The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Gilbreath Principle (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Kephri
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm Sweden
195 Posts

Profile of Kephri
Apart from the sources already mentioned
re. Duffie you can also find several routines
in his e-books making use of the principle.
Joel Givens
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Joel Givens
Take a look at the Semi-Automatic books by Steve Beam, he has some great, comical uses for the Principle I think you would enjoy.
chiz
View Profile
New user
Liverpool, England
94 Posts

Profile of chiz
This principle is actually pretty straightforward if you think about it. If you have a packet of 10 cards in some order, all of different value, and another packet, in the reverse order. If you shuffle them together in any order, you will still have 10 cards of different value on the top half, and the same on the bottom. Just think about the top card of the reverse pile: If you shuffle the deck, and the only card from the reverse half enters the top half, then that will mean that the bottom card from the top half will now be in 11th place (and not in the top half), that card will be of the same value as the new card in the top half.
The same argument can be used for all the cards....
I hope someone understood that.

Ben

ps. Try understanding the mechanics and stability behind throwing a spinning playing card- that's much more difficult!
Gary D
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
234 Posts

Profile of Gary D
A bit confusing! Smile
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Chiz's explanation is about one case of the stack. His stack is [abcd] and [dcba] type which is a particular one called Reverse Stack.

If you learn the principle more preciously, you will find more possibility in using the principle.

Hideo Kato
Samuel
View Profile
Special user
Norway
831 Posts

Profile of Samuel
Which sources are there on the Gilbreath Principle?
Samuel

Magic is everywhere
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
You can find good explanations on the principle in Magic Café.

Hideo Kato
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
I have received dozens of requests lately for my monograph on the Gilbreath Principle. Unfortunately, too many of these have not included an email address where I can send the file (it's in PDF form). I still have it, and I will be happy to send it to anyone who wants it, but must include your email address. Any further requests that do not include an email address will be trashed without a response. Sorry if I sound testy, but I'm getting tired of typing the same thing over and over.

Jim
NabsS
View Profile
New user
Geneva (Switzerland)
97 Posts

Profile of NabsS
Is this principle a theorem or an axiom, i.e. can it be mathematically prooved based on other priciples, or do we just "accept it" like 1+1=2? If it is proovable, can somebody post a proof?

Nabil
PS: chiz, you put "shuffle" in your post. I don't think it's exact. With an overhand or hindu shuffle, as opposed to a riffle or faro shuffle, I am not sure the principle works.
MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
272 Posts

Profile of MerlH
The Gilbreath principle was first published in the 1959 Linking Ring, not sure of the month. It won trick of the year.
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Proof of Gilbreath Principle is very easy. My method of proof is as below.

First of all, you must know Riffle Shuffle is same as taking cards from two packets in random order and pile the cards in one packet face up.

You have Stack-1 with repeating of 1$B!D(Bn. For example, c,h,s,d,c,h,s,d,c,h,s,d,,,,,,.
You have Stack-2 with repeating of n$B!D(B1. For example d,s,h,c, d,s,h,c, d,s,h,c,,,,,,.

If you take n cards from two packets, you can$B!G(Bt take any duplicates, so you will have each of 1$B!D(Bn cards.

After taking n cards, two remaining packets becomes a reverse stack each other again, so you always take each of 1$B!D(Bn cards if you take next n cards.

That$B!G(Bs it.

Hideo Kato
Jaybs
View Profile
Special user
557 Posts

Profile of Jaybs
As trickster already mentioned, there are two great effects that use the Gilbreath Principle in Sal Piacente's Expert Card Magic DVDs. I beleive it is used in his Memory Opener and Paint Poker routine. It is something worth looking at if you are looking for an effect that utilizes this principle.
Magiman
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Magiman
Please also note that there are a few wonderful applications that can be found in The Complete Walton volume 1 and 2. If you don't own these, shame on you.
-Magiman
Eric Falconer
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston
376 Posts

Profile of Eric Falconer
Phil Goldstein, in his book 'Redivider', briefly talks about the Gilbreath principle. It is a very powerful principle. In that book he states that he is compiling and writing a comprehensive book based on the principle. Can't wait for that book to come out.

BTW: Redivider is about another interesting card principle called the Stay-Stack prinicple... another amazing principle in card magic. Mnemonica stack has a few tricks based on the SS principle as well.

Eric Falconer
Houston TX
Eric Falconer

Houston TX
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Quote:
On 2004-11-05 21:13, Hideo Kato wrote:
Proof of Gilbreath Principle is very easy. My method of proof is as below.

First of all, you must know Riffle Shuffle is same as taking cards from two packets in random order and pile the cards in one packet face up.

You have Stack-1 with repeating of 1$B!D(Bn. For example, c,h,s,d,c,h,s,d,c,h,s,d,,,,,,.
You have Stack-2 with repeating of n$B!D(B1. For example d,s,h,c, d,s,h,c, d,s,h,c,,,,,,.

If you take n cards from two packets, you can$B!G(Bt take any duplicates, so you will have each of 1$B!D(Bn cards.

After taking n cards, two remaining packets becomes a reverse stack each other again, so you always take each of 1$B!D(Bn cards if you take next n cards.

That$B!G(Bs it.

Hideo Kato

Excellent description. I'm not sure what $B!G means though. Thanks Hideo, Ed, (Eddini).
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
433 Posts

Profile of Hushai
Quote:
On 2004-11-06 13:45, Eric Falconer wrote:
Phil Goldstein, in his book 'Redivider', briefly talks about the Gilbreath principle. It is a very powerful principle. In that book he states that he is compiling and writing a comprehensive book based on the principle. Can't wait for that book to come out.

Eric Falconer
Houston TX

Yes, I have often heard about that forthcoming book, too. Does anyone have any information on when it will be appearing? I, too, am eagerly awaiting it.
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
The principal is really useful, I havent found a book about it however max maven and lennart green have some tricks the utilize it, "suffice to say that it is a thing of terrifying beauty".
LordPH
View Profile
Regular user
Suomi
189 Posts

Profile of LordPH
Yea, I Have seen many magicans use this principle. First time I saw Max Maven using this and I was totally confused Smile Now I sometime use this principle too. I do similar trick like mockingbird, but there is just added bonus effect Smile
Lucas Ace

Ultimatemagic.Net
Helsinki Street Team
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
Check out Peter Duffie's Principle & Deceptions! I highly recommended!

Andrew

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
http://pasteboards.blogspot.com/
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
I second Arthur McTier's "Card Concepts"
Big hardcover book with quite a few effects using the Gilbreath Principle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Gilbreath Principle (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL