The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfield Flying (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
Has anyone been so close they've seen "the secret"? Just curious. Don't reveal...just tell. I sat front row in 96 and had no luck. Wonderful.
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
I don't think anyone here has ever sat so close that they saw the secret, but I do believe at least one member here helped with the set up "back in the day." I won't say who, because I don't want to unintentionally flood them with a bunch of PM's from lurkers who simply want to know the secret. David, like most performers, has a crew but also picks up a few extra hands in whatever city they are in, so someone was bound to see something.

I remember seeing it, I think, 10 years ago (boy time flies, huh?) and it is indeed one of the most amazing things to watch. Johnny Gaughan (and Copperfield) should be proud of himself for it. Although rumor has it that is wasn't so "wonderful" once. Apparently during a rehearsal Copperfield fell, injuring himself.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
You'd hear it before you ever saw it.

Best,

Tim
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2005-11-27 23:40, Timothy Drake wrote:
You'd hear it before you ever saw it.

Best,

Tim

Yup! Those jet engines on his belt can make quite a racket! Smile Smile
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
John Gaughan, owns the patent plans for it and they are listed on the internet in the US patent area.

It's no secret because Peter Pan has been doing it on stage for years!
Dennis Michael
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Well, Peter Pan has been doing A version for years... not necessarily THE Gaughan/Copperfield style. Most productions of Barrie's story over hte years have used "Foy" style flying rigs which aren't as mobile or hidden.

Having seen "Flying" live, it is very impressive. Having seen the patent drawings makes it even more so!
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
On a related note (although not enough that I think it's off-topic) there was a time when Doug Henning did the "Floating Ball" and the gimmicks were visible on TV! It can be seen on a special that was taped in Walt Disney World's EPCOT Center. I have a second-generation video copy and it's visible, so I assume it was not just visible, but apparent, on the original broadcast.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Reminds me of wire-fu in movies... I also remember downloading some video, in a different language, of some guy exposing DC stuff.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Richard Kaufman, Genii boss, has actually been in the rig and flown around the parking lot at John Gaughan's shop. I took the photos and even in broad daylight just feet away I couldn't see ANYTHING.

Watch for the pictures in Genii when we do the Gaughan story.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
246 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
How many of you guys use some sort of flying/levitation in your own shows? I've been talking with Delbert Hall about building a rig for my next show and was wondering what advice you guys had to offer...
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Watch the making of the new Superman Movie. The rigging for that fills a warehouse and does so many strange and wonderful things. Unfortunately, some of the devices cannot be used on a stage, only in the movies.
Dennis Michael
Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
246 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
Cool clip. Think they would take an IOU for one of those rigs?
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Profile of collective foundry
I will second Den - many of the devices used to fly on stage are being used in the movies, its just the SPAN of what they are using are appropriate for their use. Obviously green-screen and some of the crazy devices aren't supposed to be used for stage. David's version is much different. For ( a stage and FILM company) uses the principles of what you saw at the warehouse for the SM shoot. The rigging for flying is fairly uniform and it can be found in many ILLUSION used flying situations on stage. They ARE being used for stage and ARE practical and deceptive. (some do not do so well I've seen some bad use of the technology and some fantastic use of the technology-depends who your TD & flymaster are)
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

If you want to fly...Then you must recognize it will cost money. It should be done on a stage where one would be permanently performing like in Las Vegas; Branson, Missori; Niagra Falls, Canada; Near Disney World, etc.
Dennis Michael
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

On the same lines:
To get one built by one of the big boys is hundreds of thousands of dollars. (on a side note , renting a flying rig from FOY would be much more practical in the less permamanent of worlds) Tourable versions are out there. And you don't HAVE to be in a permanent venue but getting a more tourable version is going to cost a lot of money. Overall in any venue its going to be expensive and take a few (2 to 7 ) members to get you going. But again: its not uncommon to have one on tour. I think it'd be MUCH easier to do a permanent install, but then again how practical is it to tour with 2 to four trucks of gear right?
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Quote:
On 2005-11-29 11:56, reedrc wrote:
(some do not do so well I've seen some bad use of the technology and some fantastic use of the technology-depends who your TD & flymaster are)

Ryan's got a solid point there. I have seen a pretty famous illusionist (its on his DVD, and no its not Copperfield) totally ruining the effect with the secret visible not just once but a few times and for more than just a quick glimpse.

Flying is a great effect but it takes great care to set up and maintain. Of course one could use a "simple" rig that provides up and down movement only, using the fan array system. That would pack kinda small-given the venue has a system to hook it up to. And then again, that's not flying.

Dream Concepts in England offers many different flying rigs and levitation effects. How they perform in comparison to other rigs out there, I have no idea as I have never seen one or talked to anyone who owns one.
Sent from my Typewriter
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

I agree. There definitely is a difference between the 150+K version and the one from Foy for Peter Pan.

I like Foy. I love their stuff. Just does not have the same bing as the Gauhan version. I heard Peter Foy was floored by DC's version. But that's just what DC says. (and who knows what really happened) One has a degree of full axis the other relies more on swinging the character and more of good old fashion rope and pulley. I guess it all depends on what your trying to accomplish.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Do any of you tink that the trick can be overdone? I really like the way Rick Thomas uses it ... he floats up to pass a hoop around the levitating girl, and gently lands again. Just enough to look graceful, elegant, and astounding.
Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
246 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
I always tend to think simple and straight forward is better. The rig I'm building is a simple counterweight pendullum rig for a straight-up flight to close my show. The audience won't see me go more than one direction before the curtain closes. The system is simple, packs small and is easy to transport. The only thing I'll really need from venue to venue is cable which you can get pretty cheap. Of course I have to set up the rig myself, but I don't mind.
Dream-Concepts
View Profile
New user
UK
95 Posts

Profile of Dream-Concepts
MV - our systems are used by everyone from magicians right thru to a very large famous national ballet company in their world famous Swan Lake production for a very clever re-imagined underwater sequence.

Starrpower - Rick Thomas doesn't use a wire / flying system for the ffect you describe, that's Gary Oulette's "airtime" illusion.

Ben Ross - I'm not 100% on the position in the USA but in europe if you're going to make a person fly you have to use certified and approved equipment, nothing you could make yourself. Check the legal position before you spend any cash build somthing you might not be able to use.
Our annual sale of Costumes & props is now on - view them at www.IllusionExchange.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfield Flying (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL