The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Punch Deal Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I was wondering how many magicians have read the original Phantom of the card table or Marlo in spades and know about the punch deal? Or USE the punch deal in shows?
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
I have - I do...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I tend to side with Darwin Ortiz when I believe it was he who recalled a story about a magician that went on a TV show and then proceeded to get trip cards but lost to the host who had a random straight or something.

He tried to explain "well yes the cheats only gain a small edge over time and they wont win every hand", but it was a failure.

lol as I was reading this I recall it was in the description of an effect that let everyone shuffle the deck yet still get the required 5 card hand due to some nifty spectator managment, so I guess I'm not against the punch deal in a magic routine at all as long as its used...

Lol sorry I cant be of more help
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
I have, and do also.

When it comes to a magic demonstration with the punch, you simply can't beat the routine concurrently developed by Wimhurst and Ortiz. The Wimhurst title is Rum Punch and the Ortiz title is Raw Deal.

$
Who is John Galt?
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1135 Posts

Profile of Paul H
Hi Glenn,

In my cheating demo routine I use Marlo's idea of dealing out jacks and queens for a full house from a shuffled deck using the punch. For an added convincer, I use a Line-lo home made stripper deck. The spectators shuffle the deck and I 'cut' and get the spectator or myself to riffle twice and throw in a hop. Then I deal a full house to myself from a round of six hands. Its very convincing. I use Gazzo's hand punch for the work although I know magis who simple use a large needle for good results as Marlo does himself.

Regards,

Paul H
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I wish I could do the Punch. I just can't get the hang of it. For me to feel it, I have to have the bump that big that it is so obvious that it defeats the object.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2005-12-02 21:17, Daegs wrote:
I tend to side with Darwin Ortiz when I believe it was he who recalled a story about a magician that went on a TV show and then proceeded to get trip cards but lost to the host who had a random straight or something.

He tried to explain "well yes the cheats only gain a small edge over time and they wont win every hand", but it was a failure.

This can be a problem if using the punch to demo the edge in poker. And this is why Jack Pyle favored the bridge deal. The punch should never be exposed in the routine and Jack used to say he dealt from memory.

There are other ways of using the punch for poker demonstrations that the magician would not have the same problem as this guy on a TV show. I saw a guy on a TV show do a blackjack demo with the peak and a second and ran into the same problem.

So he quickly went into a stacking routine. But this is why it is often hard to take real cheating methods and then use them for entertainment in a card shark expo. To a lay audience stacking a royal flush is a lot stronger finish than using the punch in a poker demo and only getting 2 of a kind.

The punch can be a strong tool if used the right way in card shark demonstrations.

Thank you all for posting.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
I have read and use the puch deal and I find it very useful and its one of the easier things that I do. of course it must be your deck.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Hey Paul H I hope you have a great Christmas.

Hi steve j

Most often I perform with my own deck but the punch can be used with a deck that someone just gives you. I have only done this a few times because I most often like to work with my own deck. The reason is that my deck is clean and broken in the way I like to use them. You just never know how good or clean the cards will be if it is a borrowed deck.

But if it is a new deck or a deck someone gives you I use Marlo's method of putting the work in that is covered in Marlo in Spades.

This works well with my 23/28 poker deal.

But because I do formal shows where there is a booking I almost never work with a new or a borrowed deck.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
For magicians that are interested in using the punch in card shark demonstrations I feel that you can do more with the punch than to just use it with the second deal.

I use it with the cull as a way of culling and stacking cards. And there is a lot more you can do with it when you use it with the cull. I just put a Video demonstration of this punch cull can be seen at my web site http://www.bishmagic.org

I find the punch a useful tool in card magic and card shark demonstrations.

Enjoy!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
That is a magnificent idea for the over hand shuffle Glen. I only have a vague idea of the concept from what you said, but if you did what I think you did, then, salute!

With the greatest of admiration and respect.

Yours sincerely

Tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Use the punch deal.......how about asking the remedial question of "do you know what a punch deal is?" that way I can participate with saying ......uhhhh no.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
How about doing a punch deal and if you get a full house ...great...but, if you only get 2 of a kind or a losing hand, which is also possible...you can prepare to switch in a royal flush as a kicker.

So now your sre doing some "real work" and magic Smile
Long Island,

New York
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2005-12-16 23:09, Dannydoyle wrote:
Use the punch deal.......how about asking the remedial question of "do you know what a punch deal is?" that way I can participate with saying ......uhhhh no.

This is just Glenn's way of eliminating superfluous postings!

Glenn, I have and dabbled a little...but nothing serious.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
MField2000
View Profile
Special user
Hastings, East Sussex, England
590 Posts

Profile of MField2000
The best Punch Deal I've seen in Steve Draun's (but I haven't seen Paul Chosse!).

Matt Field
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The Punch "Deal" - Forget Deal and think Punch Shuffle! If Glen is teaching a Punch Shuffle then that is something speacial.

Tommy
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2005-12-17 04:11, MField2000 wrote:
The best Punch Deal I've seen in Steve Draun's (but I haven't seen Paul Chosse!).

Matt Field

As much as I like Steve Draun's work and I have known him for about 10 or twelve years. I have found that using the punch and a second deal like most magicians use it when doing a poker deal. Because it IS a method of cheating at cards the magician doing the demo doesn't always get a good strong hand for a demonstration.

The better the hand the better the demonstration. That is why Marlo did the punch deal the way he did is that he placed the 8 cards on the top and had the spectator give the deck three or four shuffles.

When doing it that way the routine was put together - helped get the hand.

The great part about the punch was the fact that after the work was put in on the deck. The deck can be shuffled and cut by the spectator - then dealt - and then the dealer uses the punch to get a hand. But sometimes the cards do not go your way.

The cool thing about my Punch Shuffle is that if you do the shuffle the right way and if you put the work in the right way. I have no problem in running up the four kings for a demonstration. Even if I let the audience shuffle the deck before I do my punch shuffle.

That is what I consider the great part of this idea. Thanks Tommy for the kind words - I am very proud of this idea and have used it for about 7 years. For more info - check my web site and my blog.

Enjoy!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
I suspect that the punch shuffle is a "Roman" / in the hands type of shuffle vs. a table based riffle shuffle ? True ?
Long Island,

New York
Stilts
View Profile
New user
Salt Lake
91 Posts

Profile of Stilts
I agree with Matt, that the Steve Draun effect "Punchless" from Secrets Draun from Underground is a great effect. The nice part about the effect is the spectator selects any two four of kind, shuffles the deck, and the magician deals out a full house or four of a kind using the specators two four of a kind. This could even be done with a borrowed, sealed deck.

The other nice part about this effect, is that it does not require a punch...
Derrick
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
When I decided to do a DVD about the punch deal I did not want to do a DVD that would be just another format for the already published ideas on the punch deal in books like Marlo in spades. And Phantom of the card table. These books are very good and they teach and inspire the ideas with the punch using the second deal.

I used the second deal with the punch for a while and most often with the Bridge Deal that was shown to me by Jack Pyle. The punch deck pro of Chicago. Then later I met a real punch worker and he showed me how he used the nail instead of the punch and how he put the work in while the game was on. All this was useful information. But the problem I had with the punch in a card shark demonstrations was that when dealing out 6 or 7 hands of poker. There are times you only get 2 of a kind in your hand.

Sometimes the cards go against you. In a poker game you can just fold but at a show in a poker demonstration the better hand you get the better the crowd and audience reaction to the demonstration.

Then I had a breakthrough idea using the punch. Instead of using it with the second deal I used it with a cull. I used it with the Molinari cull that was invented by Jimmy “Cards” Molinari. And suddenly my card shark expo became so much better. And that is the breakthrough idea that I have on this DVD. I teach the cull with the punch and other routine ideas!

Enjoy!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Punch Deal Question (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL