The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » A $ change Routine Idea (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2002-11-16 14:37, Lance Pierce wrote:
I think it’s safe to say that most of our audiences do not believe in magic. As such, how are we to present it to them? I’ve always been of the hope that I could present magic in some way that, even though no one believes it’s really magic, there’s no other possible explanation. If we can do this, then what happens is that the spectator’s mind goes into a loop that says, “No, there’s no such thing as magic…but that’s the only way this could have happened…no, there’s no magic…but that’s the only way…” At some point, the spectator has to side step her way out of the loop and offer something like, “Well, it had to have been sleight of hand,” or “Okay, he’s good,” or simply (and sometimes more honestly), “I have no idea.” None of these satisfy the spectator, but they all provide a way out. If we can get them into this kind of loop, what we need to do then is provide them a step out of the loop that’s better than the mundane one they’ll obviously take when left to their own devices. Put another way, once they’re in this loop, our theater can extract from it a sense of wonder or astonishment or a lingering sense of…whatever. We have many options available to us.

Bumpity bump.

This sounds remarkably similar to Whit Haydn's definition of the dilemma, both the core idea, and the role of presentational bits of business in helping them absorb it pleasurably!
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
My favorite money-change ploy (which I hadn't heard yet at the time this topic started) is Fred Kap's rationale for his independently-developed version of Pat Page's Easy Money. Pete Biro has posted it here at the Café.

Why is the money turned back into paper? So the magician doesn't have to walk around with all that cash!

The solution is elegant: the most mythic form of the effect is allowed--money from nothing--and there is an entertaining reason for the reset. The most elegant solutions have a harmony of method, effect, and presentation working together with nothing added on like ketchup.
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
In my presentation, I "buy" a dollar from the spectator, in order to show them how magicians make money. He gives me a dollar, and I give him one of mine. "We're square, right? I just wanted you to see that I can do this with any dollar bill, and not just some trick bill. I can only do this once a day, the energy drain is so severe...but that sure helps my bottom line anyway...By folding it tight and imagining in my mind that I am actually unfolding a $100 bill like THIS one (handing the $100 out for examination, I can actually change the bill into a $100. It is exhausting, though." I say the last line as I take the 100 back and put it away. If someone says, "Why not a thousand dollar bill?" I say, that is a great idea! I'll give it a shot tomorrow. May take a lot more imagination, though..."
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
That post is worth a hundred right there, Pop. Great solution.
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » A $ change Routine Idea (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL