The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Nigerian Scam Targets Magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Diamond Jim
View Profile
V.I.P.
Diamond Jim Tyler
187 Posts

Profile of Diamond Jim
I received this email yesterday:

GREETING,
I'M LARRY; MY WEDDING WILL BE COMING UP NEXT YEAR ON THE .29TH OF JANUARY
2006 , AT THE ADDRESS BELOW. I WILL LIKE YOU TO BE THE MAGICIANS FOR MY
WEDDIING RECEPTIONS,I LOOK FORWARD TO A VERY BIG,SOCIAL AND COLOURFULL
WEDDING,SO I WANT THE BEST OF PROFESIONLA JOB. YOU WILL BE WORKING FOR 4 HRS
RECEPTIONS ONLY, LET ME KNOW IF YOU WILL BE AVAILABLE ON THE DAYS,ALSO I
WILL LIKE YOU TO SEND YOUR TOTAL COST PLUS YOUR AIR TICKET FEES,MY PLANNER
WILL BOOK THE HOTEL FOR YOUR COMING IF NEEDED. MY ASSOCIATE IN THE STATE
WILL TAKE CARE OF THE CHARGES MODE OF PAYMENT VIA MONEY ORDER OR CHECK. I
LOOK FORWARD IN HEARING FROM YOU SOONEST.

HERE IS THE RECEPTION ADDRESS SO AS TO CALCULATE THE TOTAL COSTING:-

Central Church of Christ
6755 San Joaquin Street,
Sacramento, CA 95820-2135

I LOOK FORWARD IN READ FROM YOU SOON.

BEST REGARDS

The first tip-off that it was a con was the obvious hotmail address it came from. I did a little detective work and called the church to see if a wedding was booked under that name on the given date. They said "No". The church also said that they had received calls from DJ's, photographers, etc. I wondered how they could scam me if they were sending me a deposit check. Well here's the rub:

Say I quoted them $1000. They would in turn send me a counterfeit cashier's check for $1500. My bank, as most, would deposit it into my account, and most checks clear in 5 days at the latest. I would then be contacted again by Larry Mith who says mistakenly I was sent someone else's check- so I should send him a refund for $500. I might even wait an extra week to make sure his check was good before sending him back $500. Here's the deviously ingenious part: THE COUNTERFEIT NIEGERIAN CASHIER'S CHECK ACTUALLY TAKES 4 TO 5 WEEKS TO DETERMINE THAT IT IS WORTHLESS. So the bad guys get your money and your a little bit wiser. I wonder just how many people have fallen for this scam??

I actually wrote this Mith character back to firm up some details and to ask more questions to see just how far he would push this ruse. He surprisingly wrote me back- this time from a yahoo email address. I guess hotmail has banned him. Apparently this con is happening with EBAY auctions as well. If someone overpays you on EBAY with a funny-looking cashier's check and then wants a refund back, then you are most likely their next target.

BE WARNED!

All good things,
Diamond Jim Tyler
JohnLamberti
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
420 Posts

Profile of JohnLamberti
http://www.419eater.com

Learn how to screw with these people.
mrmystic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
200 Posts

Profile of mrmystic
I recieve this email about every 6 months, always with a different name and address, but the same text about the party. I never respond, but at least I now know what they are up to.
Thanks
jfkkraemer
View Profile
Elite user
SoCal
481 Posts

Profile of jfkkraemer
Thank you Jim for that post, most interesting approach to a scam. Amazing what people do .

Jeff
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-12-02 22:02, JohnLamberti wrote:
http://www.419eater.com

Learn how to screw with these people.

John,

Just to show you how cynical I am, my immediate reaction was to wonder if this web site was, in fact, a scam. I would be hesitant to even enter onto the site for fear of having a cookie attach or have some nefarious code written onto my hard drive or to otherwise send me adware, spyware, worms, viruses or Trojan Horses. My warning bell really went off when I saw the "PayPal Donate-Please help to support this site" icon at the bottom of this web site page.

Is there any way to check out this site and the guy running it to make certain that this site is on the "up and up" and that a person won't be harm (in any way) merely by surfing onto this site or clicking onto any of its hot links?

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3972 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I went to the website and listened to some of the phone calls people made to the scammers - playing along with them. Absolutely hilarious.

Go to the Forum section, and you will find people who have posted conversations you can download.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Nigerian Scam Targets Magicians (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL