The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Telekinetic timber - original ?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
dennper
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of dennper
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2315 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
It is my understanding that Shawn Farquhar now owns the manufacturing rights to TT.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Hi everyone,

I was just told about this thread. Thanks Christopher.

I read Gaffed's post "Palmer Magic is simply a dealer selling Bob Koch's "Telekinetic Timber". In other words; The "Telekinetic Timber" is NOT by Palmer Magic. The "Telekinetic Timber" by Bob Koch was originally produced and sold through Golden Gate Magic and subsequently distributed to other magic dealers such as Palmer Magic.

If perhaps one may be wondering why I'm responding to such an old thread is that I have the version by Bob Koch which I purchased back in 1989. I'm selling mine, which is in mint condition and never used, but before I do so I first wanted to some research on it. "

This is INCORRECT. Palmer magic has the sole manufacturing rights to Bob Koch's "Telekinetic Timber". Palmer Magic acquired the rights and other items from Golden Gate Magic and with permission from Bob Koch. I make each and every Timber by hand using the same techniques used by the talented wood workers before me in the employ of Palmer Tilden. I am still using much of the existing stock in the production process and although Palmer Tilden has passed away I am still in contact with his last master craftsman. I am very proud to be the owner of Palmer Magic and to carry on the tradition of offering fine magic like Bob Koch's "Telekinetic Timber", Michael Ammar's, card on Ceiling, Paul Harris's Screwed Deck and so much more...

One quick look at the instruction booklet would reveal the Palmer Logo in the corner... http://www.palmermagic.com/shopping/tele......bob-koch

Dennper: Love the modified look of your Timber ...

Decomposed: At $55.00 usd there a really good deal... I can understand you holding out for a used one, but most folks don't part with them... If you can get David's...Score!!

Mind_Magic: I took don't like to support knock offs...or ones that take on names so close it's confusing... like using the name "telekinetic timbers"

dusty: I'd love to see your script.

thought_reader: it was my understanding that the concept was Harbin's but that Bob Koch's mechanism is different. I bow to your superior knowledge on this subject and would love you to email or pm me more details so I can be on top of the subject. Thanks.

Cheers,

-shawn

Posted: Feb 28, 2012 1:21am
Just a small addition: Paul Chosse wrote in another thread:
(Quote)
Bob Koch originally manufactured the TT himself, and sold it thru Jeff Busby. He then went into business with Bill Whittington and opened Golden Gate Magic in San Francisco. They manufactured and sold the TT. I bought Bob out and Bill and I continued to sell TT. When we finally closed GGM Palmer Tilden bought the rights to all our products and now manufactures the TT, exactly as it has always been made. It is a sealed system, that, barring you breaking it open or sawing it in half, should work forever. It is room temperature sensitive. The trick is based on an idea of Robert Harbins, and has appeared in print in a different form. If you work with the prop for a bit you will become familiar with the idiosyncracies of the particular block you own, and will develop a procedure that is absolutely reliable. I have used the same block for over 20 years with no trouble.

Best, PSC

(end Quote)
Lynne Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of Lynne Kelly
The timing of reincarnating this thread is amazing for me! I am wondering if anyone else has used the telekinetic timber in a kids' show? If so, how young? In what way?

The background for the question: I have used my telekinetic timber for adults and teens for years. I wanted a reason to have this piece of wood on stage, so I have added three other identical looking pieces of wood - all normal, in a box which looks like old school equipment and added 16 numbers on each of them for a maths routine. I channel a ghost who can do amazing mathematical feats - things I cannot - absolute poof of channeling, you see. Then to prove he really exists he tumbles one of the pieces while I walk away, turn and watch, sneering skeptically. It falls onto hard surfaces so it crashes down. This scares the hell out of me, so I get one of the audience members to pack it up, because there's no way I'm going near that box ever again. Obviously, the audience member has a good check of the timber, sometimes even tries to replicate it. All works wonderfully, and suits my persona.

But I am now working to much younger audiences (down to about 8) and channelling ghosts is not appropriate. I have a Bear who helps with two other routines, so my intention is that he has amazing mathematical skills as well. And can tumble timbers psychically. The bear I use has magnetic paws and brow, so he can hold small objects, and put his hands on his brows when he's doing psychic concentrating. And he's drop dead cute. I have just started performing to kids and with my bear. My show last week went really well, so I want to perfect the kids' show (there were some weak bits to replace), but also create a light hearted show which is adaptable to older audiences.

Just today I thought about redoing the telekinetic timber routine for kids. And here's this thread!
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
Don Jack has the best presentation of this ever!

Dusty knows what I'm talking about!

Col
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of dusty
Quote:
On 2012-03-01 14:53, Colin wrote:
Don Jack has the best presentation of this ever!

Dusty knows what I'm talking about!

Col

He certainly does...By coming at the effect from a marketing and design background Don's routine is not only logical, but believable, moving and dramatic. And I think these are the qualities we should all be striving to portray. Sorry but it's not for Colin or I to reveal his presentation, but let's just say it is very, very good.
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.
"Always give 100%, Unless you're a blood donor!"

Exclusive publications available from:

www.solutions.yolasite.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Telekinetic timber - original ?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL