The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism and Hypnosis Show (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jl17
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of jl17
Ok, I'm racking my brain trying to figure this out. I have a client who wants a one hour show of mentalism and hypnosis. I do both so either one would be no problem, however, they want a combined show. I am going to do my usual mindreading show (which is a lot of Luke Jermay and Banachek material), and I will do some waking hypnosis material (magnetic fingers, light/heavy arm, etc.)

Can any of you help with some other ideas as to how to combine the two arts? Thanks!
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Mülheim an der Ruhr / Germany
1434 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Get the m5 and have someone stop their watch. combine it with stopping your pulse while someone is feeling it. when I perform the time stop trick it always kills. they have no clue how it worked. very powerfull effect.
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2005-12-08 15:53, jl17 wrote:
Ok, I'm racking my brain trying to figure this out. I have a client who wants a one hour show of mentalism and hypnosis. I do both so either one would be no problem, however, they want a combined show. I am going to do my usual mindreading show (which is a lot of Luke Jermay and Banachek material), and I will do some waking hypnosis material (magnetic fingers, light/heavy arm, etc.)

Can any of you help with some other ideas as to how to combine the two arts? Thanks!


Can I make a suggestion? Whenever I do a hypnotism show, I always begin with one or two mentalism effects and then move onto the hyp. If everything goes well, fine. If there are any kinds of problems or the subjects are not the greatest in the world, you can always move back to the mentalism. Either way, you should satisfy your client.

One more word about your post. I am always booked to do a one hour show, but it almost always goes longer. (If there are definate reasons for the one hour restriction I, of course, honor that) Party planners think that one hour is as long as anyone can hold an audience's attention. Then the hour goes by and it seems much shorter and they really want more. So, unless there is a reason not to, don't be afraid of going over a little. Most hosts feel they got more for their money.

Richard
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19727 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Read above post 1000 times......it is all you need on the topic !
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
jl17
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of jl17
Richard,

Thank you for your insight. I agree that we should go above and beyond what's expected of us. I almost always do a full hour (or however long is agreed upon) and then save my "finale" for the end.
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
737 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
I have had great success combining hypnosis and Greg Arce's "Emotion-All" routine from his Deep Thought booklet as one of many ways to seque to full hypnosis routines. Instead of the performer receiving and acting out the spectator's emotions, I have a subject placed under hypnosis who receives the emotions from me. Think of it as the "you're at the movies" hypnotic skit updated to fit the parameters of Greg's marvelous effect. To speed the process, I usually use a "volunteer" who has been pre-showed with a post-hypnotic suggestion for rapid induction so there is no down time. This then adds to the later induction process.

Take a look at Greg's Arce Arsenal package at:

http://www.freestylebooktest.com/cashout/

Enjoy. - Scott
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
415 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
Being in the same position as Richard, I wholeheartedly concur.
jl17
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of jl17
Since I am doing walk around before the show, I think that I will look for those individuals who are very suggestible and use them for routines like Pulse Stopping, etc.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6164 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2005-12-08 20:10, sgrossberg wrote:
I have had great success combining hypnosis and Greg Arce's "Emotion-All" routine from his Deep Thought booklet as one of many ways to seque to full hypnosis routines. Instead of the performer receiving and acting out the spectator's emotions, I have a subject placed under hypnosis who receives the emotions from me. Think of it as the "you're at the movies" hypnotic skit updated to fit the parameters of Greg's marvelous effect. To speed the process, I usually use a "volunteer" who has been pre-showed with a post-hypnotic suggestion for rapid induction so there is no down time. This then adds to the later induction process.

Take a look at Greg's Arce Arsenal package at:

http://www.freestylebooktest.com/cashout/

Enjoy. - Scott


Wow, Scott, that's a really interesting way of applying this effect. Great thinking!

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Quote:
On 2005-12-08 15:53, jl17 wrote:
Ok, I'm racking my brain trying to figure this out. I have a client who wants a one hour show of mentalism and hypnosis. I do both so either one would be no problem, however, they want a combined show. I am going to do my usual mindreading show (which is a lot of Luke Jermay and Banachek material), and I will do some waking hypnosis material (magnetic fingers, light/heavy arm, etc.)

Can any of you help with some other ideas as to how to combine the two arts? Thanks!



You'll be pleased to know that hypnosis and clairvoyance are inextricably linked.

During the magnetic movement in Europe--and notably Paris, France--Mesmer taught many people his methods of magnetizing and inducing crisis. Puysegur, his best known student and the second best-known magnetist, was very detailed in his analyses and published many works detailing patients who would diagnose themselves (and others) while in crisis. This is considered the beginning of medical clairvoyance as we know it today.

The French, as you may know, colonized Haiti and, during the magnetic movement, Haitian natives incorporated the healing techniques with their religious practices. You can see much of the influence today in Haitian voodoo--especially in the ways it is different from its African roots.

Best,
James.
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
737 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
Greg - Thanks for the kind words. I thought you might like to see a pic of a show I did at the Hollwood Entertainment Museum featuring my performance of Emotion-all. I am sending it by separate attachment. Syndicated columnist-talk show host Arlene Peck is on the far left with actree Janice Lynde under hypnosis and awaiting my first "emotional-all" suggestion. Sorry the pic couldn't be attached here, but there are posting limitations. Enjoy. - Scott
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism and Hypnosis Show (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL