The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Super Close-Up Mat! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I made a close up pad once using billard felt, carpet pad, a nice picture frame, and a thin piece of plywood.
It was very nice but a pain to carry.
It's just not worth the time and hassel of making them.
I buy the nice ones that last so I can roll it up for ease in transporting.
Daniel Faith
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
Wow! This is really helpful. I might buy a big mouse pad. Smile Smile
~joeKing
Gambit242
View Profile
New user
Monroe, La
68 Posts

Profile of Gambit242
I guess it comes down to how much time you have...It seems like you could spend a TON O' Time running around looking for that "perfect" material or just purchase a close-up pad.

With the price of gas, option two may be cheaper. ;->

Later,
Gambit242
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
I made my table with a removable top that consists of thin plywood covered with "batting" and black velvet. The top can be used as a "pad" if needed but I usually just use the entire table.
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I just use my hands. I've never had a need for close-up pads, because I do more of a "Street Magic" type of show, which is very impromtu and takes place in midair, (supported by my hands of course). Smile Smile Smile
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
I too have purchased the "super-sized" mouse pad from Staples. I have taken it around the block for a test drive and seems to work very well for me. Plus it fits inside my case which is a must for me.

Perhaps it is just a matter of individual taste. One person's trash is another person's treasure.

Peace,
phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
F4n745yDX
View Profile
New user
USA
5 Posts

Profile of F4n745yDX
I'm gettin' me one of those mouse pads!
I rock.
aoresteen
View Profile
New user
Montverde, FL
3 Posts

Profile of aoresteen
I've bought two pads via mail order and have been disapointed. Ant recomendations for a decent pad under $35?

Thanks!
Tony Oresteen
Montverde, FL
oldguy
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of oldguy
Goodyear rubber sells the wet suit material. It's used to make vacuum table blankets in the printing trade. If my memory serves me good, I paid about $1 a square foot for it when I was in business. It should work very well for a close-up pad, clean easy, and last forever.

Make that guess about $3 a square foot for the blanket material.

Tom
Miracle Man Show
View Profile
New user
Indiana
56 Posts

Profile of Miracle Man Show
I just bought one of the "super-size" mousepads at Staples. The price has gone up to $7.99, but still well worth it. Thanks for the tip Jay.
Tom McCormick
"The Miracle Man Show"
There's only one Miracle Man, that's Jesus Christ; I just get to do a show about HIM.
www.themiraclemanshow.com
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
My close up pad is about 30 years. Alas, I guess it is time to replace it too.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
constantine
View Profile
Regular user
Memphi, on the Mighty Muddy
189 Posts

Profile of constantine
The best material I've found is automobile headliner cloth. It's a velvet like finih on a foam rubber backing, a little softer than a Gibson pad.

I put a piece of quarter-inch plywood paneling and the headliner in a metal poster frame. The frame to use is a metal extruion, held together by stacks of L-shaped plates and set screws.

I found mine as a framed poster at a discout store, but thay are a garage sale staple. Remnants of headliner show up a fabric store realy cheap, and I suppose you could get some from an auto upholsterer.
Constatine 49%er
“The way of the transgressor is hard—to quit.”
—Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith
wayno
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of wayno
Constantine: That's an excellent observation. Smile
One thing I've always wondered, is what exactly are most of the close-up mats made out of. I've been hearing a lot of talk about people using mouse pads. My reaction, and experiance with them, is yes, they are shaped like close-up mats/pads, but certainly not a replacement for them.

I'm getting samples of nylon felt used for poker tables shipped in next week to test out, but the close-up mats I have been using are perfect and pretty soft. I'm using the large Bazar de Magia ones myself and they are great, although are lacking in grip on the bottom, so slight modifications are needed with them.
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
http://www.spookclub.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Super Close-Up Mat! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL