit) and I am purchasing some of Osterlinds DVDs to hopefully learn from the best that is out there.

Just a few observations here on what I find so appealing about this facet of the art.

For one, I believe I am on the right track as far as trimming down my load that I will have to carry in my car. Prop wise, it seems that you can really go "pack small play big" with mentalism. I find this vastly appealing, as for years I hauled around tons of tables and suitcases of props. Needless to say, this was a real drag.

I mean when you consider set up and tear down time..and the physical energy that I had to expend...mentalism seems like a welcome relief. Everything should fit in a small briefcase or my pockets.

Another appeal is the prospect of being able to enter any room and not have to worry about sight lines and angles as much as I did in straight magic. Seems to me that mentalism could play just about any room. No matter what the logistics.

I think these two things are at the top of my list of personal appeals. Now let me ask the million dollar question: Am I correct in my observations? Is a mentalism act really that much more versatile and compact than a straight magic act? or am I chasing elusive pipe dreams here?

Please be honest with me.

Yes, I really do cherish the idea of packing an entire act into small, light weight briefcase! (Just to re-iterate)

Thanks

It seems like your entering this area of magic for all the wrong reasons.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Attraction Of Mentalism (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL