The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Ever been the target of real thieves? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hi All,

When we purchased a new cargo trailer to tow behind the van, we thought about having it painted up as a billboard on wheels for us.

When I mentioned this to some entertainer friends, they adviced against it, saying that it would make us the target of thieves and it would be better to leave the trailer unadorned. They said they knew of at least two magicians that had been victims of break ins on their vans or trailers and that it might have been the signage that attracted the thieves.

I never really thought that there would be thieves out there targetting us, but I know some of you have been robbed. So what do you think? Would a thief target a magician's cargo trailer with a sign on it over a plain and unidentified cargo trailer?

Rob
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I've heard both theories. I have one friend with his name and logo emblazoned on his trailer and never had a problem. Another friend has a van with logo and has had it broken into. 2/1 aren't great odds, though.

But, why would our vehicles be more attractive than, say, a plumbers? Is it the sound system they'd be after? Is it the intrigue of a magic trick?

I also had a friend with a beautiful "Medicine Show" wagon which he transported via a larger trailer. It was stolen. Neither were recovered. My friend thinks it was stolen for the transport trailer, and the (far more expensive) medicine show wagon was probably dumped somewere.
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
If you're like my one friend- you watch it like a hawk. Parked always to where you can see it. And if even a child goes by- you wonder and get nervous. He really is protective of it though. Wouldn't blame him. It is a very nice box truck.

best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hey Starrpower,

I never even thought about the sound system being a possible incentive, but of course, that would make sense. Most of our props and equipment (like the Medicine Wagon) are absolutely worthless to the laymen, but electronics...

Hey Matt,

At home, out here in the country, the break in would not be so common. It would be more on the road, staying in hotels where you may have to park your van and trailer out of sight from your room that the problem could occur. Anyway, good luck on your tour Matt. I have been fortunate enough to do the Canadian version of the USO tour into the Balkans. Got to entertain Canadian, Dutch, British and some American NATO troops on my 15 day tour.

All the best,

Rob
mgical
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of mgical
A common trick of truck drivers and builders vans is to park back to back, too close for anyone to get into the back of the van. If you don't have a second van to do this to then use a wall and get right (I mean right up to it!). Stops them just breaking into the back, and stealing the stuff. A steering wheel lock and other stuff doesn't stop a thief, but it does deter them, why go to the hassle when the van/car nearby has none of the security.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Rob,

As a former police officer, I can speak with some level of experience in this department. Starrpower was right on target that theives are after sound systems.

It's not that they specifically target magicians, it's just that they know if there is signage on the exterior of the vehicle promoting an entertainer, there is probably a sound system contained within.

My advice as a former 13 year veteran law enforcement officer - leave the trailer plain jane white. This will not guarantee no break-ins, but it's better NOT to advertise the fact that you have something in there that they'll want.

Having said that, I have a buddy who does a smaller show and used to drive a station wagon. He had his equipment in a new nice ATA style case. The bad guy broke the rear window out and made off with the case (with images of expensive camera equipment dancing in his head I'm sure.) The only consolation that my friend had was imagining the look on the guys face when he opened it to find sponge balls, rope, and a rabbit puppet! LOL!

Moral to that story: Don't leave anything of value (or apparent value) in plain sight in your car. Cover it up or put it in the trunk. Remember, glass is easy to break! ...And although it might never occur to a law abiding citizen just how easily access is gained by smashing a window, to a criminal, it's just another day at work.

Lyndel
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hey Lyndel,

I think you are right in your advice. Whenever we park the van, we cover up the stuff in back with a dark cloth. That and the tinted windows keep it looking pretty empty.

And as for the trailer, as mauch as I would LOVE to decorate up it up and advertise the act, it just isn't worth making it a target.

All the best,

Rob
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Cody Fisher had his van robbed a month or two back. They broke in the side window. Yes, his van was emblazoned with his name.

Michael Ammar was just robbed as well but I don't know if it was from his vehicle. He just said that for the first time someone stole his case.
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Thieves will target any vehicle that has a "perceived" value or contains anything of value. They could care less if it was a magician or a plumbers vehicle. They could also care less if it has anything painted on the outside. Most are looking for easy targets, smash and grab.

The harder you make it for them to get your goodies, the more likely they will move on to an easier target. The above advice regarding parking trailers close to walls or other vehicles is better than a lock. If they can't get in, they can't get anything out. Investing in good locks, and alarm systems should be the norm, especially if you need those props or items to sustain an income. I would never let my vehicle out of my sight that could be a "smash and grab" victim. I've slept in vehicles vs the comfort of my bed.

Personally, I would paint my logo on my trailer or vehicle and just rely on alarm systems and locks. I would never leave it unlocked and I would never buy or use a trailer that could be opened with a 5 dollar crowbar or screwdriver. Spend the extra money for a quality trailer, and an alarm system, and make sure your insurance covers any and all losses.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
RJE:

Submitted for whatever it's worth:

My last truck had a shell and was used for storage of tools overnight. They were never bothered until I put a sign on the back advertising my business. Within days of the sign's appearance some miscreant broke in and stole 19 years of hand tool acquisition.

Leland
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Yup, it seems the thing to do to keep the trailer as non-descript as possible. It is a good quality cargo trailer with good locks and I do have insurance so I guess I'll just have to hope that the thieves look for something more interesting.

Rob
jl17
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of jl17
I have a trailer for my motorcycles and quads that has been broken into a few times. Chances are if you put Magician or entertainer on the trailer most people will over look it. But, since mine had dirt bike racing decals that could not have helped. But, definatally get some insurence and keep your receipt for all the valuable stuff.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I have a friend that had his apartment broken into. When he got home and found the mess, the first thing he looked for was his juggling bag, it was gone and he was heart broken until he looked behind the couch, and found all of his valuable juggling equipment on the floor. The thieves dumped the juggling bag to fill it up with his camera equipment, CD player, and his CD collection. His valuable juggling equipment was worthless junk to any selfe respecting burglar.
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Neale - Bacon
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Neale - Bacon
Maher Studios used to produce a line of bumper stickers for ventriloquists to put on their dummy cases but stopped because a few people started getting ripped off when their trunks were labelled.

A good vent figure can be worth thousands.
Neale Bacon

Ventriloquist and Magician

Burnaby BC
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Exactly why I don't put a Harley-Davidsion decal on my trailer. It's like an invitation to say "Steal my bike!"
wayno
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of wayno
There are two ways you can go about it that I see.

Avoid the risks and not advertise.

Invest $1000 or so extra on your trailer to keep it secure, and advertise. Advertising goes two ways by the way. Advertise your services. And advertise the fact that you are secure.

Put a steel bar with hinges across any doors on your trailer, and lock them with a hefty lock when you are not in it. If there are windows on the trailer, or your vehicle, get a security laminate put on them so a thief cannot smash through the windows. AND advertise with stickers on the windows that they have a security laminate.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
http://www.spookclub.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Ever been the target of real thieves? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL