The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Sigma Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
I have had a chance to review the newest brainchild of Paolo Cavalli, Sigma. For anyone who has read Paolo's previous works this is, of course, a required purchase. For those who have not met Paolo's work before, I am sorry you have come to the station so late. One or two of the routines in here build on ideas presented previously. However, you should have no problem with any of the other routines. I am not going to break down each and every routine in the table of contents. I will, however, provide a summary of the contents and the style of the book.

First, the text is of sufficient size to prevent eye fatigue. Even so, I would not recommend reading the entire book in one sitting. You should give time to digest what you are going to read in this book.

The content is heavy in the use of equivoque. It is found in the methodology of more than a quarter of the routines. As such, the reader should give thought to learning the proper application of this technique before attempting those routines. Mr. Cavalli does a good job breaking down the use of this technique in the explanations of several routines and discusses the verbal handling of those routines. This technique is one that has the potential to be devastating when performed properly but is horribly transparent when used poorly.

One (new to me) idea that has some very strong potential is the E.C.P. principle. Mr. Cavalli uses this principle in a routine that many before him have worked on and adds, in my opinion, a very unique twist to the idea. With just a little thought (and the needed items) most performers should be able to use this principle to build a routine that plays very strongly.

During some of the explanations, Mr. Cavalli does not fully explain his methodology. Instead, he uses the equivalent of "use your favorite method" when explaining how to perform some of the work within. This is not a bad thing though. This will encourage the reader to put more of themselves into the routine. My belief is that any seasoned performer will have no problem with the material if they decide to introduce it into their act.

Any performer who is familiar with mentalism and has experience performing for lay audiences will find there are many routines that can fit into a mentalist's program. Heck, Mr. Cavalli solved a problem with Martin Lewis's Technicolor Prediction that I have been working on for about two months now. This book would not be a good book for a beginner but for an experienced performer, I recommend it. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Four Stars(****) and two thumbs up.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
zgecko
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of zgecko
Samuel, thank you for your overview of "Sigma." I can hardly wait to see it for myself! How long do you think we will have to wait?
zallen
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of zallen
The wait will be worth it...
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
I really do not know how long it will be before the book is released. I can say for certain that it is an excellent book. I am certain that any fans of Cavalli's work will not be disappointed. In fact, I think there is some top notch material in it. There are several routines that require more steel *ahem* nerve than I can muster right now. If you want some good ideas and good routines, this definitely delivers on both levels. Hopefully it will be ready soon.
zgecko
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of zgecko
Samuel, since you seem to be 'in the loop.' have you heard or seen anything regarding Paolo's "YOBRAWIHU"? Thank you, again, for your excellent commentary!
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Zgecko,

YOBRAWIHU is still scheduled to be released, don't worry. I did not reconsider. But it will take ... hmmm, I don't really know how much it will take ...

As few of you know in the last months I've been a little out of scene, I went under major surgery done on me and then I had to recover. I had to stop my Universities Tour 2005 (I only had the time to close the summer with the last 5 shows!)...

So, I cannot really give you a scheduled time for my Chair Routine now. The only thing I'm sure now... IT WILL BE A DVD (no book or e-book) because I want people to watch my performance first.

There are also other nice projects I have in my drawer for the future but those last months have slowed down and delayed the whole thing down. I'm sure you can understand that. Thank you for your interest!
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
zgecko
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of zgecko
Paolo, thank you for the courtesy of your newsy response regarding "YOBRAWIHU." I had not heard about your surgery. I hope you have recovered completely and are doing well! Best wishes for the Holidays and the New Year!!
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2167 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
I received a free preview of Sigma. I partially agree with Mr.Catoe about the effects using equivoque. But not all effects require equivoque as part of the method or as the method.

One of the effects I like the most is Planet Earth a strong version of outofthisworld with a regular deck that can be shuffled freely,no switch of piles at any point during the routine,a prediction that shows your mindcontrol skills.
E Wave is another one I really LIKE. It's easy and fast and the climax with the aces avoid people knowing about blank cards.
The booktest is so ingenious but is for performers who have real b**ls.
The spirit writing features a sneaky use of the OTL to avoid people suspect switches of cards.
The E.C.P. principle is something I would like to try soon but I need the "right people" with me(if you get the book you know what I'm saying)
There is a great number of other routines and other clever ideas which can be applied to other effects you probably know already.

I will try Planet Earth tomorrow.I can't wait.
A very good book packed with usable stuff.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
I am sorry if my comments led to confusion. I did not mean to imply that all of the routines included equivoque in the methodology.
I am not certain of where he found it (probably Curry) but a friend of mine had shown me the P.E. work before. Although I had not thought to include the idea with the OOTW routine. I think this was one of the gems in the book. If you look in the extras section you will find a way to clean up Technicolor Prediction and ditch the board altogether. Now that I think about it, you can ditch the envelopes too. I think I now have an idea for a new opener. Thanks again Paolo!!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Coinport - loved the idea. Great mix of ideas and methods.

E-Wave is a great study in the art of equivoque.

C.K.C Planet earth is another great rendition of the Out of This World premise... something to use in the real world when you want to prove your powers.

E.C.P. Principles is a devastating idea that you can now apply to many other effects. Paolo already supplies two great routines using this principle in Sigma.

Shades of Mind will test your courage in mentalism. Paolo gives you the weapons and how to use them, but you must now go out to the performing world and use these weapons with courage. I like this kind of thinking!

Penny For Your Thoughts is Paolo's new brilliant take and method for a chair prediction. Devious and fun to do!

Beer It Twice is a nice way to start a show or a longer presentation and proves you know your volunteer's choices. Great mix of two methods!

Dove-it Out is a great approach to the Roulette idea. I'm fond of this one because I too worked out a similar principle and I'm glad to see someone else is playing around with it. Of course, I knew Paolo would hit on the idea too because we seem to think alike... maybe we were separated at birth!

N.G.R.R. follows that same route of the Russian Roulette premise and again it follows a path I have tried out myself. This is a dramatic and easy way to show you will face danger, but be aware, it's not for the absentminded performer.

Death Warrant II is a strong routine that uses many principles together to cancel out all the possible solutions. For those that like a bit of the bizarre then this one is for you.

W.D.W. Book test is a new method to do an impromptu book test... anywhere and with any book... all you need is a pen or pencil and you are set to go. This one should be put in everyone's arsenal.

PUN is one of my favorites in this book. I love word association games and so I know I'll put this effect to use almost immediately.

But Paolo does not stop with the above mentioned effects, he continues to give you bits and pieces from other ideas... from a Radar Deck idea to a subtle idea for his Chairvelopes to an idea to use with Maven's Autome to another book test idea to a great verbal misdirection idea to simplify a Technicolor Prediction and then another book test idea that allows for a drawing dupe.

What can I say? Another book from Paolo that is loaded with ideas that no only will you use... you absolutely must use them!

Greg Arce
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Here, here Greg!! Well said.
shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
So how does one get a hold of this book?
zgecko
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of zgecko
Shawn, You can reserve a copy by e-mailing Paolo at paolocavalli@gmail.com. According to Paolo, this e-book will soon be available; I believe it will sell for $25.00. We are all eagerly awaiting its release!
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Has anyone had Paolo reply to their email? I sent him 2 in the past week regarding a purchase of Sigma and YOBRAWIHU and never received a response.
zgecko
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of zgecko
Tmoca, I suspect Paolo will contact you when "Sigma" is ready for purchase, which should be fairly soon. He mentioned on another thread that "YOBRAWIHU" will NOT be available in the near future. (It will be a DVD rather than another e-book.)
zgecko
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of zgecko
Tmoca, SORRY, it is actually this thread where Paolo talks about "YOBRAWIHU." See post by--'Lord of the Horses.'
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
I got all the orders down (I think) and the reason I don't answer to each single person is simply that you are too many and I have not found the time, yet.

But, be sure that if you mailed me reserving your copy of SIGMA, I will contact you when ready and you will get it.

Probably one more routine will be added to the final version of SIGMA!

Thanks again to all the previewers who posted their reviews (and also to the previewers who did not post, yet).

As for the YOBRAWIHU DVD, as I've tried to explain, it's not an immediate thing and, while I deeply appreciate people mailing me to reserve it ( and I WILL REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE ) I would like if people ordering SIGMA place that headline in the subject of the mail, and people ordering YOBRAWIHU put that headline on the mail in order for me to avoid confusion as to whom is ordering what, so to give you the best service I can.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
nichols_me
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of nichols_me
Has anyone recived any informnation about sigma yet, I mailed paolo when first asked to do so, and havent heard anythuing yet. any ideas?
nichols_me
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of nichols_me
Ive mailed paolo a few times now, still no reply any ides?
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1575 Posts

Profile of Markymark
I would guess that the book is not really finished yet,perhaps he will post here
soon.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Sigma Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL