We Remember The Magic Cafť We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ The little darlings Ľ Ľ Head Twister (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I have owned this wonderful prop for about a year now, but I haven't really incorporated it into my regular children's show. I think the reason why I haven't done so is that I'm lacking a good motivational premise for the effect. I'm wondering if anyone currently uses the Head Twister in their shows and, if so, how you introduce the effect. Thanks.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
This is just me...but I would be very hesitant to use the headtwister on a kid who hasn't been thoroughly prepped, tested and rehearsed. Just my thought.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Skip, I completely agree with you. I wouldn't put it on a kids head. I would either have the child put it on my head and turn the crank, or I would have an assistant. In either case, I visualized my own head in the box. It's just that I can't think of a "reason" to perform it.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2824 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Tell them youíre a magician and you want to show them a trick. LOL

I donít know that you would find a reasonable Reason to twist your head. I think sometimes itís ok to just do magic.

Hereís the way I use to do it.

ďAnybody know what an Illusion is? Itís when you see something that you think you see that you really donít see. You see it but you really donít see because you donít see it. (repeat a time or two.) Ok, maybe I can show you better than I can tell you.Ē

I then get out the box. Get an older kid up, show him how to turn the handle. Let him practice in front of the audience a time or two. (I donít tell him what Iím about to do until I get the box on) I then sit in the chair, place the box on my head and away we go.

Itís a Great Effect and will play well to all.

Tom
Kind People Are The Best Kind Of People

www.tomboleware.com
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Thanks Tom,

Although you didn't realize it, you did have a reason for performing the effect. It was to demonstrate what you meant when talking about an "illusion". That's what I was looking for! A motivated reason to put the box on the head.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
How about using it in conjuntion with knife through arm and linking razor blades in mouth.
just a thought
Dingster
View Profile
New user
Australia (currently in Japan)
8 Posts

Profile of Dingster
How about suggesting that you all do some warm up excercises at the start of your show? Do some standard excercises (but with humour)with them before sitting down and explaining that you have a stiff neck and need to do a final "exercise" before beginning.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Stevie D - With respect, I don't think you understand what I mean by Head Twister. This isn't a danger effect that poses any real or imagined threat to the kids. Plus, the kids are not placed in any position of risk - in fact it is the magician's head who gets twisted.

Dingster - That's a great way to start the show! I never thought to use it as a finale to the warm up. I was looking for a new opener and you might have just served it up on a silver platter. Thanks!

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2824 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Kent, I guess youíre right. It was a Reason, just not the usual story line.

I also like Dingster's suggestion of using it as an exercise. But I would have the helper turn it a time or two before putting it on your head to get the pace right. As you know, the speed of the turn is what makes the effect look good. Too slow or to fast would spoil it. I always liked for the head to turn three times.

Of course it does look better using a trained assistant. (Which I used most often) That way the timing is always perfect.

Yes itís kid safe.

Tom
Kind People Are The Best Kind Of People

www.tomboleware.com
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Tom,

You're right about the speed of the rotations. I tried rotating it myself this afternoon and it really felt awkward. Since I don't work with an assistant, I'll have to come up with a really quick and easy way to train a member of the audience.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
I don't know if this is worth anything...we don't do a super show here in Manila but heres how I do it...

Patter: Before I show you my final Illusion today ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls...allow me to demonstrate a new product which Im about to release in the market. Im sure a lot of people here work hard and most probably when you wake up in the morning you get body pains or at least a stiff neck. What you do is go to a spa and we all know that spas here in Manila are expensive..yes some are reasonable but some are just way too expensive...so instead of going to a spa, maybe you can try my new invention...incidentally my wife woke up this morning with a stiff neck and I guess this is the perfect moment for a demo ...please welcome back my lovely wife...And pls allow me to demonstrate my "Anti-stiff neck device"

(Music Plays)as I open the carry case and reveal the twister...then place it on her head...

Patter: For minor stiffed necks...you just crank it a bit or two...and you crank it back...but for those super pain in the neck...you crank it all the way...(Three times)

And that's it...soon available tru home TV shopping...Parental guidance is advised so kids... Guide your parents...

Then we do our final act...(Modern Art)

Ill try your suggestions too...will see if I can use it as a warm up.

Thanks
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ The little darlings Ľ Ľ Head Twister (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL