The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Extreme Stunt (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I am diabetic and I also have kidney problems. With that said I want to challenge my body. I want to perform something interesting for publicity. I have access to the college market, so colleges and or nightclubs would be a neat place to perform it at. The question is, what is there left that hasn't been wh_red out by our favorite dynamic duo of TV magic?
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2920 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
There's a GREAT publicity stunt in Goldin's It's Fun To Be Fooled auto-bio. He has a number of fun things in there that haven't been done in 80 years. I think that book is available from the Learned Pig or Lybrary site. I would tell you what the stunt is, but I've said enough. And I'm not being mean. Slightly evil, yes, but mean, no.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Get a chunk of wood and cut a circle two foot in diameter. Get a unicycle. Put the circle of wood on top of a 25 foot pole, climb up with unicycle, get on unicycle and maintain balance. No ropes, nothing. I'm sure you'll be in the news and the front page the following day.
Steve V
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
And in hospital the day after!
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5115 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
You could drink sugar water, instead of acid.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Here's a natural! Easy too...On Jan 14th Quartzsite AZ is having a Guiness event. "The World's Largest ATV Parade." The former record, (I think) was 687 ATVs. ATVs are common here, the streets are wide and sponsors are very easy to come by.
This just screams out for a blind fold drive! Q is close to Ca and Nev (Las Vegas.
Slim Price
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Why have publicity stunts dwindled in recent years? Seems like they get no publicity!
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Scott,

If you want publicity in a small media market, like a small town, they work just fine, even the old ones.

If you want publicity in a larger market, you are either going to have to be original (a stunt that hasn't been done before, and isn't like the old ones) or have important friends.

For publicity at the national and international level, you are going to have to put together a big team of well-paid media pros, I think.

Newspaper stories or video footage from publicity stunts at the local level can work just fine as promotional material to book shows, which is what you are trying to do, right?

Let's say you chase down some of the old stunts that Todd refers to and decide to do one. Where to do it? Forget New York City! Those jaded Yankees have seen everything.

Let's say that you really like the David Blaine block of ice stunt and decide to have yourself encased within a tomb of chocolate in Hershey, PA. The image of your chocolate-smeared face as you emerge would certainly make the local paper and TV news. That's just one example. Tie it to a local interest.

What would you do in Roswell, New Mexico?

Yours,

Paul
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5115 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
It doesn't matter, if you're not using it to promote something else, that people will remember. Otherwise, you'll be another one of those "Did you see that guy who?"

Even something that's well-promoted, is not guaranteed of coverage. If the TV stations have to do any work (in days of dwindling local budgets), or if something else happens that's newsy, or if they think you're out of season...might as well forget it.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
In Jan. Quartzite will be hosting the ATV parade. It will be a Guiness Event. While Quartzsite is a small town of 5000, during Dec, Jan and Feb, it hosts 3 Million people from around the world. Guiness ,ATV, blindfold drive, 3 million attending. National coverage, unique town. = publicity...
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
I heard that in January Quatzite will be hosting the ATV Parade, maybe that would be a good place.
Steve V
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Slim,

It seems to me that the problem with the ATV Parade is that it is hard to make sure that you are the story. Sure there are a lot of people and plenty of coverage, but what happens if there's a ninety-five-year-old great-grandma leading a convoy of ATVs carrying the next three generations, and they all have matching tattoos? That's the money shot, not some twentysomething with spikey hair and an eyebrow piercing under the blindfold.

Yours,

Paul
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
I guess I lack the ability and experience to negate an idea. I find myself wondering how many ideas were killed by "what if."
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Sometimes, perhaps we plan a little too much on this board and not enough action, thank you gentlemen!
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
That's it Scott! You need to get a grandmother tattood on your face AT the ATV thing! I'd watch.
Steve V
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Slim,

That's the spirit! Maybe a better approach is "why not?"

It's really funny to think of you as lacking in experience!

Yours,

Paul
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
LOL, thanks paul. I just need some more public work to promote. The regulkar gigs pay no matter what the draw, I guess my ego just wants to be seen in media...
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
If you are so desperate for some sense of fame take a hint from Steve O and just get a nail gun and go at it. You'll get fame.
Steve V
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Done it. No fame in pain. I have lots of video of me doing unusual stuff. I have been barb wire tied into a chair and tossed into lake michigan, crucified in one hand to a board, I have driven blindfolded, etc. I guess I am looking more for national recognition now. It is the heart of show business!

I think in a few months, the name will be more prevelant!
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
What like Garry Glitter!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Extreme Stunt (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL