The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Magic of Jack Gwynne Book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Anyone know where I can get this book? I love books like this. Recently finished the David Bamberg book about his career as Fu Manchu.

Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I've read the Gwynne book, but I can't find a copy, either. I suspect it's out of print and unavailable. If anyone has a few spares copies, I'd like one, as well.
calimagician
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of calimagician
Hi there-

The book is "out of print". And if you can find it runs in the area of $300.00 or so.

As it happens, I own a copy that I was lucky enough to get from Stan Kramien, who wrote the forward for the book.

Half of the book is about the history of the Gwynne clan and the other Jack's effects.

David Charvet is the author and a regular here in the Magic Café. You might want to contact him and see if he is considering a second printing.

Cheers

Michael
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
$300 for a paperback book? Magicians are nuts.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Starrpower, It is an oversized hard cover book. Very well made and fairly complete in terms of history and effects Jack invented.

I agree that $300.00 seems like a lot! I have a copy that I'd let go for half that plus postage! LOL!

I guess that is what free market and supply and demand is all about. But as always, I could be wrong!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The original was published by David Carvett and it was hardcover. It was republished and perfect bound by Mike Caveney. I had a second copy that I sold for $200 about three years ago.

James, if you like these type of books, try to buy them as they come out. Mike Caveney has several out right now that are not out of print. Everything I have that is Mike's has went up in value. Some of them many, many times over.

You might also contact David Carvett and see if he still has any of the Virgil books left.

Books are a great investment and resource tool. Far better than one little effect. You can learn so much about routining and running a show from the old masters.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
calimagician
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of calimagician
Hi All--

The $300.00 price I spoke of was what I was told the book was worth by three different "magic book" dealers about six months ago when I was selling off books for a move out of the country. Actually, they quoted prices on the low end of $250.00 and the high end $350.00. It was at that point I decided to keep mine.

So--

I may be off on the current price.

No matter--

It is a great book and personally I have gotten a lot from it.

I believe--

"Success leaves clues."

So, to hear how successful men and women accomplished their goals always offers information to help other do as they did. And this book offers just that. Great information.

M.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I obviously read the second printing, because the book my friend has is the paperback (perfect bound) volume.

I'm not questioning that's what someone might pay. I just think it's nuts. If it goes for that much, that should indicate a demand, as Harry pointed out. So, why not a third printing?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I think keeping the printing to the original number is out of respect to the original purchasers. Most magic books never make any money for the writer. It is a labor of love. It was a commitment by the purchasers to support the work of the writer when no one else wanted to. He in turn only prints what is originally allotted.

For instance, I remember paying top dollar for a book by Larry Becker. It was a very good book but not particularly inexpensive but I bought it knowing it was a limited edition. How do you think I felt when I saw that Tannen's had purchased the rights and was republishing it verbatim at an even cheaper price? Sure made me think about buying those type of books again.

I know magic publishers who refuse to sell to wholesalers because they do not want their books discounted. This is a reasonsible way to protect the original purchasers.

This respect for the orginal agreement and purchasers is the very reason the Magic Circle will never republish the "Magic of Robert Harbin".

I agree that some prices have gone out of sight on books, as have posters, apparatus and such, but that's the law of economics, not magic.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
868 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
Yes, some of them are expensive such as this, but hey Christmas coming. Smile

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/used/Li......mp;Itm=7

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/used/Li......p;Itm=14

Best
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Gee, I just looked in my pile of books and found the Jack Gwynne perfect bound edition. It is in perfect condition. I let it go for $300!

It is interesting reading. I read it cover to cover. It is that well written and the story is very interesting. There is a lot of good knowledge for someone that wants to put together an illusion show and travel with it. It tells about his tricks and illusions he invented, along with hand drawings of them. Not detailed shop plans so the person should have some cabinetry knowledge to work out the details.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Richard, I believe that the Becker book you mentioned actually used the "Limited Edition" as a sales enticement. This would make sense as a reason not to republish. However, I am not aware of such a promise to buyers of this book, and my guess would be that is was NOT a limited edition since a second printing was, in fact, marketed.

So, again I ask, if the interest is there, why not a third printing?
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Jeff McBride talks about this book on one of his dvd's. That's where I became aware of it. Wish it would be reprinted so I could afford it.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
I have treasured and used my JG book (hardbound) and paid over $300 for it five years ago. One of the reasons for the price is that it is not for "all magicians" and does, beside the biography, contain methods used.

There seems to be a trait in many magicians to feel they should not pay a lot for learning their craft. I wonder if they prefer to use physicians who only have cheap equipment and paperback books for their studies?

A book's information is for sale....and the book, while some may use it for collecting.....is but a tool to increase our skill and knowledge. It's price needs be commensurate with the worth and rarity of the information.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I totally agree. $300 is not overpriced for the information that that book probably contains. I get that much for birthday shows sometimes. Unfortunately, it's not in my budget right now, and my main purpose was the biographical information it contains. I am very intereseted in that aspect of a magical life as well as the logistics of running a big show like that.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The book I was talking about was "World of Super Mentalism". It has been republished and several others and myself were none too happy after we paid top dollar for it.

James, you are right on with the information and trying to balance the budget. I struggle with that everytime this year. I make out my list and try to figure out which ones I need to buy before go out of print.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Chmara, I don't mind paying cover price (even though $300 was not the cover price.) I'm merely curious as to why publishers choose not to reprint when there is apparently a market. I don't see how it's in their interest not to.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Magic of Jack Gwynne Book (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL