The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silks in a Detergent Box (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 00:17, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
As a child, I remember seeing a clown perform an effect similar to this where two adult-sized white gloves were used, one by him and one by a boy helping him. Each had a soap box and the gloves were placed inside. After all the 'washing the gloves and using the magic wand to stir it up' byplay, the clown pulled out the glove in his box, which was normal. The child pulled his glove out, but it had shrunk to a much smaller glove.

Just out of curiosity - is this an spin-off of Soft Soap or is it something totally different? I assume it goes by a different name, either way. I have done Soft Soap in the past, I can see how that effect can be made to work using Soft Soap as a starting point, but I am just curious.

I think you are over thinking or wishing for something special. I believe you just described the "Shrinking Glove" that has been on the market for years. The difference is the clown just added some thinking for a different routine that is more then the instant or quick change. Good thinking on his part.

Here is a reference to one version of the trick.
http://www.spsmagic.com/products.asp?product_id=t060

You did not mention if the clown was wearing the gloves, but that is normally how the gloves are shown to begin with as the same size.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 00:39, wmhegbli wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 00:17, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
As a child, I remember seeing a clown perform an effect similar to this where two adult-sized white gloves were used, one by him and one by a boy helping him. Each had a soap box and the gloves were placed inside. After all the 'washing the gloves and using the magic wand to stir it up' byplay, the clown pulled out the glove in his box, which was normal. The child pulled his glove out, but it had shrunk to a much smaller glove.

Just out of curiosity - is this an spin-off of Soft Soap or is it something totally different? I assume it goes by a different name, either way. I have done Soft Soap in the past, I can see how that effect can be made to work using Soft Soap as a starting point, but I am just curious.

I think you are over thinking or wishing for something special. I believe you just described the "Shrinking Glove" that has been on the market for years. The difference is the clown just added some thinking for a different routine that is more then the instant or quick change. Good thinking on his part.

Here is a reference to one version of the trick.
http://www.spsmagic.com/products.asp?product_id=t060

You did not mention if the clown was wearing the gloves, but that is normally how the gloves are shown to begin with as the same size.

I will say that I do remember it very accurately as to how it was performed because it was that one particular effect that really sparked my interest in magic when I was a child. Not sure why, but it did.

You are right in that the clown was wearing the gloves from the start of the show, and up until the time at which that effect was performed. I just never really looked up the routine before, so I was not sure if it was his own or if it was a marketed effect, a spin-off of one, etc. I did however like his premise of washing the glove in a soap box to make it shrink. Very good thinking indeed!

Thanks for the information William!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Well if this is from your childhood, it may not be the Shrinking Glove, as this has only been on the market since the late 80's or early 90's. It may be something totally different.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-08-15 11:29, wmhegbli wrote:
Well if this is from your childhood, it may not be the Shrinking Glove, as this has only been on the market since the late 80's or early 90's. It may be something totally different.

It very well may be the Shrinking Glove - I am not 30 yet.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
OJ used the shrinking glove during the murder trial too! It worked!

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Magicray69
View Profile
Veteran user
Tampa Bay
369 Posts

Profile of Magicray69
I believe Peter Pitt used it quite often. Great trick. One of my favorite 'sucker' effects.
There was a time I had the blues,

the reason was I had no shoes.

Until I met upon the street

a man who had no feet.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Surprise! After just 32 years, this month I reconnected with the magician who set me up with the version of Soft Soap I have used all these years. It is fantastic for audiences that either can't hear or do not speak your language. (Today that also includes children and old folks! LOL)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On 2011-04-07 16:25, magicians wrote:
The soft soap boxes are now being made...and in color.

I can order them... pm me.

Finally got a version using silks with this box, and just had to laugh..."80 loads per box." Oh wait...it's "32 loads." Hope the proofreader didn't double as the chemist for this detergent Smile
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This is still one of my favorite routines that has no language barriers if you can act at all.

I combine it with What's New to leave me clean.

Bob

PS --- I make my boxes from colored posterboard.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Old classics are so versatile until the routines never seem to end. Currently I am retooling one of these old Soft Soap (I call mine Spot Out.)routines in white to use teeth (drawn on the silks) to clean dirty teeth like new for the 16 dental theme shows I have in February for Dental Health Month.

Valentines, also in February, will be themed around mending broken hearts.

Of course in October everything is themed around Halloween with Orange, Black and Gold.

How do the rest of you use color changes and artwork to fit seasonal themes with Soft Soap?

It may take some planning ahead, but it is worth it.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Higgenbottom
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Higgenbottom
Stempleton: There's only 32 loads per box if you want your clothes "Amazing clean in only one wash" but 80 loads if you don't care whether they get amazingly clean in just one wash!
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Quote:
On 2007-04-03 23:22, Robert Kohler wrote:
I'll second that - holes and all! Also, it would be fairly easy to attach a computer generated logo to the front of the box with spraymount or glue stick for the super authentic look..............

With home printers, you can buy thin cardboard and run it through your machine and print it. I don't know the sizes so it might not work. A printer might print out a large size with a few boxes on one large sheet. Buying in bulk might keep the price down, but check out their prices to see if it will be possible to do it this way.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I get two boxes for each piece of posterboard. The printed parts are glued to the boxes.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
ummer21
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ummer21
Soft Soap, popcorn box. Etc. It's an easy gimmick..same as paper bag trick in Mark Wilson's Encyclopedia.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The advantage of using real detergent boxes from the Dollar Store is that when you open them in front of the audience, they actually contain detergent powder which you pour out into a wastebasket because "you prefer to wash your clothes by magic." If you line the small wastebasket with a plastic bag, the soap powder doesn't go to waste. Take it home for your laundry.

Anyway, Spellbinder has several versions of this in his Dollar Store Magic Book 2 on Silk Dying, but I also have an impromptu version included in my Kid Show Magic "Happy Clappy Whacky Wizard Washing Machine" e-Book. I describe a camping trip in which the Wiz Kids lost some of their performing props in a rainstorm (more like a flood) and were still able to perform using this impromptu version and some detergent boxes from the Dollar Store. The method is described in the e-Book. However, the point I want to make is not about the boxes but in using a perfectly good washing routine on silk handkerchiefs. To me, the trick only makes sense if you can take a kid from the audience and wash his socks, t-shirt and the underpants from a Professor Cheer's rope trick and have them shrink, develop holes, and so on. There's not much fun in dying silk handkerchiefs, but when you do it with actual clothing, it is extremely funny, especially to an audience of kids.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
This is a fantastic effect. I constructed my version of it from an effect called "Magic Dye" from a Henry Hay book (I believe). It changed three white silks into three colored silks, and gave excellent instructions for making your own gimmicked silk and box. It really is exceptionally easy to make your own boxes.
I have often debated in my mind as to whether it is better with a gimmicked silk, or if it is more deceptive using a tube with a thumb loop to remove the load behind the transformed silks. The latter certainly make it easier to show each transformed silk openly without risk of exposing the gimmick.
If there are any Gospel performers out there, write me. I have an excellent routine with this for presenting the Gospel of Christ.
Blessings!
Stephon
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Stephon,

I hope Lucy and I get to see you at the Cavalcade of Magic at the end of March.

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-01-20 21:18, ummer21 wrote:
Soft Soap, popcorn box. Etc. It's an easy gimmick..same as paper bag trick in Mark Wilson's Encyclopedia.

Really? Are you sure?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Not the same method as the popcorn box AT ALL!

The box is NOT GIMMICKED!
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
Bob,
It would be fun to attend, but I do not have that weekend off. Has it been a year already since Cavalcade? Wow! I hope it is a smash success!
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silks in a Detergent Box (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL