The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anyone read any good books lately? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
587 Posts

Profile of wayman
The Ninja. Eric Van Lustbader

This is the story of Nicholas Linnear, half-Caucasian, half-Oriental. A man caught between East and West, between the sexual passions of a woman he can't forget and the one he can't control and between a past he can't escape and a destiny he can't avoid. A sprawling erotic thriller that swings from postwar Japan to present-day New York in a relentless saga of violence and terror elaborately designed for the most savage vengeance of all.

Part of a series (All very good books but best read in order)

The Ninja
The Miko
White Ninja
The Kaisho
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
Try "Black House" by Stephen King and Peter Straub. It's the follow-up to "The Talisman", which is also excellent... great creativity.

Speaking of creativity, read the third Harry Potter novel... I caught myself smiling at several sections of obvious, wonderful creativity and imagination... and I'm 34!
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
Vilago's right, the Harry Potter series is full of interesting plot twists & turns. They're definitely worth a read.
If anyone sees my sanity, please return it to

me.
ColinB
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of ColinB
I also liked "Carter Beats The Devil" by Glen David Gold. I understand the movie is in the offing, but may star Tom Cruise as Carter...
Anasazi
View Profile
New user
Upstate New York
49 Posts

Profile of Anasazi
"American Gods" by Neil Gaimen -- contemporary fantasy/horror with a huge dose of world mythology thrown in and the protagonist is a coin worker. Smile Seriously though, I couldn't put it down after I started. Definitely one of the most original stories I've ever read.

Also good is the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. The first 4 books are already out with the last 3 on the way over the next couple of years. It's nothing like his typical horror stories, but I've never met a SK fan who didn't think this was by far his best work.
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
Anasazi,

An avowed Stephen King fan, for some reason I've avoided the Dark Tower series...maybe I'll have to pick up a copy of the first part, based on what you say...
Anasazi
View Profile
New user
Upstate New York
49 Posts

Profile of Anasazi
Vilago,

I can't promise, but I'm sure you will not be disappointed. The first book is "The Gunslinger" and I'm 99.9% certain it's still in print all over the place. If you check it out let me know what you think.
Ben Simon
View Profile
New user
Germany
50 Posts

Profile of Ben Simon
John Clancy's books are very good in my opinion.
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Harry Potter!! Then go see the movies!!
Life of Magic!
hitmouse
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of hitmouse
Surprised that no one has yet mentioned "The Magus" by John Fowles. A stunning novel, and arguably one of the great meditations on misdirection. Will have you on the wrong foot from beginning to end.

Catch 22 is the funniest book I have read.

Carter is good fun. If this becomes a Tom Cruise movie, it will cause a huge craze for magic. I'm not sure if this is necessarily a good thing.

Hitmouse
Liquid B
View Profile
New user
Toronto
28 Posts

Profile of Liquid B
Okay, I've been sold on Carter beats the Devil, and I agree with Leland, read the Harry Potter books, then see the movies. Both very entertaining in their own right.

Smile
(don't ask me why I put this little rabbit guy on here, because I don't know)
longbeach
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Ont
141 Posts

Profile of longbeach
The 2 books that have affected me the most are:
Fingerprints of the Gods - Grahm Hancock
Ishmail - Daniel Quinn

You don't look at things the same way after you read these.
Ben Simon
View Profile
New user
Germany
50 Posts

Profile of Ben Simon
All books written by Henning Mankell
from Sweden are very good.
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
I was reading Bringing Down The House about
some card counters, then I picked up the
Silmarillion(finally). I have a few others
I wanted to get in before school starts back
up but it doesn't look like it will happen.
"Free will is an illusion." - B.F. Skinner
spiral-stares
View Profile
New user
New York City
90 Posts

Profile of spiral-stares
I really liked The Houdini Girl by Martyn Bedford. Great, Hitchcockian story that has a bit to do with magic as well.
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
368 Posts

Profile of Bill
I spend about 8 hours a day in a car (sales) so I throughly enjoy the books on tape. With that much time, I've "read" over two hundred books. My hands downs favorite is the Harry Potter series. The reader, who's name is Jim Dale,is so talented that you'd swear you were listening to the movie. He really does an excellent job, highly recommended!

My second all time favorite is Timeline. By Michael Crieton (I think).
Peedlkyle
View Profile
New user
I live in my house
98 Posts

Profile of Peedlkyle
I just finished reading two Brad Meltzer (The Tenth Justice and The Millionaires) books and one by John Grisham (The Brethren). They were both mysteries and I really liked them. Right now I'm reading Kindred by Octavia Butler and Smoke Screen by Vincent Patrick. I don't like either of them.
(If your wondering where all the magic books are I did read Blaine's book, I just know you all hate him so I didn't think I'd mention it)
On the other hand, you have different fingers.
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
I read the first few lines of the book and was convinced that Blaine didn't write it himself. From what I saw in the Chapter outline, it really contains more history than anything else. And I'm not a History fan, so I didn't buy it. I don't hate Blaine. I admire his easygoing attitude when it comes to performing. Timeline was good, but then so is most of everything else by Michael Crighton. He also wrote the Jurassic Park series, the Andromeda Strain, and several other books. I've already given my approval of the Harry Potter series here. And since we're putting in icons that make no sense, I'll put in this one. Smile

me.
Peedlkyle
View Profile
New user
I live in my house
98 Posts

Profile of Peedlkyle
There was a lot of history. There was also a lot of other things though too. It was history/autobiography/tips and tricks, in that order. I loved the HP series, I just haven't read them recently. I recently read The Hobbit also just because I liked the new LOTR movies. It was alright. His writing style is weird though. Smile
On the other hand, you have different fingers.
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
That's ok Peedlkyle, there hasn't been a new book out in the HP series for over 2 years. However, the 5th book of the 7 book series just came out in Britian and is expected to be on store shelves in the US by February of this year. So the wait continues...

me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anyone read any good books lately? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL