The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Another D'Lite (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
Lucca (I.) - New York City
385 Posts

Profile of Paolo Venturini
http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/1701

D'lite is patented, right? What about that?

Paolo Venturini
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27017 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Let them's what owns the patents work it out.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Holy cow. I know someone that has been waiting for this. He actually told me that he couldn't wait for the D'lites to get knocked off, he had a "business" venture in mind. UGH!!
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
What tickles me is that the ad even contains the word "delight."

As I recall, Rocco went after the folks who were knocking them off a few years ago; somewhere in Asia, I think. He got their money, their inventory and their molds...which I heard are now being used to manufacture official D'lites more inexpensively than before.

At least that was thr rumor I heard around the Dealer Tables...

Dan Wolfe, aka. "The Amazing EARL"
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
Lucca (I.) - New York City
385 Posts

Profile of Paolo Venturini
Yeah, you can find Asia here:

http://www.chusmagic.com/index1.htm

Paolo Venturini
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1224 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
This should clear it up, I received this email after asking Steve Spangler about his product:

Tim - Spot Dot is D’Lite. Steve Spangler Science has an agreement with Roger Mayfarth who invented D’Lite and marketed it to Rocco. I approached Roger and Rocco in February 2005 and we reached an agreement to market this product specifically to educators. As a magician, I wanted to make sure that both Roger and Rocco were in favor of sharing D’Lite with educators (given that it’s now being marketed to the masses in the toy industry). Here’s an excerpt from the printed instructions…

“The ’secret thumb’ is actually the invention of Roger Mayfarth who designed the item specifically for the internationally known magician Rocco. Today, thousands of professional magicians use this device to entertain audiences throughout the world. Steve Spangler met with Roger and Rocco to discuss the idea of teachers using the device as a teaching aid in conjunction with pieces of well-known children’s literature. Both Roger and Rocco agreed to authorize and encourage the use of their invention for this purpose, but they did ask for one thing in return…

“Please ask teachers and parents to keep the workings of the Spot Dot a secret. It seems so simple – a thumb that lights up – but the magic it creates in the people who see it is amazing.”

Tim, please let the people know on Magic Café that we're on the up and up with this one.

--Steve
stevespanglermagic
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of stevespanglermagic
You guys are too much. Only Tim had the professionalism to send an email and ask before posting comments. Anyone bother to contact Roger or Rocco? Do your homework next time before flinging around the "knock-off" term.

--Steve Spangler
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Thanks Tim. That's good to hear.

Posted: Dec 15, 2005 5:16pm
-------------------------------------------
Steve,

I guess I should respond since I was the first to use the "K" word. Tim has a website that follows these kinds of things and I appreciate it. He does a lot of work to track these things down.

I wasn't going to do any homework because I don't really care that much about it. I certainly am not intrested in buying a rip off of a famous trick. I was disappointed to hear that there was another version out there, now I'm glad to hear that it is an authorized version. Sorry if you felt I insulted you.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
stevespanglermagic
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of stevespanglermagic
Vandy - Thanks for the reply. I've been in the magic business a long time (grew up in a family of magicians - Bruce & Kitty Spangler) and have far too much respect for others creations to steal anything. My father was a prolific inventor of great magic (You-Do-Voodoo, for example) and I grew to understand the ethics of the business early on.

No harm - thanks.

-Steve
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
The funny thing is that the russian magic act Sara Kabigjina and Sultangali Shukurov were the first to present this effect in Europe at a magic convention in France back in 1979 and later that year at FISM in Bruxell. Inthe late 80s there war a gimmick called Discovery but as I recall it this gimick was not inserted in a TT but was otherewise simular to Roccos D'lite.
I just thought that you should know that Rocco didn't create the effect but the gimick.

Jonas Karlsson
Vibono Magic Sweden
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3212 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Congratulations to Tim Ellis, for Getting "the Rest of the Story".
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-12-16 00:33, stevespanglermagic wrote:
Vandy - Thanks for the reply. I've been in the magic business a long time (grew up in a family of magicians - Bruce & Kitty Spangler) and have far too much respect for others creations to steal anything. My father was a prolific inventor of great magic (You-Do-Voodoo, for example) and I grew to understand the ethics of the business early on.

No harm - thanks.

-Steve

I noticed you comb your hair the same way many other magicians do. Not sure if you got permission....but thought I'd check....
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Another D'Lite (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL