The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism props - what are these? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

markiquark
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of markiquark
Hi there.

I am currently reading Bob Cassidy Fundamentals and he says that mentalists only need few props, but these are quite useful (I only mention the ones I am not familiar with).
So what are your opinions on the following - and what are they, to begin with?

Jak's style wallet.

pocket write devices (if not a NW, what is it?)

himber style switching wallet (so does this replace billet switches and everything that requires slight of hand? What different ones are there?)

card and billet indexes - are what?
impression devicse (ok, I know the one with the Carbon Paper in a card box, whatelse is there?)

As far as the pocket writing device, the card and billet indexes are concerned, I would also like to know where to buy them.

Thanks.
If you are going to Puerto Vallarta on your acations, let me know and write me a PM. I am interested in meeting magicians.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2030 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Mark:

Have you tried searching the Café for any of these? I think they've all been discussed quite a bit, and a few searches would turn up a wealth of information on what you're wondering about. Corinda's 13 Steps would cover pocket writing and indexes, if memory serves. Himber wallets are very common; check your favorite magic dealer. I would suggest reading 13 Steps and Annemann's Practical Mental Magic. Also, Scarne on Cards covers card indexes. These are all potentially useful.
markiquark
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of markiquark
Hey thanks. Anyway, I live in Mexico and I can't just walk into a magic dealer, there aren't any. However, Corinda and Annemann are on their way. I just couldn't wait, too curious. Smile
Thanks anyway jimtron, Mark
If you are going to Puerto Vallarta on your acations, let me know and write me a PM. I am interested in meeting magicians.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2005-12-10 01:54, jimtron wrote:
Mark:

Have you tried searching the Café for any of these? I think they've all been discussed quite a bit, and a few searches would turn up a wealth of information on what you're wondering about. Corinda's 13 Steps would cover pocket writing and indexes, if memory serves. Himber wallets are very common; check your favorite magic dealer. I would suggest reading 13 Steps and Annemann's Practical Mental Magic. Also, Scarne on Cards covers card indexes. These are all potentially useful.

Nice post.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2030 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Quote:
On 2005-12-10 02:12, markiquark wrote:
Hey thanks. Anyway, I live in Mexico and I can't just walk into a magic dealer, there aren't any. However, Corinda and Annemann are on their way. I just couldn't wait, too curious. Smile
Thanks anyway jimtron, Mark

You're welcome. No magic stores in the entire country?
markiquark
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of markiquark
Not that I know of. And I would need one that I can personally go to, right? When I order I order from the States anyway.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2030 Posts

Profile of jimtron
You can order a Himber wallet from a U.S. magic dealer, for sure.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5275 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You ask some fundamental questions. As mentioned above many of your questions can be answered by doing a search on each topic. You will find pages of discussion on most (if not all of the items you ask about).

You ask "...what are your opinions on the following - and what are they, to begin with?"

"Jak's style wallet."

Dr. Jac’s developed a very low-teck method of gaining knowledge of something written or drawn on a card (or the value of a card for that matter). The original Dr. Jac’s wallet was a simple leather business or calling card wallet. Now they are usually made in a tri or quad fold wallet. A razor blade, a simple credit card wallet and a couple of minutes gives you a working Jac’s wallet. Buy two credit card wallets so that the ungimmicked one can be left out for examination.

I don’t necessarily agree with Mr. Cassidy. I don’t think that you need wallet to gain any knowledge of what is written or drawn on a bit of paper. There are just too many open techniques that do the job for you. A scrap of paper, a pen, and your skill is all you really need.

”Pocket write devices (if not a NW, what is it?).”

This is exactly what the name implies. Get a short bit of pencil (say about an inch or two long) and put it in your pocket. Now practice writing on a bit of card (while in your pocket) without anyone noticing. That’s it! The skill here is doing it totally unnoticed and on the offbeat.

“Himber style switching wallet (so does this replace billet switches and everything that requires slight of hand? What different ones are there?)”

Yes there are some cool routines using a Himber Wallet. None of them involve billet switching. I doubt if you really need a wallet to switch a billet. The wallet can be used to switch items but I would study the in the hands switches first then learn how to press other “innocent” items into use as a switch device (the books are full of suggestions).

”Card and billet indexes - are what?”

A tool that allows you to reach into your pocket and instantly come out with a named card (or proper billet or whatever). Your pockets can be used as a simple index (simply put one thing in each pocket and remember which pocket it is in).

”Impression devices (ok, I know the one with the Carbon Paper in a card box, what else is there?)”

So where else can you hide carbon paper? That’s your answer!

”As far as the pocket-writing device, the card and billet indexes are concerned; I would also like to know where to buy them.”

Again if you do a search here at the Café you will find the actual names of props that do the specific work. Then do a google search for the name of the prop and you will find a number of dealers more than willing to take your hard earned cash.

I advise you to start slow, buy some recommended books, develop an outline of what your act is going to look like, then flesh it out with whatever props you will need.

You will be surprised to discover that a stack of index cards, a pad of paper, a few borrowed books or magazines, a marker pen, ink pen or pencil, and maybe a large handkerchief will give you all you need to perform mentalism for a half an hour and really entertain your audience.

Here is a link that takes you to an entire “classical” mentalism act that can be done entirely with borrowed items. Talk about low cost!

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=4330768

Save your money and buy the books! Then study the books!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism props - what are these? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL