The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Beyond ESP 2 - having problems (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1042 Posts

Profile of deputy
Hi everyone, I have been playing around with these and I am having problems seeing the markings,if you have them you know what I mean. Any suggestions or hints? thanks for your time
James Houston
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of James Houston
I do know what you mean, you'll get it eventually.
I had the same problems, just practice - hold the cards face down, and go through each one varifying if you were correct. Do this at commercial breaks on TV, and you'll pick it up quite quickly.

Take your time at first, you'll get quicker as you go.

When you're doing it live, briefly glance at the top edge, then talk away to the spectator, then glance at the bottom edge. This gives you the information without staring at the back for too long in the one go.

Even at that though, I still sometimes make an accidental miss.. I suppose I too will get better.

-James
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1042 Posts

Profile of deputy
Thanks for the advice James. it is really driving me crazy!
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
I would also say Practise...

It can be done.

And maybe have a consistent process you use every time, to look at the card in the same way/order?

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
D.Paul
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of D.Paul
Also in performance, while practising use a stack just as a back up then you will always have confidence knowing that you cant fail. You will get the markings down its just takes a little time and practise, and its well worth it.
Kindred
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Kindred
Hello.
Just a note to say that I too am having the same problem- especially in moderately to low light conditions. Am practicing relgiously though- and am seeing a marked improvement. I've been doing this little move- a slow wave of the hand over the top of the cards- to pick up the "impressions"- which allows me to glimpse a little longer at the card- the spectator thinking I am looking at my hand and focusing my energies. The markings are completely undectectable to the laymen- I've had some - nearly a committee- inspect them for ten minutes without find a clue. A few magi friends even cleaned off the black backs- thinking that somehow fingerprints and smudges on the backing were indicating the suit. Even being wrong now and again seems to make the "psychic" angle all that more realistic. These are the best set I've ever seen- and I plan on getting a lot of mileage out of them. They are worth the practice.
Happy Hollidays all!
Matt Andrews
View Profile
Loyal user
Switzerland
219 Posts

Profile of Matt Andrews
If you could know in which light conditions you are going to perform, just go into the room/stage beforehand and go through the cards. If you can't read the marking then uses D.Paul's advice and stack them or perform effects which don't need the markings.

Sincerely, Matt
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL