The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Turntable help needed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I recently aquired a small battery operated display turntable(5"D X 2 1/4"H).It makes one revolution every 30 seconds.What I would like to do is: Have a 5-10 second delay after flicking the switch,and then have it stop turning after about 1/4 revolution.Any ideas would be appreciated.Thanks.

Rich
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7346 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I would start looking at small jewerly or display turntables (check ebay). Then you will have to put timer on the power source.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
536 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
Sounds a bit like the basis for the bending wineglass trick?

Posted: Dec 1, 2005 9:13am
Velleman produce a "555 timer kit" which can be adapted to produce the start delay that you are looking for. Unfortunately, their kit as sold does the opposite to what you want - it switches on for a predetermined time, then switches off. It can quite easily be altered to do the opposite (which is what you want). If you know someone who dabbles in electronics then feel free to contact me and I'll give them the basic pointers. (Just a case of exchanging the NPN transistor supplied for a PNP and a few mods to the circuit board.) As I remember, the board is about 4" x 4" and powered by a 9v battery, which could probably be used as the power to your turntable also. With regard to switching off after a quarter turn, then probably a microswitch triggered by an arm on the turntable would be the most reliable, (or use an opto switch if you are feeling adventurous!) - Can't remember how much the timer circuit is - probably around $15. Searching the internet should find a supplier. I'm in the UK and I THINK the last ones that I bought were from Maplin.

...the kit referred to has been updated see..

http://www.maplin.co.uk/NextPrev.aspx?Mo......2No=8766
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
How about a small clutch and a "stop" pin. After the table rotates,its desired amount, it will be stopped by a pin and, although the motor can continue to move, it will be disengaged from the turntable.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
What about using recharable DEAD batteries? Cut on the battery charger and make it catch up.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Turntable help needed (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL