The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Penn and Teller Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
I checked out the book Penn and Teller's "How to Play With Your Food". One of my most favourite tricks in the book is the banana trick where you open a banana and it's already sliced. I am new to mentalism so I'm not quite sure what to do. So far I've decided that to open I will talk about how people can twist metel with there mind but I have something amazingly difficult and so impossible that you will not believe it. (Here a spectator can examine knife and banana. I take back props and wave the knife over the banana.) Asking for a magic word the kids say whatever and I repeat it. When they open up the banana it has been pre sliced!

What do you think? I'm sure somethings in there that is wrote wrong because I edited twice. Thanks,

Christian
Tarbell!
cardiac
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, U.K.
250 Posts

Profile of cardiac
More of a gag than an 'effect' IMO but more power to you if you can make something of it. It's something I do for kids mainly, but then again I'm not that good an actor...
jl17
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of jl17
I agree, I think it is more of a gag than anything. I remember Mac King doing that on Worlds Greatest Magic. He did the whole karate thing. Not my cup of tea, and I don't think it is a mentalism routine, but go for it and it may be a staple in your act.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2985 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
I'm sorry, Christian, but the key to mentalism is believability. I don't think any sane person of this earth will believe you can slice a banana with your mind.

Now, if you could have them think of a word, then find it bruised into the fruit beneath the skin, which they've been holding the whole time -- that would be a whole different story.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Juan D
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Juan D
Quote:
On 2005-12-08 17:57, ChristianR wrote:
you open a banana and its already sliced

Now, that's what I call magic...
Juan D
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2005-12-08 17:57, ChristianR wrote:
I checked out the book Penn and Teller's "How to Play With Your Food". One of my most favourite tricks in the book is the banana trick where you open a banana and it's already sliced. I am new to mentalism so I'm not quite sure what to do. So far I've decided that to open I will talk about how people can twist metel with there mind but I have something amazingly difficult and so impossible that you will not believe it. (Here a spectator can examine knife and banana. I take back props and wave the knife over the banana.) Asking for a magic word the kids say whatever and I repeat it. When they open up the banana it has been pre sliced!

What do you think? I'm sure somethings in there that is wrote wrong because I edited twice. Thanks,

Christian

Christian,

That routine originally appears in Tarbell one. You might want to read the presentation there. It's actually very good!

Richard
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
Your right I guess it is a gag. I wish I could get the Tarbell Course but maybe with the holidays. I'll start thinking about that banana bruise thing too.

Quote:
I don't think any sane person of this earth will believe you can slice a banana with your mind.

I don't think sane is one of the words that describes my usual audience. I might have to use your quote as a signature if you don't mind. At the magic meeting I might do the banana first to lighten it up and relax then Impromtu book test. I can't wait to look for some good deals on Tarbell books.

Sorry for my misunderstanding, It shows how new I am to Mentalism and Magic Smile

Christian
Tarbell!
llsouder
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of llsouder
Quote:
On 2005-12-08 18:53, Necromancer wrote:
I'm sorry, Christian, but the key to mentalism is believability. I don't think any sane person of this earth will believe you can slice a banana with your mind.

LOL! hey wait are you serious or is that sarcasm?
davybabybrazil
View Profile
Regular user
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
170 Posts

Profile of davybabybrazil
Actually caught their show in Vegas and saw Penn and Teller do a killer book test
It is hard to believe a man is telling you the truth if you know that if you were in his situation you would be lying.
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
Here it is a very well known effect, just about every one knows it which really is a pity, I still think it looks great
I've seen builders play tricks on other people working with them by setting there banana up at lunch time.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
adgnyc
View Profile
Loyal user
New York City
293 Posts

Profile of adgnyc
I will second that Penn and Teller's book test is superb. Funny, entertaining, and utterly baffling.
Adam Green
New York, NY
magicuncle
View Profile
Regular user
Elgin, IL
127 Posts

Profile of magicuncle
Marko has the Tarbell books available on CD (PDF) at the THE LEARNED PIG website for about $35 US. It's not quite the same as having the books on hand, but if your budget is limited it's not a bad deal. -Brian
GusVanNostrum
View Profile
Veteran user
With automatic writing I've produced
340 Posts

Profile of GusVanNostrum
Quote:
On 2005-12-09 00:33, davybabybrazil wrote:
Actually caught their show in Vegas and saw Penn and Teller do a killer book test

But I guess they did not use any banana?
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2005-12-09 16:25, GusVanNostrum wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-12-09 00:33, davybabybrazil wrote:

But I guess they did not use any banana?
No, but banana was the word chosen out from the book...
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
991 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Can anyone elaborate on Penn and Teller's book test? What did it look like? Would those of us who collect book tests know it?

Gianni
BT
View Profile
New user
Winnipeg, Canada
64 Posts

Profile of BT
Quote:
On 2005-12-08 18:53, Necromancer wrote:

Now, if you could have them think of a word, then find it bruised into the fruit beneath the skin, which they've been holding the whole time -- that would be a whole different story.

Best,
Neil

If you could slice that banana with your mind - imagine all the Dairy Queen people who would want to hire you? Smile

Hey Neil, you should work on this banana routine- (bruised under the skin, I like it!
Hmmm, I wonder if the xpert would work on a banana peel? Smile I think we're on to something here!

Warmest wishes,
Brian T.
Brian T.

"Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old with 15 years of practice."
Harry Blackstone, Jr.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Penn and Teller Mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL