We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best way to practice? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Any ideas on how to practice mentalism? the problem is its difficult getting in front of enough people to try out material. In the past I used to try out material as part of a hypnosis show. Back then hypnosis shows were easy to book and you got paid well to try out mentalism material at the same time in front of a real audience.

Problem now is at work, in pubs or wherever doesn't seem to be the right setup to try out material. Table hopping is non existent over here and booking a mentalist is a very rare occurance. So how does one get the practice to develop presentations?

This seems like a real problem. anyone got any ideas?
DonMarco
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of DonMarco
Shrink,

I'm with you brother! It's difficult to practice reading minds when there are no minds but your own to practice with!

Sure, you could get your billet switches down, or work with silverware till you are blue in the thumb!

But...the only thing I can give you is this...I found that in order to practice this type of material, I would have to work it in front of real people.

I don't know where you are from, but I've found very generous "moose lodge, etc." audiences that are (a) not used to such entertainment, and (b) too tipsy to catch you out...and I've honed it all in front of such audiences...

I guess, in the long run, it's hard to practice mindreading by yourself, so a low stakes appearance is my suggestion for "practice"...sounds like you may already be doing that, though.

Don Marco
"Imagination is the Only Reality"-- Marquis de Sade
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Sir T
I am just finishing up the Lee Earl tapes and he offers up some really good ideas, some that I never thought of and to be honest look very promising indeed! Check out his tape series, money making mentalism.

Kevin Smile
PK
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of PK
How about working for free? I'm sure the residents at a retirement home would enjoy an evenings free entertainment. You get on the job practice.

In fact there are countless places you can work for free to get the performance experience you require.

Once you get good, then start charging!
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1420 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Print up flyers or cards and post them around town. Preform (a little) for family and friends at get togethers. Chances are, that word will get out that you are good.
Remember, that if you book performances for free, you are sending the message that you "perform for free". Be selective. Have things on hand that you carry with you at all times, and do for folks when the opportunity arises. What I'm talking about here is, patience and awareness.
Buy information if you can afford to do so.
Don't go broke trying to find out "how to get started". Join a local magic club. Get to know the other performers/magicians.
Building relationships is what building a career is about in this field. That's ultimately what you do when in front of a crowd. Or just one on one !
Good luck ! Smile
Larry Becker
View Profile
V.I.P.
241 Posts

Profile of Larry Becker
I've posted this elsewhere, but for those who haven't seen it, here goes: As a prostate and colon cancer survivor I have for many years provided programs to service organizations and corporations that are designed to provide 25 minutes of entertainment and 5 minutes of the "message." The lead-in to the message can be a simple, "What you have witnessed today is an illusion of the mind...but prostate cancer is no illusion. If you are 40 years of age or older it is vitally important that you have an annual prostate cancer examination. It can save your life. It saved mine!" Most organizations such as Kiwanis, Rotary, Lions, etc. are always looking for good programs for their weekly meetings. Make it a point to contact the program chairmen and inform them of your availability. Most programs are of 30 minute duration. Be sure to obtain permission in advance to place copies of your brochure at each table. During your show you can note that your program is just a sample of your regular show and if they are interested in contacting you for a banquet, coporate event, etc. they can refer to your brochure at their table for additional information. This is a win-win-win situation. The service organization has a free program, the organization you represent, i.e., American Cancer Society, etc. gets their message out to the public and finally, you get that much needed practice in front of a live, appreciative audience.

If anyone has any questions, please contact me offline.
Visit our website: www.MentalismUnlimited.com
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I think I need to re-think and mabey commit myself to some performing. Although some of the ideas here sound good here in the UK it might be a bit different. At least in Scotland.

In the past I used to regularly perform to 1000 spectator audience with hypnosis. Also performerd some mentalism to the smaller clubs universities etc. Hypnosis was easier to get bookings and was main part of program.

That was a few years back now. And it seems like mind readers or mentalists aren't really in demand on their own.

Anyway something to think about thanks.. Smile
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1420 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Thanks,Larry ! I have not seen your other posts regarding this, and I didn't know about the prostate cancer. That's a potent message ! And it's wonderful to know how well you are doing. I'm diabetic, and know how precious life can be each and every day.
I feel very lucky to be who I am,(even with what I have). And now I feel even more fortunate to have someone like yourself around. To keep learning from and sharing, what it takes to "survive" in "the real world". That's a "mental miracle" ! God Bless.
Brash
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of Brash
Larry, that is the best idea that I have ever heard.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best way to practice? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL