The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cardiographic and Kenton (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mackmania
View Profile
Regular user
Orange County
137 Posts

Profile of mackmania
I recently discovered this wonderful routine from Martin Lewis. I was wondering, as it's one of the best magic routines out there (IMO), if it could close a mental show? If I played it up as if it would be my last prediction for the night, then get it wrong, and the card begins rising from the drawing. I do understand it is not a mentalism routine, but in my magic shows, this routine gets the best praise out of all of them. Also, to completely change the subject, what do you think about Kenton Knepper? I have nothing created by him, but have heard mixed opinions about his work. I'm also interested in Jermay's material sold through Knepper. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Mackmania
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." ---Joseph "the Amazing" Dunninger
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Due to the way the routine is set up, I would say you are doing a disservice to a mentalistic routine by ending with this. There are much better closers that are more appropriate to a mental show. Now if you are doing a magic show that is something else entirely.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Andrew Richmond
View Profile
Loyal user
Birmingham - UK
252 Posts

Profile of Andrew Richmond
Agree with you Catoe, although it does soun like he is doing a magic / mentalism show..

Mack Mania:

I wouldn't recommend Jermay or Knepper to you, not because they are not good but it is heavy mentalism where as I feel with what I can gather from you post Larry Becker would be more suitable..

Look for a book called Stunners Plus..

A.R.
"Take a card any card!"
"Why?"
"So I can find it."
"Why?"
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1024 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Mack, here's my 2 cents: Give it a try and see. You'll find out soon enough whether it works for your act or not.

See ya!
JPL
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Andrew has a good idea. Larry's material would most likely be very good for you. It has that mental flair without being so heavy as to be out of place. You may also want to look into Martin Lewis's Technicolor Prediction since you appear to like his thinking.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Traveler
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Traveler
I don't think there's a problem. Try it, use it... And if your audience likes it, you shouldn't care about what other mentalists say. It's all about the bond between you and your audience anyway.
That having said, I understand your feelings. I doubted about whether or not to use this very same routine.
Still, what I 've decided doesn't matter because you have to find out for yourself if it works in your show or not.
Don't ask for advice on repertoire. Only experience counts !
mackmania
View Profile
Regular user
Orange County
137 Posts

Profile of mackmania
It's funny you'd mention Stunners Plus! I'm only 13, so it's at the top of my Christmas List. I tend to like the "light way" of performing mentalism. I think an audience would have a hard time connecting with a man with a thirteen inch long beard. I prefer Osterlind's and the guys at Mentalism Unlimited's style more. I have Lewis's DVDs and have seen Technicolor Prediction, it's just never appealed to me. I'll try Cardiographic at one of my mentalism shows. I also hope to get a gold mine of performing gems on Christmas. As I said, the top few things are Mind Mysteries Too, Stunners Plus, and (I know it's not mentalism) Dean's Box. Any further comments on what would be a nice item for this joyous occasion? My list is quite comprehensive. I have Video Mind, PSI Series, and the original Mind Mysteries. Any good tricks from Mentalism Unlimited?

Cheers,
mackmania

P.S. If anyone has any links to video demos for Mentalism Unlimited products (besides Double Vision) I'd be happy to see them? Thanks again.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." ---Joseph "the Amazing" Dunninger
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2005-12-04 19:03, mackmania wrote:
I recently discovered this wonderful routine from Martin Lewis. I was wondering, as it's one of the best magic routines out there (IMO), if it could close a mental show?

I'd suggest you do three things. First, determine what is your definition of "mentalism". Second, determine what someone doing your version of mentalism would do in his act. Third, determine what is the effect of Cardiographic, and see if that fits your definition of mentalism.

If it doesn't fit, find something that does.

Trying to jam a square peg in a round hole is rarely good for the peg or the hole.

John
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cardiographic and Kenton (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL