The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Quack-Blaster by Paul Osborne (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I was thumbing through an old Genii and came across this. Basically, it's a great "Where Do the Ducks Go" illusion with an Osborne twist to it. I was curious if anyone has built or performed this in their shows?

Bryan
Posted: Dec 5, 2005 1:18am
After posting the above post, I figured I better look up this effect and give you more of a description... It is from the July of 1993 Genii Magazine on pages 584- 585. The Effect (as taken right out of Genii) is as follows:

"Run for your life, it's the "Quack-Blaster"! Your favorite duck is brought out and introduced to the audience. A ring, watch, or personal item is borrowed and attached to a neckband on the bird. Quickly it is put into a cabinet saying "Danger-Keep Out". A dynamite plunger is taken off the table and set on a stack of crates as a TNT stick is removed from the bottom crate and put in with the duck. The plunger is moved to the other side of the stage and at the count of three, "down she goes" and the box explodes, dropping flat onto the table. The duck is gone! Where did it go? Easy! He was blown sky-high! From the ceiling is lowered a carton-styled cloud. A door on the top of the cloud is opened and out comes the duck with the personal item still around his neck. "Modern magic accomplished through bomb technology"!

It is a fantastic looking illusion. The theme of it is great! I am just curious if anyone has done it!

I understand Dave Womach was looking to build/ have it built sometime ago. I sent him a PM to see if he did...until then, does anyone have any input or ideas that follow close to this effect?

Bryan
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Tim and Robin Balster built this and perform it all the time. They did it at Abbott's last year. I thought it was a very nice prop and routine. They borrowed a child's glasses. Thought this was decided improvement over using a shoe as it is easier for the kid to give to you.

I would build it if I had the right staging conditions to do it. Chezaday was there also. He may have some thoughts on it.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Did someone mention my name?? Hi Richard .. I'll throw in my two cents. The Quack Blaster is pretty complex. It's a fun effect .. but there are lots of props involved .. not to mention some pyro to make the over all effect seem real. It's not too different than the Wiz Kote routine ... just without livestock. I've built some complicated pieces .. this one would rate a good eight our to ten on my scale. I don't know anyone else that made the prop. Hope that helps ..

Steve
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
That helps.... Ive been pacing around my drafting desk...I've drawn several different elevations of this illusion and worked out all the extra details...it is pretty complex! It is such a great effect still!

Bryan
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
Chezaday,
What is the ballpark price for this illusion and can you substitute a Macaw for the duck????
Thanks
Bill
bmworldtour
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of bmworldtour
Is there a video of this illusion being performed anywhere on the net?
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Hey Guys,

I'm having this prop built right now (Bryan, the carpenter is actually in Redding). I'll let you know how it turns out. Just email me... I expect it to be finished around... well... Feb-March?

I'm excited to perform it, and will probably we doing it with my toucans or macaws. It really is a creative illusion. I hope somebody some day can manufacture it. Hmmm... Do you think the manufacturing rights are obtainable?

Dave
magicmanila
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
88 Posts

Profile of magicmanila
Is it a marketed effect?
PERFORM MAGIC AND NOT "PUZZLES" so the audience wont try to "figure out how its done".

KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE!!!
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I don't believe it is a marketed effect. As for now, it remains in the osborne plans... It is a very cool effect...

Bryan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Quack-Blaster by Paul Osborne (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL