The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Neverending Debate (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1961 Posts

Profile of David Numen
For a change I will be concise!

There have been many debates about disclaimers and the ethics of claiming to be psychic then performing Mentalism. Only one thing is ever clear in that debate - that all sides are fairly rooted to their stance and aren't going to change.

So be it.

Anyway, here is a link to something very pertinent concerning disclaimers, especially for UK performers. If an official body like Offcom thinks something presented as the real thing doesn't need a disclaimer then who am I to argue!

Here's the link:
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds26996.html
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2032 Posts

Profile of jimtron
For those that aren't familiar with Ofcom, here's a link.

Here's a BBC article about the episode.

Bartlewizard, do you believe that the show actually found evidence of paranormal activity, as was claimed?
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1961 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Haven't seen the episode in question so can't comment on it.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2032 Posts

Profile of jimtron
From the BBC article:

Quote:
Viewers complained that the Living TV show, featuring "psychic" Derek Acorah, deceived the public by claiming to find evidence of paranormal activity.

But Ofcom ruled that Most Haunted was an entertainment show, not a legitimate investigation into the paranormal, and should not be taken seriously. (emphasis added)

That's pretty much my point about the difference between a magician or actor lying vs. someone claiming to demonstrate the paranormal. Geller, as I understand it, wants to be taken seriously as a paranormalist. If he billed his demonstrations as entertainment or illusion, I certainly would have no problem.

The quote above implies that if the show was billed as providing evidence of the paranormal (and not merely as entertainment), then Ofcom would have an issue with it.

Bartlewizard said:
Quote:
If an official body like Offcom thinks something presented as the real thing doesn't need a disclaimer then who am I to argue!

Apparently Ofcom doesn't consider that the show was "presented as the real thing."
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1961 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Quote:
Apparently Ofcom doesn't consider that the show was "presented as the real thing."

Obviously not but you seem to be missing the point.

It IS presented as far more "REAL" than any mentalist would dare present his act these days (given the number of septic skeptics waiting for a chance to guest on an expose show coz, you know, these guys deserve all they get for claiming to be real) yet an official body does not view it in that light.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Neverending Debate (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL