The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Preserving Fruits (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
Around this time of year, the grocery stores around here sell Satsumas (little oranges). THey are PERFECT final loads for my cups and balls. The thing is that they aren't available year round. I seem to recall that there was some way to treat fruit or something you could coat it with to make it last for a longer period of time (without refrigeration...) I don't remember if you can still eat the fruit after it is treated but it doesn't really matter in this case.

Any ideas?

Derek Merdinyan
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1302 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I think it could be covered with some type of resin or something, not quite sure. Would plastic fruit do? There are some really good ones available, would last much longer.

Or buy them in bulk and freeze them, defrost when needed...
Sent from my Typewriter
Timothy
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama, USA
174 Posts

Profile of Timothy
I know you can shellac gourds (sp?) and they will dry out or harden inside and stay in a preserved state, but I've never tried it with fruit.
-Magical Tim
Magical Tim's Magic Shows
[email]tim@magicaltim.com[/email]
"Magic is a vanishing art!"
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Okay, so I recall an old episode of Martha Stewart, where she took orange peels and dried them over shapes to make boxes.
The problem with the Satsumas is going to be the very wet pulp inside, that will decay, rot and get all icky (technical term that one)
If you can carefully cut the item in almost half (leave yourself a hinge) fold back and scoop/juice out the innards, find a ball about the same size.. put inside the peel, I would look at using an old nylon stocking to stuff it into so the peel stays tight to the ball while drying. A couple carefully placed drops of Super Glue to hold the cut edge together. keep it out of heavy sunlight, and do not try to bake it, the color will go very dark. Alight coat of varnish of shellac when all dried.
OR try the local craft store for fake fruit. This stuff is very realistic these days, it will be a bit light unless you add some weight to it, but the availability is no longer a seasonal issue.
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Preserving Fruits (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL