The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Paddle move with kitchen knife (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JeffHall
View Profile
Regular user
Davis, California
161 Posts

Profile of JeffHall
Has anyone done the table magic trick using your kitchen knife/paddle move? This routine is done in Mark Wilson's Book on page 311, Dots Magic. I like using stuff you find at kitchen table for magic. Any opinon?
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
David Acer has a routine where you use a pair of tweezers... grab an item, and do the paddle move, I believe.

Seemed to me to be a pretty creative way of working the common day object.
David Acer
View Profile
V.I.P.
177 Posts

Profile of David Acer
Hi RevJohn,

That's not mine, I'm sorry to say - that's Pete McCabe's, although I did write the trick up for Magicana. It's a bill change called "A Hundred Fold" that appears in the current issue of Genii (December, 2005). And the idea of using long-nose tweezers in this manner actually belongs to John Bannon.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Quote:
On 2005-11-28 14:26, JeffHall wrote:
Has anyone done the table magic trick using your kitchen knife/paddle move? This routine is done in Mark Wilson's Book on page 311, Dots Magic. I like using stuff you find at kitchen table for magic. Any opinon?

John Carney also has an excellent version that would be worth looking into. http://www.carneymagic.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It's an old classic, I believe written up with handlings from Charlie Miller and Dai Vernon... that's where it found its way to John Carney.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
David,

Thanks for the correction... remember reading it, and remembered your effect called, "Photo Finish" and my mind went one way as reality went the other.

You really should let me go with it, cause when I am done, Oooohh the effects you will have created. Amazing. Truly.

John
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Also check Edwin Sachs Sleight of Hand. There is an older effect using the same move with a dinner/butter knife there.
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
I've seen this one written up in various sources, too, but in the ones I recall the butter knife has an obvious orientation -- shown in the line drawings accompanying the directions. The blade is depicted as asymetrical, with an obvious left and right side; bits of paper napkin are stuck on as needed for the pips, and the moves then proceed.

This has always struck me as a weak spot in the presentation -- as a sharp-eyed spec might notice the blade orientation at a critical juncture. However, I've never used this variation. What of it, Magi? Does this one pass under the radar with proper handling, or have you ever been "burned" with this prop?
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
It nwas also written up in classic secretes of magic bruce elliot and john scarnes books.yes this a very old effect

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Quote:
On 2005-12-08 10:35, Leland Stone wrote:

This has always struck me as a weak spot in the presentation -- as a sharp-eyed spec might notice the blade orientation at a critical juncture. However, I've never used this variation. What of it, Magi? Does this one pass under the radar with proper handling, or have you ever been "burned" with this prop?

I noticed the same thing when performing it in restaurants for laymen. I opt to place the "pips" on the handle of the knife rather than the blade. It made the paddle move slightly more difficult, but gave the illusion symmetry that would not have been possible if performed the other way. As David Roth would say," There's a trade off....."

If performed with the proper attitude and audience management, I really don't think it would be much of a problem to peform the way described in print.
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Bill Palmer has a nice little book that gives the history of the paddle move, there are many explinations of the knife paddle.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I've seen a few variations in Hugard's Magic Monthly (or Martin Gardner's Encyclopedia...)too. Hey Vinny, thanks for reminding me about the Bruce Elliot book. I just might have to pull it down off the shelf today.
Er1tro
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
124 Posts

Profile of Er1tro
I've read some years ago a version that uses water to stick three salt or sugar dots on the knife's blade and then remove some of them and let them reappear.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I believe that a version of this may be found in the Self-Working Table Magic book by Karl Fulves (if not that particular book, then one of the Fulves books) and I think that version used little black magnets on a ferromagnetic knife. There are two more books that I have seen this in that are not mentioned above, and at the moment, the titles escape my memory.

I would have to check, but Now You See It, Now You Don't by Bill Tarr may have it as well.
taiga
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicoutimi, Qc
317 Posts

Profile of taiga
Quote:
On 2005-11-28 14:26, JeffHall wrote:

I often did it with the blade cover of salt. Once it is cover, you separate each side of the blade in three parts. then you eliminate one part on one side and the other side seems to "follow" each of your action. Once the three parts of each side have disappear, in a split second the three parts comes back on each side and you repeat the routine of disappearing each parts. At the end, the knife is normal. I always had/have very good reactions with it!
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
I'm a big fan of the butter-knife version. I've been performing it 4-5 years, now, and I've never had a spec point out the discrepancy.
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
The objections regarding the assymetry of the blade are valid, but truthfully (as evidenced by the brilliance of color-changing knife routines that usually have similar "weaknesses")if the move(s) are done smoothly and with good direction, it is excedingly rare that even an eagle-eyed spectator would pick up on the shifting curve of the blade. It's all in the presentation and performance.
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
406 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
It is true that there re routines for the paddle move done with table knives in multiple sources. I fondly remember the routine done with a table knife and small wet pieces of napkin as found in Martin Gardner's fabulous Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic. (That book is a treasure trove for magicians wanting splendid things do "out there.")
runt_jorden
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of runt_jorden
This is a great piece of Magic. Presentation is key to any trick or miracle. People always ask me to the one with knife again when I approach the table à second time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Paddle move with kitchen knife (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL