The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Mercury by David Kong (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
bradchristian
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of bradchristian
Quote:
On 2006-05-16 15:23, funnymagicguy wrote:
Let me set everyone straight on the mercury dvd. This is definitely not an original effect with david kong. I was recently informed from a friend that it was on ellusionist. The effect was developed by myself almost twenty years ago and was originally described on one of the first magic websites called cardtrickcentral. It was published in 1990 in my first set of notes called "One Handed Pinky Break". Just upset about being ripped off, but who doesn't get ripped off these days??

Funnymagicguy,

I hope you don't seriously think you were 'ripped off'... that David Kong discovered your notes and ripped the effect from you. David is as honest as the day is long. He did come up with it himself, but since we added it to Ellusionist a few different people who created something similar have mentioned it to us - including Jay Sankey and Richard Sanders. We were quite happy to put a note on the page for Jay, directing people to the Sankey/Sanders Sessions as a further reference for the effect. If you would like a link on the Mercury page as well, just let me know. We'll just need to see the notes first - then no problem at all. The theme seems to be a popular one, no doubt.

Note that in order to avoid issues like this, Ellusionist has hired one of best historians on the subject. I'm not at liberty to discuss who it is, but they edit a very well respected magic magazine and if I said the name, many of you would recognize it. [Not Kaufman though]. I'm constantly amazed at how he can dig up an obscure reference in an old volume somewhere. It really makes me think that just about nothing is new.

Crediting is very important to Ellusionist and we have gone out of our way to fix things that were 'broken' in the past. (Namely, the video How To Do Street Magic... including re-editing and re-authoring the entire DVD with correct credits and names for every effect). Ellusionist is now working closely with many respected performers, and you can't do that if you are not going to play by the rules. Daniel Garica, Wayne Houchin, Justin Miller to name a few. Marc DeSouza has a DVD (Shapeshifter) with us, and Banachek is featured on on our hit DVD, Stigmata. A project or two with Michael Ammar should be in the pipeline very soon. Etc.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Quote:
On 2005-12-26 21:55, redstreak wrote:
I think you posted in the wrong thread, Lee.

Derek, has it been published?

- David.

Actually, Lee was posting to the video that was posted in the intitial post in this thread....the link was to the coin effect Infusion...
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
nbps05
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of nbps05
I have mercury and for some reason I don't like it so I don't do it lol I guess not my style
rallister
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of rallister
Well, as a beginner (about a year), I like Mercury. The spread was new to me and I found the download extremely helpful. I purchased this from The Ellusionist website and right now am a satisfied customer. With time, I may find something that works better for me. I do want to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions on this thread - very, very valuable.

Bob
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
I have Mercury and incorporated it into one my routines. I've seen variations
of it after I discovered this one. The video itself is not bad, the same professional Ellusionist quality. The teachings of the effect are broken down in
many aspects that can and will get you up and running. The power in the effect
as pointed out already is the Ascanio spread. But the DVD shows alternatives to
doing the effect without it. Though not as strong. Actually, I use the alternative to show the four cards at first prior to going into the routine.

From a beginner's perspective this is great DVD, but I believe the effect is not
a beginner level effect as it requires someone due dilegence in practice to get
that spread right.

There was some references to other great effects similiar to this, can someone post some links so I can check them out? (Yeah too lazy to google). I also
seen Asher's twist...what do you think in comparison to this effect?
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2005-12-02 11:05, JeremiahZuo wrote:
6 Ascanio Spreads and Two displacements..................I'll pass.

But the question is....why?
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
tian_ci
View Profile
Elite user
Knoxville, TN
477 Posts

Profile of tian_ci
John G. has tons effects involving the same theme that mercury presents on his brainstorm dvds. It's defintally worth picking up. Mercury is just to bleh for me. It's kind of like "well watch these cards turn over..." while john g. provides excellent endings that are fair and mostly clean.
Tiramisu
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Tiramisu
I have only been into magic for less then a month and I found Mercury to be very helpful for someone with my limited ability. The explanation of the Ascanio Spread was great and I learned it quickly. Just learning this technique was worth the $12 buck download. From learning Mercury I was able to move on to more complicated routines like the Invisible Palm which starts off with the Ascanio. I am sure most DVD's are boring to people who have been into magic for years but to entry level people like myself they are very helpful in getting up to speed quickly.

I know practically nothing and I have a hunger for as much magic knowledge as I can get my hands on. I am trying to weave my way thru this complicated trail of what way to go. I learn how to Jog Control a card, then I see a DVD on how to Pass a card. Which way should I learn? A Jog sure is easier then a Pass but everybody seems to use a Pass. Why? I don't know..but I will get to the bottom of it someday.

Endless learning in this hobby. A lifetime of stuff to learn.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2005-12-04 14:25, JeremiahZuo wrote:
Redstreak,

I really hate when someone makes a comment without actually thinking. I didn't review the product(the teaching video). I reviewed the EFFECT. Which I have seen.

I know I'm getting to this thread a year and a half late, but I thought the notion that:

"6 Ascanio Spreads and Two displacements..................I'll pass."

constituted a "review" was REALLY funny.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
It actually is more a disclosure thing . . .
Cards never lie
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Its a pretty good review I thinnk. iv seen the video and the method is awful. how much more suspecous can you get after 6 of the same moves in a row. the suggested ending is even worse
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
MagicJonny8Ball reviewed this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB8O2-GfgEs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Mercury by David Kong (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL