The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » First time stories (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
Hello,
I am planning my first street show right now.
does anyone have an interesting story about their first few times working out on the street?
thanks.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Well I can gaurantee that the first time out you will STINK!!! We all did so don't let it bother you. After my first time on the streets I was ready to give up performing magic forever. Thank goodness for other buskers around me that encouraged me so I kept at it.

Remember the important thing when busking is HAVE FUN, number 2 is ENJOY YOURSELF. Good luck and welcome abord the wonderful world of busking.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
247 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
Yeah first time out is generally pretty rough, that's when you actually learn all the basics you've heard/read about: building a crowd, keeping a crowd, passig the hat. You'll hear all sorts of little tidbits to help out a long the way...things like "funny is money" and all that jazz. But like Peter said, the most important thing is to have fun!
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3182 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
The first time out is when you start to learn the difference between knowing what needs done, (or thinking you know it) and actually doing it.....

If you pay attention, you will learn more each time out, and then in time, some of the wisdom of Cellini, Gazzo, Koz, Danny, James and the others will start coming back to your mind in time to actually use it.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
Thanks for the warm welcome.
I'm planning to start mid-january. weather permitting. today only got up to 28 degrees.
if anything funny happens I'll let you know.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2038 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
My first time out was a disaster. Not only was my C&B crap but I bumped into my table and the whole thing went crashing on the floor in front an already fast depleting crowd. I did not attempt C&B for at least five years after that. On the other hand I was very stubborn I had already decided before I even went out, this is what I was going to do. With no other busker that I new, I learned through shear trial and era I would say the first two year or so was a complete embarrassment but it was learning curb that I will never regret. One thing that helps a busker is to be very single minded.
Hear is a saying I have adopted
keep on keeping on.
Mario
PS Cellini, Gazzo, Koz, Danny, James are good guys to learn from but at first be more concerned about being your self than how fat your hat is. If you keep that in mind you will have fun, it is easy to lose sight of that in hear. At the end you got to make a living but it may tack time.
PPS I would also add if you have never been on the streets this is the worst place to learn just get out there and do it.
Ben Whiting
View Profile
Loyal user
Traverse City, MI
247 Posts

Profile of Ben Whiting
Well said Mario
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Besides Keep on Keeping on, one of my favorite quotes is "Just keep sucking air" means the same thing but has more of a survival overtone to it.

Here's a hint from an old magician - the first time that you go out, if you are going to set yourself ablaze, do it towards the end of the performance. If you do it towards the start the blisters makes it hard for you to feel the cups.

I know this from experience.

Also, twice as much flash cotten does NOT produce twice as big a fire ball. It produces about the same size, only twice as intense.

Also, hair is flammable.

So is silk.

I guess with enough flash cotton bricks are flammable too.

Basically, you might want to save fire effects until you've become very comfortable performing in this venue.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2681 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I got ruined my first time. I actually did well! (Would have done better if the cop hadn't stopped me!) Doing so well spoiled me so much that when I stank at my next few shows, it really shook me up and sent me into a magic decline that took YEARS to climb out of.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5283 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
My first time,.,,,she was 14 and I was 40 and.....no no., the first time busking , sorry!

I crashed a festival....i had NO clue...no table , no nothing

I made $130 in 3 hours...NO KIDDING...but the problem was is a had no place to put the money, I was working out of a fanny pack thing...and my pockets were just FULL of 1 dollar bills ! I went to my car 3 times before the 3 hours was done...it was standing on a 4 lane express way in the middle....everything was just flying by...i had no control at all...i wqas completely surrounded SURROUNDED and had no way to deal with it...lot different than a restaurant I tell ya.....so I went home and thought about it...the next weekend I had built a table and went acrashed another festival I made $600 the first day....could not beleive it....3 days later I quit my real job...NO ****!
koz
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1515 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Hi,
My first time out was at an event called First Friday. It's held every first friday of the month on Broad Street and is turns our little area into a tourist type atmosphere. I performed for about 3 hours and made $80. I was thrilled. I used a piece of rope, sponge balls, and toilet paper, and occassionally an invisible deck. My show was about 10 minutes and I had crowds of 30-40 usually. I was thrilled.

Since then I have performed in Savannah at River Street and when I went on Vacation to the beach. My wife was thrilled that after an hour performing on the street, we didn't have to pay for any food or gas the rest of the trip (from our regular money that is). Anyway, I knew those few tricks backwards and forwards which is why I was able to concentrate on drawing the crowds and learn how to ask for money in a funny way. Make'em laugh and they will pay.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Chad
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
My first time out I had a tame little pitch on private property in a little courtyard surrounded by shops. Hardly anyone can see you from the street, so the crowds you draw are really small. I was doing Fast and Loose with play money. I learned a lot, mostly about what kind of people to pick for the routine, and how to make it easy on them when they lost. It sure gave me a lot to think about. When I got home, I took the money out of my pockets and just stared at it. Cash. From the street.

Have a great time!

Yours,

Paul
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2038 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I will through in that I use to averege up to £80 sterling a day back in thoes days. My first day was a joke.
Mario
DAK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of DAK
My first day - hmmm, I remember doing loads of shows and by end of day having no voice.
I also remember looking up at one point in my set and realsiing the whole audience had gone!!!!

Thankfully you learn quick on the street and it hasn't happend since!

Remember counting the money from hat and even though it wasn't much feeling like I had really earnt it!

Kindest Regards

DAK
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
479 Posts

Profile of FacadeTheStiltBoy
It was the college world series here. And I ran into another busker I haven't seen in a couple of years. We were talking, and I just showed him some stunts that I was doing in the sideshow, and people just stopped, and rushing me with cash. I kind of felt guilty because I made more in ten minuites than my friend did in a few hours.

Other than that event and all, Omaha really isn't that good for street performers.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1648 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
First few shows-

Talk about a crash course in reality!!

Only take to peform what you want to carry!!

I took a golf bag with a table & a boom box& other cases all crammed in-weighed a ton!!!-never again

Have effects that can re set in reasonably quick time

The weather can be a problem as well-last week I was in a xmas festival here in unbelievable heat-tough work-wear appropraiate clothes etc

Wind can destroy your show in a few seconds!!-I never knew how far a silk hanky can travel!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep at it- have fun ,lots of audience interaction, the hats will take care of themselves when you chop& change your routine to good strong audience tested routines etc

Good luck
Starry
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
219 Posts

Profile of Starry
My first time was in Westwood, CA. As I remember it, I really didn't do very well and I froze my %$#@! off. It was really cold and windy. I discovered the importance of managing the wind as my table blew over and cards blew down the street.

-- Ace
Ace Starry - Author or THE MAGIC LIFE - A NOVEL PHILOSOPHY
http://www.starry.com/
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Ted mentioned a fanny pack. I did a festival once and put the money in a fanny pack. I forgot all about it (my wife drives me nuts so I forget things) and a few years later I found it under some silks etc. and it had about $140 in it. Good stuff.
Steve V
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » First time stories (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL