The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Fame & Fortune? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Well said, Todd.

Glenn
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Todd,

That's great! I am sure that you have set some people thinking, and we can hope that some have kept at it.

You have certainly kept me thinking here at the Café, and I haven't even seen you perform live.

Yours,

Paul
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Thanks for the nice comments. One of the challenges of that little speech is to not come off as some hack motivational speaker. The reason it seems to work is that it grew out of some personal history.

Though I learned a number of sideshow skills as a teenager, I didn't start performing them until years later. I had worked up sticking my hand into an animal trap for a TV show and then put it into my comedy magic act. I would perform a number of traditional tricks and then say,"those were tricks, but this isn't." I then did the trap and that was what everyone talked about.

People came up afterwards and wanted to know how it was possible to do it. This sense of wonder started me thinking and I started adding in more of the sideshow material. That little speech was inspired by the reaction I got from many people. It is delivered with all the humility that it deserves and it takes the stink off of the fact that people have just sat through an act consisting of eating glass, hammering a nail into my nose and other feats of intimate dare-devilry.

This approach doesn't suit everyone, but it fits me fairly well.

But now, it looks like I will spending some time raising the dead for fun and profit.

Click here to view attached image.
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
I have had the pleasure and priviledge to witness Todd doing some of his sideshow feats. Todd was in Illinois a few years ago and did a presentation for a bunch of cops from around the states. What I witnessed was remarkable, astounding and amazing. He put a nail up his nose, ate a lightbulb, walked barefoot on jagged and broken glass, blew up a hot water bottle until it burst and something that almost made me lose my lunch; he consumed a live roach. Todd showed me how to blow fire out of my mouth, but I burned my mustache doing so.

I have the utmost respect and admiration for what Todd does and would never consider trying it myself. The most I have ever done was attempting to make the "blue flame" without catching my pants on fire. Keep up the fantastic work you do, Todd. You are a true entertainer who does make people think. I would think twice or three times about doing what you do.

On another note, Todd was also a big help with a manuscript I wrote sometime ago. One chapter dealt with sideshows and his information was invaluable. that's why he is a SUPERSTAR!!!!

Glenn
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I think we are all driven by fame to some degree. The ability to have people truly amazed and look up to you in some way? Lets face it, what we do takes skill, education, and practise. Those all mean a man who is driven. This equates in womens heads to power and attraction. Perhaps evolutions nudge and urge to mate with the best? Anyways, I can see why people want to be on TV...

False illusions! Sounds like magic to me!
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Quote:
On 2005-12-07 05:20, Scott Xavier wrote:
This equates in womens heads to power and attraction.

Pounding nails into your head, eating glass, stapling things to your body--I'd be afraid of the women who found that "attractive". ;^)
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
The only problem I have with Todd's "REAL" answer is that he completely left himself out of the equation. I understand that the audience is there and will be enlightened and amazed, but what about "Todd"? Don't you feel a sense of self worth and completion by doing what you do? I mean, seriously even a pimply faced burger flipper must feel SOME sense of accompishment after a grimy day. And, to further the debate, what about those unresponsive folks who refuse to admit that they're "amazed". "Oh yeh, I know that (INSERT STUNT/ACT HERE) can be done. Seen it, been there, done that, ho-hum. Yawn". These insiduous people exist, we have ALL had experiences with this problem. This fact throws off your "REAL" answer. But it MUST be the "REAL" answer.... it was Todd's original question, which was "REAL"... hmmm. Reality confuses me.

Here's how Red Stuart deals with the unaffected:
"I don't know WHY you're laughing... I GOT your money, didn't I?.... Now we all know who the joke's on, don't we?"

In addition, the historical aspect of keeping this type of entertainment alive doesn't hold dear to these people, and they seem completely unaware of its importance. I myself am too well aware of my act and the history behind it. I cannot explain it while onstage, I WILL lose my audience attention (remember, 45 seconds and they're gone). I know this because I've tried.

So is this the "REAL" answer, or just Todd's answer? I believe everyone has the right answer for themselves. Is my answer the real answer for Stephon? Is his answer real for Steve V? Everyone must find out for themselves, and it will be true.

And, by the way, I don't want anyone to think I'm slamming Todd. I'm not. In addition, I have the utmost respect for Todd. I love him and IMO he is the best and most talented person I've ever seen on a stage. If it weren't for Todd I would not be half the performer I am today.

Yours,
TGN
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I'm glad you got that off your chest, Nip. Oh, it's just like comedy. You are right in that the REAL answer is complex and all the factors can not be expressed in a single bulletin board post.
Infamy_Infamy
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
30 Posts

Profile of Infamy_Infamy
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2005 9:24am, Todd Robbins wrote:

Since this came up elsewhere, I thought a new thread should be started. One simple question. Why do you do what you do? Joke answers are easy. I'm looking for the harder one...the REAL answer.

I'm fairly new on here, but I've trawled through many posts and indeed this topic has come up before, as have others.

For example, ChEeKy_MoNkEy posted a topic in May 2005, "who wants fame?".

I've noticed this seems to happen quite often, where almost the same topic is posted, albeit phrased differently and with long gaps inbetween.

Oh well, I guess it's a case of 'some' trawl previous posts and others don't Smile.

I don't mean any offense by this post, I'm just thinking it's not a bad thing for us all to put in a "little homework" before we post a topic which is very similar to others?
Imagination is the highest kite one can fly.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Why do we do what we do is a question that can be and should be asked repeatedly.
clowngrass
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of clowngrass
I think I do what I do (and I don't do all that much) because I am trying to recapture my past life (or lives) somehow. I know this sounds crazy but I am somewhat crazy. Smile I am not joking either. Ask Harley...

And in this life as a young boy I loved Houdini. (I also wanted to be a mad scientist and was always fascinated by death. I even freaked out a babysitter when I was 8 after having a conversation about The Big D) The Great Houdini was the first book I ever read. Then 15 years later while tripping I stood on my head and looked at my feet and I felt I had Houdini's feet; especially my right toes. It triggered some kind of memories of untieing rope with my toes.

Then I had incredible syncronicites about Houdini and I felt transported. I fell into the hypnosis business and it all "tied" together.

This is very non linear so I apologize. Death, Houdini, and attraction to weirdness. But one of my big problems was my introversion so I slipped in and out of the showbiz field...I couldn't even hypnotize myself out of it but have been chiseling away...so at least I will try not to be embarrassed when "I" die...
I Try
Infamy_Infamy
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
30 Posts

Profile of Infamy_Infamy
I agree Todd, but it's good to see completely 'original' topics also. It seems there are many 'repeat' topics merely phrased in a different way.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
There are a number of repeats in this area of the Café. And there are a number of repeats, too. It's easy for threads to get buried. It seems that someone is asking about fire eating or blockhead or other classic acts about every two or three months. Plus there are a number of repeats, too. It's just like comedy...
clowngrass
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of clowngrass
And it is important to remember there are a number of repeats, too. Vu Deja
I Try
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
It hasn't been mentioned yet but there are a number of repeats on the Café. Especially, there are a number of repeats in this area of the Café. And there are a number of repeats, too. It's easy for threads to get buried. It seems that someone is asking about fire eating or blockhead or other classic acts about every two or three months. Plus there are a number of repeats, too. It's just like comedy...there are repeats...
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Aaaagh! I read the last few posts a few times, and am getting verbal tunnel syndrome.

I'm gonna go do it again!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Now you may understand why I don`t post too often here.
Regarding the Fame & Fortune thread which was here once upon a time,,,I shall give you the classic showmans answer.

Mind your own B****Y Bussiness,,,,you could be from the Inland Reveue.

Ken.
Infamy_Infamy
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
30 Posts

Profile of Infamy_Infamy
I agree Todd, but it's good to see completely 'original' topics also. It seems there are many 'repeat' topics merely phrased in a different way.

Ah well, if you can't beat them...join them, Smile.

Infamy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Fame & Fortune? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL