The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Making my own wand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hammiesink
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hammiesink
Are there some kind of brass or metal piece that can be bought at Home Depot that looks like the end of a wand? I was thinking of making my own...
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
While simple paint does a good job, you could use some of the brass plated curtain rods cut and placed over a dowel rod. My son makes wizard type wands like Harry potter and those used in Magick (Bizarre magic) and he uses a lot of parts and fittings from plumbing and curtain hardware to make some very interesting things. He also made me a very elegant wooden wand painted in flat black and white which I treasure.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
One idea I have used in the past is to buy a couple of cheap tubes of lipstick and use the metal caps that they come with. If you look around, you can find a variety of styles that should fit the look you're going for. Once you bought those, taken off the caps then thrown away the lipstick you can take the caps to a local hobby & craft store to find the right wooden dowel rod to fit it.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
In the Home Depot where I go I've looked for metal and brass and found nothing that would be used for wand tips without some additional machining.
Their wood dowels are a good start though.

One idea I had is to go to the electrical department and buy some shrink tubing. The stuff is black and when heated shrinks. You could use this on a dowel or metal rod and after shrinking, paint the very ends of the wand enamel black.

For myself, I'm considering a plain, oak dowel and using a Dremel and/or wood burner to add some designs on the tips.

I looked into what Frank suggested and found only split curtain rods.
Copper pipe in the plumbing section is an alternative depending desired on wand thickness of course.

I wonder if brass bullet casings could work?
How about ferrules use for fishing rod construction.
Hammiesink
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hammiesink
Ug. I thought it would be easier than this. The lipstick thing may work. Perhaps I'll just break down and buy one at a shop for $20 or so...
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2005-11-30 13:24, Hammiesink wrote:
Ug. I thought it would be easier than this. The lipstick thing may work. Perhaps I'll just break down and buy one at a shop for $20 or so...
Hey, now that's a thought...why didn't you think of that in the first place?
Any hoo, the satisfaction of making you own can be exhilarating...don't give up so easily. Do a search on this forum, the Café Quicksearch can be very informative. Here's some advice, don't copy what is out there, use your imagination and create you own unique wand! Anyway, good luck! Smile Smile Smile

<<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1947 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I use a solid stainless steel rod 1/4" or 3/8" X 10"or so. You can even get 'em in brass.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Hammiesink
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Hammiesink
Yeah. You're right. I'll just buy one. Supposedly the weight helps with the wand-spin sleight anyway. I've been practicing that for the last week with a plastic black-n-white toy wand. Ug.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Making my own wand (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL