The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Pyramid Production/Vanishing Illusion. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Many people, including myself, complain about illusions that are all BOXES.

"For my next box,Er um I mean trick..."

I wanted a production illusion to use at the start of a show, not having an illusion base (yet) I settled on building Mark Wilson's famous piece. The problem was, I already had a tip over trunk and sub-trunk so I wanted desperately to avoid building another box.

I gave up on anything but a box but as I started building it I realized I could use the same concept but use a pyramid instead. One large enough to stand in would never fit in my shop but I quickly found I could build one I could kneel in.

So the frame got built, I attached the two sides and all was jolly in my shop as this beautiful pyramid started taking shape.

Today I went to attach the front and back doors and I quickly realized that I am retarded. Because of the way the illusion works I could not use hinged doors...

The angle of the pyramid means the doors won't open flush to the ground to allow
the illusion's to hide the magician.... ARGH... I decided I will just attach the front and back pieces to the pyramid with velcro or magnets and build two small stands to place on the sides of the illusion...

The assistant can move the pieces into the stands placed directly (up against) the pyramid on each side. I THINK the illusion should still work fine in this matter...

Before I do this I was wondering if anyone else had any workable solutions, or ideas?
I beleive this is the only solution possible short of rebuilding the whole thing, which I really do not want to do. It looks really great as a pyramid, and I want desperately to have this cool pyramid instead of a box.

As always, thanks for everyone's advice,thoughts,and suggestions, its helped me a lot on previous pieces.

Steven
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
If I understood you right this would work.
you could have the font and back slide "open" like a sliding window... that would make it seem practical as to why it is there, but still do the trick. I am thinking if you remove the door then set it down there it might look like you are hiding something. anyway if you have ?? feel fre to PM me
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Sounds like a good idea. The assistant will then just pull the piece off the pyramid, raise it a bit and slide it into the stand...

Should work.. I'll know very soon as I try and finish it up before painting...

Steven
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You wanted to avoid building another box illusion and settled instead for a pyramid? Sounds like just another box to me, although shaped differently.

You could have simply installed a powerful air blower in the platform and as your assistants hold a six foot silk over it, the air flow billows into the silk like a parachute, which suddenly flies off and reveals the person standing there. Or use one of Jim Gerrish's inflatable lawn decoration ideas combined with the platform so that a snowman (or whatever fits the season) inflates to its 8 foot height, then one or two people climb out of the snowman. We really have to get you thinking outside the boxes of all shapes.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Good ideas spellbinder, especially the blower...Thats one I never would have thought about...

I don't have an illusion base as yet, so this production happens without a base...
After reading your post I'm more convinced than ever I should build a really good
base... FOR NOW, just the BOX...

Just the pyramid on the stage floor and its two removable doors. Its looking great. I'm hoping to finsish it within a week. The little problems (well big problems) now solved and I'm just trying to get everything flush and nice edges and whatever.

As with everything, it will probably take a lot longer than I'd hoped.
I think I can finish it off within a week, we'll see.

Steven
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Sorry, I got the impression you had already built the base. I must need to biggie-size my medication. Anyway, as you travel through the stores this season, check out the inflatable lawn decorations and look for the ones in which you can easily conceal a person. You have to have some Velcro sewing skills, but that's about the only modifications you need. Jim Gerrish worked out a "pressurized air tunnel" for his Gingerbread House Illusion that's currently on The Wizards' Journal #7 which allows people to enter the apparatus without causing it to deflate. He doesn't use a base with any of his air illusions.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Sounds great I'll be looking around at those things. People in my local stores think I'm kinda crazy as it is though, always pulling things out and looking them over while thinking "I can make a magic trick out of this!".

:)

Steven
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Pyramid Production/Vanishing Illusion. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL