The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Review of "Strong Magic" by Darwin Ortiz (74 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1858 Posts

Profile of ASW
This Ortiz book is crammed full of practical advice that you can apply to your magical performance. Anyone who disputes that has failed to absorb the information in the book and perhaps needs something simpler.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1667 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2016, ASW wrote:
This Ortiz book is crammed full of practical advice that you can apply to your magical performance. Anyone who disputes that has failed to absorb the information in the book and perhaps needs something simpler.

I think Doug Peters is asking for something specific. It's a legitimate question.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1858 Posts

Profile of ASW
Plenty in there that is specifically applicable to improve your act.

Do people need it in rhyme? With pictures? WTF?
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

Hideo Kato
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1667 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2016, ASW wrote:
Plenty in there that is specifically applicable to improve your act.

Do people need it in rhyme? With pictures? WTF?

Name just one (or two, or twenty)--that's all he's asking for, I think. (No need to get so bent out of shape.)
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1858 Posts

Profile of ASW
You can't name one piece of practical advice in the entire book? Are you pulling my leg?

Hideo Kato
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1667 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2016, ASW wrote:
You can't name one piece of practical advice in the entire book? Are you pulling my leg?

I haven't read the book, although I plan to one day. You have, so it is up to you to "name one piece of practical advice."
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1858 Posts

Profile of ASW
You're in for a treat. Doug Peters can answer his own question by reading the book.

Hideo Kato
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1858 Posts

Profile of ASW

Hideo Kato
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
584 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Thanks, ASW, for (once again) helping make my point for me!
(Can someone -- anyone? -- actually answer the question?)
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1033 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
"Forget it, [Andrew]. This is [the Magic Café]."
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1667 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Since ASW has resorted to sarcasm, this is my take: either ASW hasn't read the book and is full of it, or ASW has read the book and is full of it.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1033 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2016, Ray Haining wrote:
Since ASW has resorted to sarcasm, this is my take: either ASW hasn't read the book and is full of it, or ASW has read the book and is full of it.

Let's everyone promise not to tell Ray who ASW is. This is too amusing.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5948 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2016, Ray Haining wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2016, ASW wrote:

I haven't read the book, although I plan to one day. You have, so it is up to you to "name one piece of practical advice."

Why is it up to him?
Why is it that if the poster doesn't get precisely what he demands then everyone is disgruntled? It is a disturbing trend here.
ASW gave excellent advice by suggesting he read the book himself.
Others shared what they had learned but it wasnt good enough. Wasnt specific enough.
Unbelievable.
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
584 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Excuse me?
I did read the book.
In fact, I said so in my first post on this thread!
And the only "disgruntled" one here is clearly Andrew!!
Let's catalog the things that people claim to have learned from Strong Magic since I asked the question, shall we?
"Artie": did not answer the question (no claims to have learned anything).
Andrew (Wimhurst): did not answer the question (no claims to have learned anything).
Andrew: pretends sarcasm can stand in for answering the question.
"Rupert": pretends reputation can stand in for answering the question.
"magicfish": pretends rewriting history can stand in for answering the question.

Nobody needs to answer the question, but please don't insult the intelligence of the readers here by pretending that the question has been answered when it clearly has not.

For those just joining the fun, the question is:
Can you tell us what you have learned from the book Strong Magic?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5948 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Strong Magic is one of the best books on magic I have ever read. I learned from it many things, including what makes for the strongest magic in the minds of the spectators.
It specifically helped me to strengthen effects I had been doing for years by reassessing and altering my handling, methods, patter etc, to increase audience conviction.
Ortiz writes that the more convinced the audience is of a certain condition, the more amazed they will be when the oppsite state of affairs is revealed. This is what makes magic Strong.
So I made changes and I got stronger reactions- but it wasn't a simple matter.
Why? Because as Ortiz also correctly states, you cannot change the handling without changing the effect.
So I had to look deeper. I had to discover, practice, and employ better methods. Methods that conveyed the same outer reality as their inferior counterparts. The result? The same effect, but with a much stronger resultant magical experience in the minds of the onlookers.
Strong Magic. There is so much to learn from this book and it can and should be read cover to cover more than just once.
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
584 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Thank you, magicfish, for answering the question!
If you are willing (no pressure) could you give us an example of a change you made to an effect you perform?
...and could you connect this to advice given in Strong Magic?
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1858 Posts

Profile of ASW
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2016, Ray Haining wrote:

LOL, fair enough.

Hideo Kato
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
Doug believes that until he receives an answer that meets his approval, Strong Magic simply can't be a worthwhile book. Doug believes that he's proving a point.

All of this despite numerous posts from readers who say the book is simply fantastic.

Closed minded is closed minded - time to move along.
necro555
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of necro555
Strong Magic is full of concrete and solid advice. The reason people are telling you to simply "read the book" is because the examples you are looking for are all in there. It's like reading the book called "101 Italian Recipes" and then asking people to give you concrete examples of what Italian recipes you learned from the book. IT'S ALL IN THE BOOK!
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
584 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Artie Fufkin: kindly take your amateur mind-reading elsewhere.
I was asking a question. I was hoping for answers rather than insults, thanks.
But please don't let me stop you from moving along?

necro: please tell me what you learned? (that, after all, was the original question)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Review of "Strong Magic" by Darwin Ortiz (74 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL