The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anyone read any good books lately? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Sandy Koufax: A Lefty's Legacy, by Jane Leavy.

Anything by PG Wodehouse; my favorites are the stories about Jeeves and Wooster.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1358 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
The non-magic related book I'm reading at the moment is Confederacy of Dunces. Its pretty funny, (and it won a pullitzer)
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
'The Commanding Self' and 'The Pleasantries of the Incredible Mulla Nasrudin' by Idries Shah.

The scariest book I read last year was 'Stupid white men' by Michael Moore. If you want ENGLISH horror, check out the ghost stories of M.R. James. Saki's (Hector Munro) collected short stories make viciously sophisticated reading too.

I second the Wodehouse recommendation. Aside from being incredibly funny, Wodehouse creates the most charming unreality. He was also one of the finest USERS of language period.

I'll have to read 'Carter beats the devil' after all the good reviews. Always had a soft spot for the poster that adorns the cover.

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
MisterE21
View Profile
Elite user
Salt Lake City, UT
426 Posts

Profile of MisterE21
Must third (or fourth...or fifth...I lost count) the recommendation for Carter; I loved it.

Other than that, I'm planning on re-reading Clive Barker's Imajica along with The Great and Secret Show and Everville (two books of a trilogy that won't be completed for another few years...::sigh::) They are dark fantasy, dealing a lot with magic (the "real" kind..lol). It would be interested to re-read them from my current point of view...maybe I can pick up some bizarrist plots...
Your EFFECT is only as good as its AFFECT.
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Collected Letters to Penthouse
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
jennieprice
View Profile
Regular user
Quartzsite, Az
118 Posts

Profile of jennieprice
Right now, I'm reading Another roadside attraction by Tom Robbins. Along the same lines, are Dreaming Jewels, can't remember the author, Something wiicked this way comes by Ray Bradbury and Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. All are stories about carnival sideshows (another passion of mine.)
If you're into the day after the end of the world type of thing, then read Swan Song by Robert R Mccammon (spelling?) Great book on how various characters dealt with life after the bomb dropped.
Well, that's just my opinion.

Jennie Price
Smile
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
Just to let the HP fans know, a release date has been announced in the Harry Potter septet series for the newest book: June 21st.
If anyone sees my sanity, please return it to

me.
Peedlkyle
View Profile
New user
I live in my house
98 Posts

Profile of Peedlkyle
I can't wait for the new HP. It's supposed to be huge. I forgot the exact numbers of the chapters,words, etc. but it sounds like a very thick book.
On the other hand, you have different fingers.
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
According to CNN, it's a third larger than the last book. It has 38 chapters and approx. 255,000 words. A real wristbreaker. I'd suggest preordering it as stores are going to be mobbed on June 21st.

me.
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
You can find the article from CNN here: http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/books/01......dex.html

me.
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Hi IceRAven02

See the link in post "Hooray" Jan 15 in this forum by Missing Link

Howard Smile
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
I'll third P.G. Woodhouse, an all time favourite of mine.

I'm more into nonfiction really (I know, I write fiction, but I read nonfiction), but as of late I've reread the Tolkein novels, my favourite being "The Silmarilion", and the Herbert novels, my favourite being book IV "God Emperor of Dune".

A lot of Lovecraft and Bradbury thrown in of course, and I'm a great fan (only recently) of Jorges Lois Borges. If you have never read him, check him out.

:clownonball:

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Kainoa
View Profile
Elite user
NewArk, Delaware
424 Posts

Profile of Kainoa
I'll second the vote on the Houdini Girl, though I didn't really like where it ended up. It was interesting how it got there (though the narrator is a bit full of himself, go figure).

If anyone is into 19th C, early 20th C, I'd suggest the very short Cranford (by Elizabeth Gaskell), which features a magician who causes a "Great Panic" in the small town, and the slightly longer Zuleika Dobson (by Max Beerbohm), which features a beautiful, yet only somewhat talented female magician that convinces an entire Oxbridge college to kill themselves because they can't attain her. Both are fun reads and pretty fast.
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
If you are interested in Hypnosis and NLP and how they work, try reading Monsters and Magic Sticks (theres no such thing as hypnosis) by Steven Heller.
a good insight into how we all are using "hypnosis" in our everyday life in one form or another.

Howard
ledzepp1918
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of ledzepp1918
I am presently enjoying Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy. I thing any of his books are worth to read.
Jeff Weiss
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Jeff Weiss
Ive slipped back into the classics. Im focusing on German plays now, Brecht and Goethe to be specific. I recently read the first part of Goethe's Faust and think I will read the second part soon. I like Brecht's plays, quick interesting reads, just finished Galileo and am going to pick up Good Woman of Setchuan next
Liquid B
View Profile
New user
Toronto
28 Posts

Profile of Liquid B
Carter Beats the Devil was the best book I've read in ages. Hands down.

But if anyone's looking for something funny, I'm reading one right now called 'A Walk in the Woods' by Bill Bryson. These two, couch potato, guys decide it's time to get into shape. So they decide to hike the entire Appalachian Trail. All the way from northern Georgia to the middle of Maine. Around 2,100 miles.

I've had to close the book several times while reading on the subway because I couldn't control my laughing.

Liquid B Smile

Oprah has nothing on this book club.
Evan
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Evan
If want to laugh your butt off...but do not mind the "f" word in every other sentence...then check out "napalm and silly puddy". I don't remember the author. Great book.
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
Michael Crichton's latest book, "Prey" is pretty good and potentially frightening.
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
fogelka
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of fogelka
I'm not much on fiction, so here is a really great non-fiction read:

The Measure of Reality (Quantification and Western Society) by Alfred W. Crosby. It's a fascinating look at how the measurement of things (time, distance, etc), led to the rise of Western civization. Sounds dry, I know, but it is extremely interesting, and reads like a novel. As recently as just a few hundred years ago, people really didn't think in terms of time, draw with perspective, etc. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anyone read any good books lately? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL