The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Are church folk really this naive? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I had a performance scheduled at a local church. However, after passing up other offers to perform on that date, they cancel, citing the reference to "psychic demonstrations" on the main page of my site. Are people really so naive as to not know the difference between a theatrical performer and a "psychic"?

I don't understand why these people waste my time. I thought all of the "witchburning" was over!
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I wouldn't include all "church folk" in your broad brushstroke, but, yes, some religious people do not like magic, or psychic tricks, or whatever.

But let's not be too hard on them. Maybe they're right, and they'll be enjoying paradise while you're "wasting your time" spending all of eternity burning in the bowels of Hell.

One more reason to collect a down payment and use a contract with a cancellation clause.
johnnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of johnnymagic
I'm a magician and it still bothers me when I see the Psychic readers scamming people for money. I agree that what we do is a performance art and not witchcraft. We are not trying to take advantage of anyone by charging for quality entertainment. I would think that the Church that was going to hire you would have had the show untill someone complained so they cancelled. I agree with starr on the contract but you might have done that without mentioning it.
Out of all the magicians I know, you're one of 'em...

www.johnnymagicmemphis.com
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
A friend of mine writes a popular line of pre-school children's books. His entire series was outlawed by the state B*****t conference because ONE of the books dared to include pirates and "magic beans" in the story. I consider that an extreme reaction unworthy of rational thought...especially when the story of the Two Prince Charmings sharing their kingdoms and "Suzy Has Two Mommies" can be found in most children's libraries.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
I don't know if you can equate witch burning with a canceled church show, witch burnings usually have better food. My sister in law believes David Copperfield uses demons to do his magic. I did a party once, strolling magic (or what you young'uz call street magic but in a house w/out a camera crew) and after one basic effect the hostess asked how it was done. I did the "can't tell you, it's a secret" response and she said only Satan could do what I did and booted me, with full pay, out of the place.
Steve V
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Yes it is very sad that here at the dawn of the twenty-first century there are still people who believe in witches, demons and that magicians must be in league with satan.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
On 2005-12-01 13:28, Payne wrote:
Yes it is very sad that here at the dawn of the twenty-first century there are still people who believe in witches, demons and that magicians must be in league with satan.

What? You mean there's another way to do magic? I wonder if I can get my soul back if I get a good lawyer.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello Alan:

I've not been to your website to see, but perhaps you'll want to clarify what your "pyschic demonstrations" are all about. Maybe this groups is lumping you together with people like Miss Cleo and Uri Geller.

I think the lines between theatrical performance and reality have been blurred in recent years. Some people just don't want to have anything to do with that stuff.

Ron
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I love to watch the Sunday morning church services on TV especially the faith healer with the toupee who can cure cancer, but can't grow hair.
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Owen Anderson
View Profile
Loyal user
A sturdy fence needs at least
231 Posts

Profile of Owen Anderson
Regretable that you lost a gig.

What was their tone in conversation with you? Did it change between booking and bailing? A case of buyer's remorse? Or maybe somebody overstepped their authority or budget?

I've had a couple of religious groups request that no playing cards be used in the show. No other issues arose on those occasions.
Owen Anderson
LostSoul
View Profile
Regular user
Dave
148 Posts

Profile of LostSoul
Well, for those of you grouping witches, demons, psychics and the devil together, it's not correct, first off, witches don’t believe in the devil and most don’t go for the demons either.

Witches are actually increasing in number the Wiccan religion (we’re actually seeing a growth in “Pagan” religions in general) and as such it should be treated as any other belief system.

Now, if you really want to make a witch mad (especially a male witch) call them a warlock! The term that Bewitched used for all male witches is actually a derogatory term meaning “oath break” or someone not to be trusted (I guess some would say that about all men…)

Dave

PS: I do have some friends who pratice witchcraft and truly believe that it's real, what it is, I have no idea, but strong beliefs do make strange things happen.

Now, someone said that DC used demons in his show. Now, that's just wrong, I thought everyone knew he used Farie Folk to do most of his big illusions! Smile
threecardmonte
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of threecardmonte
Anybody who performs for religious groups should check out Cody Fisher's "School Show Opener". It easily explains to everybody that a magician is just somebody who knows how to do a few cool things, and not someone who is in league with the devil.
Tim
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
392 Posts

Profile of oagwood
Yes, they are that naive and believe that opening your mind in any fashion such as hypnosis or other psychic demonstrations, is a gateway for evil spirits to enter your mind.

These are not uneducated people either. I have met (and am friends with) professionals who think this way.

I have tried to tell them that they are wrong, but it went nowhere.

I would suggest in the future get a deposit for the time slot with wording which states that it is forefeitted if the show is canceled in less than 2 weeks prior to the show.

oliver
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
It's not just "church folk." Professional educators (or what some might call the Yellow-Bellied Liberal P.C. Crowd) are nearly as bad. I was scheduled to present a seminar titled "Conjuring in the Classroom" at a state teachers' convention. They later cancelled citing, "Some teachers were uncomfortable with the term 'conjuring'."
Wolfgang
View Profile
Loyal user
TEXAS
223 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang
I'm uncomfortable with the term "professional educator."
"Sure, I do Scotch and Soda in every show. What? You mean there's a trick by that name?"
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Well, they're paid to educate, thus my use of the term.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Interesting what definition comes up first for conjuring:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=conjuring

I'm not surprised at all they objected to the term "pyschic demonstrations" as you can see from the examples above folks have objected to a lot tamer references than that. I've had a call from a school who booked me saying that one of the board of directors objected to magic and could I do my show with no magic it in it.

Being magicians ourselves we often get blaise about our art and forget that folks not in the know, really know very little about our art. We get annoyed when after performing a trick some people claim it's just a trick or guess at how it was done, can we also be annoyed that we actually do fool some people and they think it's real?

We also kind of bring it on ourselves with many magi wearing black, waving fire around and acting other-wordly (and even calling mind-reading tricks psychic demonstarations) is it any wonder the uninformed get the wrong impression?

George
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I really don't see the point in rewording my website. How else would I word it? Are people really so ignorant that I have to state the obvious - it's not real, just a theatrical performance. Do these same people think that what occurs in a movie is real? I just hope if that's the case, they don't have the gall to breed.

I make no apology for saying that anyone who thinks like that should be committed to a mental institution.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I would say if your not a Christian then you should not perform for churches or for a church program. If you are a Christian and a true student of the Bible then you know how to represent yourself.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I was raised that way. Studied theology, too. But, some people just twist the Bible to support their own views. I find that some people who claim to be religious are just mentally lazy. They don't put any thought into what they believe. They trust too much in preachers and books, rather than making a real effort to find out what God wants.

I don't like to be told what I should believe. A healthy discussion is nice, but don't say my view is wrong when you're just parroting someone else.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Are church folk really this naive? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL