The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Kennedy's Tell tale Factor (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1734 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
First, thanks go to Mr. Rowland for mentioning Prevaricator. That was very kind of you, indeed. You are nothing short of a gentleman.

I'd like to clear a few things up. While Prevaricator is an effect it is also a principle(s) that hasn't seen print before. The principles behind Prevaricator may be applied in many other situations and are not limited to just the Prevaricator/Ring of Truth effect.

Kennedy's Tell Tale Factor is also a principle that may be used to make it appear as though one can really read minds. Kenton Knepper and Alain Bellon both wrote Forewords to this piece of work - that should tell you something. Kenton has certainly explored, as he notes, this area of work before but never laid it out in this much detail with this specific effect intended. Kennedy has done this. The only similarity Kennedy's Tell Tale Factor has to my work is a principle that I put into print inside my modest contribution to mentalism, Mendacity – Experiments in Lying for the Professional Entertainer. I can not outline which, that is under the discretion of Kennedy to properly credit in this case.

Prevaricator is an anytime anywhere effect while Tell Tale Factor is, from my understanding, best suited for a stage environment. It certainly could be performed in other settings; however, it would lose much of its appeal and charm.

I hope this clears up the differences between the two.

-Patrick Redford
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Just want to say that Patrick's routine is really really amazing. I recommend his book Mendacity, his ideas with a cell phone are amazing! His book is a collection of great routines for the mentalist and magician. His thoughts opn lying are really nice too and certainly made me think. I have always wondered "when do we stop lying?" its a strange one.

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
"Shush now, I am a very funny guy and the intelligent people know it. "

Now was that NLP at work? Or some Kentonism?
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2005-12-01 16:53, Scott Xavier wrote:
"Shush now, I am a very funny guy and the intelligent people know it. "

Now was that NLP at work? Or some Kentonism?


Salsaism.
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
742 Posts

Profile of Roki
Kennedy , would you say this is a stage only effect . Are the new principles limited to the context of a large group who don't know each other or some distance from the performance . In other words is it a stage method .
I know you had previously found ways around the old watercooler .
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Hi Roki,

It is not strictly limited to stage and I have used it in a small group in informal situations. Most people will agree when I say it is very well suited to stage, but what I like about the Tell Tale Factor is that you can use it at any time as a sort of secret weapon in your arsanel(sp?) for when you want to read minds impromptu as much as on stage.

Anyone who's bought it want to comment on this?

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
As only few friends know, I was absent from the scene for some months due to reasons that were outside of my control and so I missed this new thing Kennedy put out (and I'm sure other things as well).

But I'm sure, knowing Kennedy, his Tell-Tale Factor must be a sneaky and well thought-out principle.

And, hypothetically speaking, if that was not enough to convince me of the worth of that principle, knowing that Alain "Master of Puppets" Bellon has backed it up would convince me beyond any doubts I could have.

So, even if I'm late, well done, Kennedy! Congratulations!
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Thanks Paolo. Just to let people know, my website has now been updated with new bits of info and pictures. There is still more to come in the coming months on there with video and audio clips from live performances.

Cheers for all the support

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
I kick myself for missing this!
I own Kennedy's first book, which has some very clever thoughts and ideas.
I am certain about that this book also is great.
Congratulations to Kennedy and those of you that got it.

Sven
giochi
View Profile
Elite user
481 Posts

Profile of giochi
Tell Tale Factor is a perfect example of the method being better than the effect.
Dr. Zordas
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Dr. Zordas
Quote:
On 2005-12-03 03:04, giochi wrote:
Tell Tale Factor is a perfect example of the method being better than the effect.


...So what's the point in having a 'rubbish' effect then?


Dr. Zordas
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2141 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Quote:
On 2005-12-03 03:37, Dr. Zordas wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-12-03 03:04, giochi wrote:
Tell Tale Factor is a perfect example of the method being better than the effect.

...So what's the point in having a 'rubbish' effect then?

Dr. Zordas
I would not have chosen to explain the thing using playing cards but the method is clever and can be used for many better effects. Otherwise I would have been in 100% agreement with you Dr.Zordas
Andrew Richmond
View Profile
Loyal user
Birmingham - UK
252 Posts

Profile of Andrew Richmond
I didn't think much of the Tell Tale Factor.. No offense.

Just wasn't for me, there are tried and tested ways of revealing thoughts, it is our jobs to make the props invisible. The TTF offers an interesting idea but to me and those I have spoken to feel the same, that this effect reads really well but is nothing when compared to time honoured straight mentalism methods.

The problem I have with it is that it would not get a great reaction from some spectators as it's core principle is something many people know about ie: Cold Reading, we have educated the general public with our psychic busting programmes. I have used CR for years havig studied Ian Roland, Richard Webster, Lee Earle and Kenton I have always used it as an interesting source around a strong effect however I would never expect huge reactions from it nowadays.

I bet you could walk out with a NW and get just as strong a reaction if not stronger than the TTF..
The advertising reads like a dream but alas it does not live up to it's claims. I always find it interesting that when a performer releases something that they claim they use a lot however no one on this forum who saw Kennedy on stage (the perfect place to do the TTF) ever mention him doing it? If it is that good wouldn't you use it on stage? What better way to show everyone just how wonderful it is by doing it live..

I'm not out to discredit anyone and Kennedy seems like a nice enough guy from his postings on this forum but that doesn't mean we can't discuss his releases.. Having studied and read the TTF four times I know that I will still be using my NW, Roulette routine and Blind Fold to get my reactions..

A.R.
"Take a card any card!"
"Why?"
"So I can find it."
"Why?"
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Hi guys, I respect your views 100%. I don't think TTF is a replacement to any technique at all, just like most things in this line of work such as tear or a peek, it is just about having the knowlage so that we can choose from the methods. I know there is a great deal of milage in TTF and a lot can be said for the technique, even if it is not used on its own, but rather as a way of enhancing an effect as a subtlety.

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Andrew Richmond
View Profile
Loyal user
Birmingham - UK
252 Posts

Profile of Andrew Richmond
In all due respect Kennedy, it isn't really marketed as a subtlety.. The marketing is of a clear strong effect that gets great reactions with no writting, impressions etc etc..

Can I ask you why you chose not to do it in your show?

I have heard mixed reviews about the show, I sincerely hope it is going well..

A.R.
"Take a card any card!"
"Why?"
"So I can find it."
"Why?"
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Andrew, the reason I didn't use it in the theatre show was becasue I realise that it is a very difficult routine to pull off and it has to be set in contect. In the show I only had twenty minutes in the first half in which to perform (my second half spot was taken by russian roulette) and I did not want to do any risky type routines in such a short time as one failure would stand out. I had little experience in working theatres with a "mind" show and so wanted to go for stuff that I had worked in the past. Of course, upon reflection I realised that a cabaret show doesn't translate to stage half as easy asd I expected. It was a massive learning curve for all involved.

For next year's shows I have re-routined my first act completely and it does use the Tell Tale Factor. I have run this a few times in my own shows recently and it has played extremely strongly indeed.

Cheers,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
I have no clue about what Kennedy's new book is about. But I have to disagree with Andrew about CR. It can get astonishing reactions from people who have seen exposure programmes on the subject. I have in the past said to people yes your right Im not psychic. And when they mention "cold Reading" I reply I
just read you cold with no prior information that's all it means. It still gets jaw dropping reactions. However I suggest you study some systems rather than just stock phrases it is much more powerful this way. At least this is my experience.

Sounds like you have had a hit Kennedy well done..
Andrew Richmond
View Profile
Loyal user
Birmingham - UK
252 Posts

Profile of Andrew Richmond
Fair comment Shrink..

I however do not only use stock lines, the way I initially started cold reading was via Richard Webster and he had a great idea of mentally cold reading a person whilst you are on the train, bus or in the line at the bank. This is a great way to getting used to analysing people, what they wear, how they hold them selves, do they make eye contact, what are they reading are they open with their emotions ie: laughing, smiling whilst they scan through the paper.. It really boosted my confidence and after two or three journeys into London I had read over a hundred people and they didn't even know it.

Obviously I didn't get their feedback but as an initial practice method it worked a treat.
That was ten years ago since then I have cold read thousands of people and the reactions initially were spot on however over the last 5 or so years the reactions for me have declined to about 50/50, my technique is better, my language is well thought out but none the less the reactions are not as strong. I can only assume from some of the statements that they are wiser to the cold reading techniques..?? Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it is me??

I guess in some ways being 'a performer' as opposed to being a professional reader doesn't set the right mind set for some people?

Kennedy's TTF is an interesting one but even he mentions above he didn't do it as it was risky...
That does not match up to the marketing impression..

My point is and was initially that if Kennedy the creator of the effect doesn't do it in an 'ideal' situation (Stage) why on earth would we? Kennedy has mentioned his reason which IMO is a little weak..

A hit should in my opinion be based not on how many you sell but by people actually using the product successfully...

Again not out to get anyone just some points I feel are relevant with a new product...

A.R.

P.S. out of interest has any one used the TTF??
"Take a card any card!"
"Why?"
"So I can find it."
"Why?"
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Cheers for your views guys, appreciated as ever.

Regarding why I didn't perform TTF in the theatre show, I think I was a bit vague before:

In the first act I have only 20 minutes in which to perform mindreading and mental skills. I had to choose some material for this. The reason for me not using Tell Tale Factor was because it did not fit the routines I had devised. Its the samwe about why didn't I use the other 36 or so effects from my first book Thoughts So Far, time was against me. However in the new year a routine I am doing fits tell tale factor very well indeed so you may very well be able to see it done live. I have and do use TTF in my own cabaret show a si have a longer time period in which to fit things.

I hope that makes sense,

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Graymatter_Fireworks
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, GA
305 Posts

Profile of Graymatter_Fireworks
Andrew,
I have used the TTF to much success.

I do have an initial review posted in the review section. As stated before, I have used it in conjunction with an idea I have been trying to put together for some time. It works beautifully.

Will the TTF replace all of my other information gathering techniques? No it won’t. The primary reason is because the reveal would be too long or unnecessary together with my other routines.

There are many techniques in our art that very few people use. Thus there are many realms left virtually unexplored and I for one am glad about this. I use techniques that many performers find too bold or "unpractical" all the time. Guess what? When a rash of exposure shows surface up, I know my booking won’t be in jeopardy one bit. Nor will my methods.

You have hinted on issues of exposure perhaps watering down cold reading, indeed perhaps such is the case for some spectators. I understand your concern, but personally I have yet to get a mild reaction from a good reading.

Take care,

-Brandon
"The social world in which we live, determines our experience of what is real." - John Gager
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Kennedy's Tell tale Factor (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL