The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Gilbreath Principle (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4844 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Check out the Feb. 2009 issue of MAGIC Magazine for my original card effect "Chance or Choice". It uses the Gilbreath Principle. It's in Joshua Jay's Talk About Tricks column.

Larry
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2009-02-08 20:42, Larry Barnowsky wrote:
Check out the Feb. 2009 issue of MAGIC Magazine for my original card effect "Chance or Choice". It uses the Gilbreath Principle. It's in Joshua Jay's Talk About Tricks column.

Larry

And a nice trick it is. Thanks for contributing it.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Antony Gerard
View Profile
Veteran user
Kalamazoo, Michigan
363 Posts

Profile of Antony Gerard
There is also a brief explanation in T.A. Waters book The Encyclopedia of Magic and Magicians.

Take care and take cards
Antony Gerard
Michigan Magic Day 2009
http://www.MichiganMagicDay2009.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Juan Tamariz has an effect with the Gilbreath principle in his Joe Stevens Magic Emporium's Greater Magic Video Library. It involves packets of cards and looks very different from the usual shuffling and dealing in two piles.

Richard Vollmer published a book in French only dedicated to the Gilbreath principle and called "Le principe de Gilbreath" (1991)

I also posted a solution for performing a version of Out of This World using the Gilbreath principle in http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=5880816
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
The two Gilbreath principles often referred to (including by Norman Gilbreath) are actually two ways of looking at only one principle. The initial principle is just a less sophisticated use of the “second” which encompasses the principle more thoroughly. The magnetic colors principle was based on the fact that we have 26 red cards, and 26 blacks, therefore, if we have cards of opposite colors, we have both piles in reverse order in terms of color. Gilbreath later realized this but, by then, the concept of two principles had travelled around the world. Max Maven has done a lot to try and set things straight, but people still talk about a "second" principle. Gilbreath's so-called second principle is not, as sometimes claimed, an expansion from a few cards to sets of any size: a set with two colors is the same as a set with two or more numbers. The “second principle” is a specific instance where the set is the full size of each of the packets shuffled into each other. Thus, since the size of the set doesn’t constitutes a change, there is actually no second principle. The principle, as Gilbreath himself later realized, applies to sets of any size. If we are using a set of two, we are using the Gilbreath Principle; if we are using a set of five or a full deck, we are using the Gilbreath Principle. The only technical extension to the Gilbreath Principle was made by the French mathemagician Daniel Péris. However any talk about a first and a second principles could only create confusion.

Aaronson, Simon: Simply Simon Chicago 1995 p 3: Point Spread uses “half the excess” principle
Abello, James & Pardalos, Panos M. & Resende, Mauricio G. C. Handbook of Massive Data Sets (Massive Computing) p 379

Alvarez, Venancio & Fernandez, Pablo & Marquez, Auxiliadora. La Gaceta : El Diablo De Los Numeros by Javier Cilleruelo Mateo ; p 12 Truco 6 : El Principio de Gilbreath

Aragón, Woody: Cosas Mias La Magia Siamesa de Woody Aragón 2008. An in depth study of a new application of the Gilbreath principle with a technical appendix to complete the original work

Barnowsky, Larry: MAGIC Magazine Feb. 2009 Joshua Jay's Talk About Tricks column "Chance or Choice" & Kingdom of the Red Alignment of Colors at Montauk Point.

Bean, Gordon & Goodwin, William: Penumbra #8

Beam, Steve: Semi Automatic Card Tricks Vol 3. Includes tricks using the Gilbreath principle

Boddison, Adam: The Maths Behind The Magic 2008 p 19

Canning, Doug & Craven, Tom: Apocalypse Vol 7 No 4 April 1984 p 908 Straight Slam Straight Prediction: another version of Grand Slam card routine based on Gilbreath's 2nd principle Straight Slam spectator shuffles, yet top 13 cards are straight from ace to king

Duffie, Peter: Card Conspiracy Vol 1 p 10: explanation of the Gilbreath Principle followed by The Hustler, Dire Straights, Paranormalist, Power of Love and Hours of Magic & Card Conspiracy Vol 2: Gilbreath Plays Dominoes & Ulterior Motifs 1992: Gilbreath Reset: The following system can be used in any trick where the Gilbreath principle is used for alternated pairs, e.g., reds and blacks, odds and evens, etc.; Play: Mind reading effect. Again a lot of apparent freedom is gifted upon the spectators. Four helpers are required though it can be performed with only one. & Effortless Card Magic. & Principles and Deceptions – An easy Trip Through The Arithmetical Principles of Card Magic 1994: The book covers two Rusduck principles first published in The Cardiste plus other principles including Gilbreath, Hummer & Gene Finnell. The principles are explained in easy-to-understand language, along with problems for the reader to solve with the solutions given and tricks to do. Additional notes from Roy Walton and others. & Card School 1995: Threesight. A simple, but effective, prediction using the Gilbreath Principle & New Inspiration 2000: Matching Gilbreath. A spectator gives the deck a shuffle. You now turn over pairs of cards - every pair consists of a red card and black card. You deposit each pair at a separate place on the table. Magicians yawn as they recognize the Gilbreath Principle. But now you invite them to turn over the pairs and now every pair matches - red-red, black-black and so on. & Card Flair 2000: The Paranorman. A chosen card is found using three unknown numbers. This uses the Norman Gilbreath Principle. Before commencing set your pack with the colors alternating. & Method In Effect 2000: & Untold 2002: Lucky For Sum. Most of us will pass this one by because of the set-up however the effect on an audience is that of the impossible thanks to the Gilbreath Principle. & Miraculous Minds George McBride Mirakill: Predict the colors of cards that have been freely mixed by a spectator.

Florensa, Alfredo. Cartomagia Fácil vólumen II. In the annex 2 A El principio de Gilbreath

Fulves, Karl: Epilogue magazine (issues 4, 5)

Garcia, Frank: Apocalypse Vol. 1-5 Page 29 Grand Slam Gilbreath, duplicate spade cards

Gardner, Martin: New Mathematical Diversions: More Puzzles, Problems, Games, and Other Mathematical Diversions 1995 p 103 and p 111 & Penrose Tiles to Trapdoor Ciphers: And the Return of Dr Matrix The Mathematical Association of America; Revised edition (1997) p 26 & A Gardner's Workout: Training the Mind and Entertaining the Spirit 2001 p 193 & Aha!: Aha! Insight and Aha! Gotcha The Mathematical Association of America (2006) p 126 & A Lifetime of Puzzles: A Collection of Puzzles in Honor of Martin Gardner's 90th Birthday AK Peters (2008) by Erik D. Demaine, Martin L. Demaine, and Tom Rodgers (editors) p 10 & College Math Journal: Volume 31, Number 3, 2000 Pages: 173-177 Modeling Mathematics With Playing Cards

Gilbreath, Norman: Linking Ring Vol 38 N°5 July 1958 p 60: Magnetic Collectors: first apparition in print of the Gilbreath Principle & Linking Ring June 1966 "Gilbreath's Second Principle" & Subtle Card Creations - Volume 1 Page 272 Gilbreath Principle.

Green, Lennart: Green Lite DVD A-1 Magicalmedia. The Dragon's Pearl use Gilbreath in a unique way ; 26 000 $ bet

Harris, Ben: Off The Wall Invertz. Along with the color separation we locate the cards of two spectators in a novel way

Havil Julian: Impossible?: Surprising Solutions to Counterintuitive Conundrums Princeton University Press; illustrated edition 2008 p 140

Hey, Wilf: Garden of Gilbreath Monday 5 June 2006. http://www.bitwisemag.com/2/Garden-of-Gilbreath demonstrates the Gilbreath principles and mentions alternative implications

Hudson, Charles: Linking Ring August 1966 George Lord's Repeating Series or RS Principle. This is basically a combination and generalization of Gilbreath's two first principles.

James, Wesley: The Magical Record and Thoughts of Wesley James.

King, Bob: Apocalypse Vol. 16-20 Page 2629 Perfect Match

Kaufman, Richard Genii Magazine March 2009 (Geller)

LaGerould Terry: A Magical Baker's Dozen . Best Bet Yet & Magic Café http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=99 Jul 31, 2004 10:43am by Scott Cram. "Please Don't Match" by Terry LaGerould (unpublished) - In this effect, the spectator shuffles the deck, takes out 7 cards, and shuffles them. These cards are torn in half, and then these 14 halves are shuffled together. This half-card stack is placed into the performer's pocket (examined previously), and he pulls cards from the pocket one by one, betting that he'll never pull out the remaining half of any card that was previously pulled. The performer always wins the bet.

Lawrence O’, A.T.N. Magic Café http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=288933&forum=37&post=5880816. Out Of This World shuffled and handled by the spectators’ hands.

MacTier, Arthur: Card Concepts, and Anthology of Numerical and Sequential Principles within Card Magic: Lewis Davenport, Ltd: London. 35 of the 70 routines in the book refer to Norman Gilbreath's First and Second Principles. The book explains the mathematical concepts behind card magic, and has a long chapter on the Gilbreath Principle.

Goldstein, Phil Aka Maven, Max: Focus by Phil Goldstein & Redivider by Phil Goldstein & Prism: The Color Series of Mentalis Hermetic Press 2005 most of the routines were published in the late 70s or early 80s & Videomind DVD Mocking Bird: A sampling from the fabled "Birds of Prey" series. At its core, an inexplicable demonstration of playing card telepathy allows us to discover how audience participation and an unfolding plot structure can transform an already strong effect into a full - fledged routine.

Mayhew, Steve &,: Angels May Shuffle But The Devil Still Deals – The card Hustler’s Secret Weapon by Jack Carpenter The book is entirely dedicated to the Gilbreath principle Steve Mayhew has come up, with what must be one of the most clever application of the Gilbreath principle, or strictly speaking a principle closely related to Gilbreath's. He achieves with this idea extremely strong poker deal effects. If you are only remotely interested in poker deals, mathematical principles, or in particular the Gilbreath principle, you must read this book. The book is a reprint of his notes with the same title including the four routines The Ultimate Double Duke, Ultimate Gardner-Marlo, Ten-Card Finale, Blackjack plus the effect "Freedom" The Mayhew Poker Deal from his lecture notes.

Mentzer, Jerry: Cunning Card Miracles page 72: Deck Memorization by Mike Boden. The effect involves a stack and the Gilbreath Principle. Half the deck is dealt out, and the performer correctly "reads" reds & blacks.

Müller, Reinhard: Gilbreath's Principles

Péris, Daniel: The Peristance – A Generalization of the second Gilbreath Principle. Initially published in French and translated in English.

Piacente, Salverio: Hitman of Magic DVDs Will The Cards Match & Expert card magic lecture notes Memory Opener routine created by Steve Forte and adapted by Sal Piacente

Riobóo, Ramon: La Magia Pensada. First book of the New Collection By Spanish Magicians

Sanvert, Jean Jacques: Best of JJ Sanvert DVD Vol. 4 by LL Publishing: "Psychic Poker"

Shepherd, Matthew: Mentally Unstable 2009 Imentalism e-book. Working Nine To Five For Gilbreath is a clever, clinical conditions "card calling" sequence. It is a great way to "insure complete fairness" before card calling.

Slaight, Allan: Spins & Needles. Magnetic Miraskill.

Tamariz, Juan: Joe Stevens Greater Magic Video Series

Trost, Nick: Subtle Card Creations - Volume 1 p 18 Two Compatibility Tests (the first part is Karl Fulves’ Profiling); page 131 Color Prediction with Three Spectators and Reverse Gilbreath Principle Page 25 with Reinhard Müller: Do As I Do Suit Separation; page 92 Gilbreath Plays Euchre (using a 24-card Euchre deck); page 114 The Spectator's Straight Flush I (Gilbreath, spectator locates straight flush); page 131 Color Prediction with Three Spectators (Gilbreath based, Miraskill); p 131 Reverse Gibreath Principle; Page 133 Three-Way Miracle Prediction (based on the Reverse Gilbreath Principle, the number of red and black cards is predicted); page 134 with Phil Goldstein Predicting Red, Black and Court; p 272 with Norman Gilbreath, Gilbreath Principle.

Tucker, Stephen: Apocalypse Vol 15 No 8 Aug 1992 by Harry Lorayne: Stephen Tucker One Man Issue No 2 p 2103 The Return: card effect based on Gilbreath.

Vernon, Dai: The Vernon Chronicles by Stephen Minch Vol.2 page 212: More Lost Inner Secrets: Vernon On Gilbreath

Vollmer, Richard: Apocalypse Vol. 16-20 Page 2869 (Gil)Breath Gilbreath, face up face down mess & Le principe de Gilbreath (1991) Historique, Exposé des principes, Le premier principe de Gilbreath, Le deuxième principe de Gilbreath,
*Tours fondés sur le premier principe de Gilbreath [tricks based on the first Gilbreath principle]
- Magnetic Colors (Norman Gilbreath)
- Le premier effet de Charles Hudson [Charles Hudson’s first effect]
- Le deuxième effet de Charles Hudson [Charles Hudson’s second effect]
- La présentation de Marlo [Marlo’s presentation]
- Further Thoughts on 'Magnetic Colors' (Ron Edwards)
- Do as I don't (Ron Edwards)
- Anti-Magnetic Colors (Norman Gilbreath)
- Color Prophecy (Gene Finnel)
- Strictly to enhance your imagination (Gene Finnel)
- Gil's Game (Peter Kane)
- Predicted Gilbreath (Roy Walton)
- Another Prediction Trick (Roy Walton)
- It's a Set-up ! (Roy Walton)
- The Red and the Black (Paul Curry)
- Subtle location with the Gilbreath principle (Nick Trost)
- Deck Memorization (Mike Boden)
*Tours fondés sur le deuxième principe de Gilbreath [tricks based on the second Gilbreath principle]
- Separating two decks with one shuffle (Norman Gilbreath)
- Two for the show (Norman Gilbreath)
- The touch of the master (Charles Hudson)
- Determined Future (Charles Hudson)
- Gilbreath rides again (Charles Hudson)
- Mish Mosh (Reinhard Müller)
- Opus Thirteen (Paul Swinford)
- Fantasia (Paul Swinford)
- Magnetic Miraskill (Allan Slaight)
- The Schizoid Rosary (Phil Goldstein)
- Zen-velopes (Phil Goldstein)
- Mix and Match (Simon Aaronson)
- Les jeux sympathiques (Norman Gilbreath)

Waters, T.A. The Encyclopedia of Magic and Magicians.

Wagner, Bob: Bob Wagner's Master Notebook of Magic: Notes on 'The Omega Bet

Walton, Roy: Ibidem N° 34 and 35, page 815 Predicted Gilbreath - page 816: Cheaters' Gilbreath - page 818: Second Thoughts On Gilbreath - page 820: Second Thoughts On Gilbreath "Again" & The Looking Glass Page 147 Company of Four & The Complete Walton Vol 1 and Vol 2: In ‘Game Law’ from Volume 2, the spectator can riffle shuffle the deck TWICE.

Williams, Geoff: Miracles for mortals DVD 1 "The omega Bet".

Williamson, David: Aunt Mary's Terrible Secret (marketed effect)
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5373 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Great post(s) Lawrence. ...As usual.

I recently received a copy of Reinhard Müller's "Gilbreath's Principles" and would recommend it, without hesitation, to anyone with an interest in the principle(s). In addition to the history and material contained in the notes, the appendix boasts a valuable (and sizeable) bibliography listing tricks from a wide variety of contributors, and identifies the sources in which they were published. This will keep me busy for quite some time.
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
Any news on the release of Max Maven's book based on the Gilbreath Principle?
My English sucks, I know it. It's probably better than your French anyway...
chronica
View Profile
Loyal user
France 94 Vitry s/s
246 Posts

Profile of chronica
Every post of M Lawrence O is pure magic Smile
Unfortunatly I cannot have the access to the link explaining the version of OOTW using the Gilbreath principle...is there a way please Smile?
Your Thinking Cap
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of Your Thinking Cap
Quote:
On 2009-04-03 18:23, chronica wrote:
Every post of M Lawrence O is pure magic Smile
Unfortunatly I cannot have the access to the link explaining the version of OOTW using the Gilbreath principle...is there a way please Smile?

Its probably posted in the "secret sessions" area, which you need 50 posts to veiw.
chronica
View Profile
Loyal user
France 94 Vitry s/s
246 Posts

Profile of chronica
Ok thanks a lot 'Your Thinking Cap'
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2520 Posts

Profile of MueCard
Please can anyone tell me, where to get the book by Aragón, Woody: Cosas Mias La Magia Siamesa de Woody Aragón 2008?
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2520 Posts

Profile of MueCard
In meantime I found an address:

http://www.juantamariz.com/index.htm
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2009-03-20 13:29, Magiguy wrote:
Great post(s) Lawrence. ...As usual.

I recently received a copy of Reinhard Müller's "Gilbreath's Principles" and would recommend it, without hesitation, to anyone with an interest in the principle(s). In addition to the history and material contained in the notes, the appendix boasts a valuable (and sizeable) bibliography listing tricks from a wide variety of contributors, and identifies the sources in which they were published. This will keep me busy for quite some time.

Anyone know of a source for this book?
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
MueCard
View Profile
Inner circle
2520 Posts

Profile of MueCard
Yes, p.m. MueCard
redeagle
View Profile
Regular user
South Florida
141 Posts

Profile of redeagle
I am fascinated by this principle and its use in card magic. A lot of the tricks are "self-working" using the principle, but seem to involve shuffling or dealing the deck out into piles or packets.

What tricks use the principle but come across as the least mathematically-based or self working principle. I love shuffle bored for example, but I think a lot of people realize it is not based on sleight of hand but some sort of principle. Regardless, it is real entertaining and they love the effect.

What tricks best "disguise" that they are based on the Gilbreath principle?
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Hi Redeagle

Do you think that "mathematically-based or self working principle" should be "disguised" to appear as "based on sleight of hand" or wouldn't you like them to appear as achieved by magic?

If you want "mathematically-based or self working principle" to look magical, do the lay out during the presentation and simply give a magical cause at the magical moment like "casting a shadow" as you wave your hand over the cards or offering a magical phrase like "... and like a ghost gets through the walls of an ancient castle..." or both (giving, by the same token, a tribute to Michael Ammar Charlie Miller and Albert Goshman)
Retchin
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Retchin
I invented a shuffling to the aces effect which involves the Gilbreath principle, Sort of. Basically, the specator's shuffle to the aces.

In effect: the performer shuffles the cards and the top card is an ace. The spectator then shuffles the cards and the top card is an ace. This is repeated again. The last ace is chosen out of 49 and it turns out to be the ace. After this, I go into a four ace/gambling routine.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-04-15 11:46, MueCard wrote:
Yes, p.m. MueCard

I am not aware yet of the content of this Reinhard Müller's book, but being familiar with other things that he studied, I can highly recommend with my "eyes wide shut" to look with open mind at whatever he wrote on this subject as well. Reinhard is a very smart scholar (amongst other things).
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
744 Posts

Profile of TStone
Got to add Per Strandberg's "Matchmaker" to the list above. It's in the august issue of Genii magazine.
Retchin
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Retchin
How many other principles are in Card Concepts by Arthur McTier? Are they very useful? I know that the Gilbreath is.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Gilbreath Principle (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL