The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Real busker's come forward! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I don’t know who are the real buskers are on hear. I know of a few but there has got to be more than that.
There are some people that give advice but they are not a busker.
Who are the buskers, who are you?
What qualifies you as a busker, can you live, and have you ever lived on just your hat.
Don’t miss hear me, I will take on bookings for sure but it is on bedrock of busking that I have learned my trade.
If you are a new to the trade of busking you have to ask your self this question in regards to street busking, is this guy that is coming out with advise for real or is he just coming out with a pile of tosh. If he making sense then you can be sure he is reciting somthng he has just heard a busker say often with out given any credit to him. I call that theft if it is done with a magic trick.
The Busking community is very supportive because we know what it is to make it on the streets. On hear I really don’t know who is who and this is a real issue some bukers just don’t bother coming hear any more.
A few good photo's of a show can tell two tales it can make one look like a good busker, look at the crowd does it have money if it does not then this is not a busker but a joker. Making every one else a sucker for thinking other wise.
Note down the real buskers these are the guys you will learn from in regards to street work.
For the sake of busking who are the buckers please, we need you hear?
Mario
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5309 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I'm a busker morio!
kozmo
Gazzo
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of Gazzo
I started a thread called "Qualified Advice" that was similar to this one. The bottom line is this- your show makes you and who you are. Being out in the sun crafting all day is what makes you who you are as a busker and entertainer. If you have to resort to coming on to the internet to make a name for yourself, then that is where your name will reside. I have problems with those who make posts that belittle others, those which offer childish advice, those that offer amateur advice, and those which just give bad advice. I have seen some people post multitudes of advice here that I have met for the first time in the past couple of months... the chops just don't match the posts. And that is probably the case many, many times over.

So post away boys, it doesn't matter. And it shouldn't matter to you, Mario. If you try to build your name here, it will stay here. There does seem to be a good ol' boys club here of people who back scratch each other based only on the posts they've read. It is just the way it is. So, I am signing off my friends. I am out of here! Word!

Don't PM me, I will be slow dancing the night away with a midget!
Gazzo
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I get to pretend in the summer. That's as close as I get.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I admire those who learned the "hard way" but there's still something to say for those who take the academic approach. They may not have the "street smarts" that comes from doing it over and over again, but what they have to say shouldn't be deemed valueless just because their knowledge came from books, videos, classes, etc...

This was my first year actually "on the streets" with just a few ventures away from my computer so far, but I wouldn't consider that a reason to discard 20 years of study.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2005-11-25 19:27, Mario Morris wrote:
What qualifies you as a busker, can you live, and have you ever lived on just your hat.
Don’t miss hear me, I will take on bookings for sure but it is on bedrock of busking that I have learned my trade.

I am a full time entertainer. That is my only source of income. I am also the only one in my family working at the moment. The mortgage on my home is paid, food is on the table, and clothes are on our backs.

Most of that is due to the work I did this past summer as a busker. Yes I have lived (quite well) on just my hats. With the odds that were stacked against me by some even I find that quite surprising. Don't believe everything you hear, and believe in yourself. That's what has worked for me.

Since September I have been working mostly paid gigs. Because of my family I do not travel in the winter months so I guess that makes me a seasonal Busker. But when I busk I do it to make my living. That is where my bread is buttered these days. Also, without busking there is no way I could have developed an act that allows me the bookings I am getting this winter.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
My motive behind this thread is what it says under the "The Side Walk Shuffle” title.
Discussions on the serious art of busking

Response to Gazzo
I agree with you on the other hand I actually like this web-site recently I have I asked my self the questions I am wasting my time on hear. So this is my ditch attempt to know the core of the busker's on this site.
I was very disappointed that your thread "Qualified Advice" was axed we need to know who is who. All there is no point to "The Side Walk Shuffle" Forum.

Response to Dave
I disagree with you, if you don’t put into practice what you have learned in the class room then I say don’t Preach what you don’t practice. There is nothing wrong in studying we all should do that but if you have not put into practice then I think it is valueless. Unless you point to your source and give them credit.

Thanks
Mario
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5309 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I beleive in those dvd's and what they teach yo BUT you have to do it before you know what the deal is.....you have to find your own way

koz
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Mario,

I believe in your good intentions now with this thread; I don't post much here myself, because I also feel abused by many of the regulars here as they give off their version of what they feel constitutes "good advice".

But most times it's better to lead than to follow. Instead of complaining the lack of solid busking posts here, the answer might be to simply post more of your own. If there is something you'd like to see discussed, then start the thread and do so. During the course of that thread, the good, the bad, and the Gazzo will get sorted out in it's own time and manner.

Good luck, and don't let the know-it-alls get you down.

Chance
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Chance
It is all ways good to hear from you. As all ways your right but I think it will be helpfull to know who is who.
Mario
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
I mentioned in a post the other day, which is now gone, that most who post here are not full time buskers. My livelihood resides in education. However, I can and do perform on the street in Birmingham from March until October. I also have worked on the street and in festivals alongside a good friend who, although not a busker, makes his living and provides for his family as a full time entertainer.

It is also a fact that, at least in the USA, busking is a dying art. I think you'll be hard pressed to find many here who can say otherwise. It is just a fact as we turn into a nation of mini-malls.

Largely, I do find though, that it doesn't matter. Just like you, Mario, I see people post in this forum who I don't think have the same credentials that their posts imply. Does it matter? No... this is just the internet. I do have faith that these are good people here, maybe trying to build a reputation even amongst each other here on this forum, but good people nonetheless.

And we could name and call them out... my name could be on either list: busker or bullsh*tter. It doesn't matter. I have a good show, make money, and enjoy it. And there are the posts here that are enjoyable to see and read. I enjoy seeing the pictures and videos, even if they represent a person's first time out.

And it isn't just buskers. I have spoken with Steve Baker about this in regards to escape artists. And let me say that just because I can get out of a straitjacket, I am not an escape artist. But on the internet, it is about perception. Steve actually brought it up to me one evening about "internet escape-artists."

I understand the point of your post, and I agree with most of the idea behind it, but I don't think it will ultimately yield the production you may be looking for.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I think I know where your coming from Mario,,,I tried a similar post on the All Tied up and Believe it Or Not sections here,,,,I started the ball rolling by posting my own venues and gigs booked,I got little or no feedback (Which taught me a lot about the internet entertainers) Also in real life, over the years other buskers / entertainers I have worked with and against on the streets and showgrounds know nothing of the Café or indeed have time for let alone own a pc.

Sorting the chalk from the cheese via this medium is impossible so I just take people and believe what they tell me until proved otherwise.

Eventually everyone has to stand up and be counted (Even to themselves)But I am a firm believer in doing rather than saying.

BTW Its B****Y cold here (Im working in Blaina!).
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Danny
Your story is very inspiring, you are new-nick bread, it will be great to know how you developed and what you do in your street shows. I know we have a lot to learn from you.

Jim
You’re a good man and you have been a great help to me.
I have no intention of bad mouthing anyone as this would be unconstructive and this should never be the place for it.
Yes I am more than keen to see photos and video clips of first timers and experienced buskers so we can learn from each other.
I think this should be a safe environment in which we can say “No I am not a busker but I wish to learn or simply enjoy and contribute to the threads”. Or I have that experience and I can teach X, Y, Z.
If I am lead to believe that someone is a busker when he is not, then I am wasting my time and he is wasting his own.
Hats of to frank how is able to call a spade a spade as he said “I get to pretend in the summer. That’s as close as I get.” As far as I am concerned it makes what he does, say and sell far more valuable because now I can see he is serving the Busking community. If you like a friend of busker’s, God knows we need them.
Mario
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
The title of this forum seems to be perfect. "DISCUSSIONS on the serious art of busking." It's no different than a movie reviewer who doesn't act, a food critic who doesn't cook, etc... It's up to the reader to make up his own mind the value of the answers, based on the writer's past history, knowledge, etc.

I would imagine that (with a few exceptions)most buskers are too busy on the streets to spend time here. The same thing holds true for magic clubs and professional performers.

Quote:
On 2005-11-26 11:07, Mario Morris wrote:

I think this should be a safe environment in which we can say “No I am not a busker but I wish to learn or simply enjoy and contribute to the threads”.

To satisfy your request for attribution, rather than say it myself I'll just quote your words and say that dreaded two word answer, "me too."
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5309 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I'm a busker!

koz
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
I'm not sure I understand this phenomenon. Why does busking produce so many wannabees and Walter Mittys? Especially since all those guyd could easily go out there and do it. Why do people pretend to be buskers? What's the attraction?
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5309 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I'm a busker!
koz
RWhit
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of RWhit
Koz is a busker
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Koz your a comedian but I think he make a better Street Busker.

It be great to hear some of your insight beyound "I am a Busker".

Mario
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Quote:
On 2005-11-26 13:10, Dave VanVranken wrote:
The title of this forum seems to be perfect. "DISCUSSIONS on the serious art of busking." It's no different than a movie reviewer who doesn't act, a food critic who doesn't cook, etc.

Buskers don't come hear to be reviewed and you should not. The word you should highlight is SERIOUS. You are missing the point of this thread I am not having a go at you Dave. Slow down and catch up.
Mario
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Real busker's come forward! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL