The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » “Sigma”—Another Viewpoint (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

zgecko
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of zgecko
I have never met Paolo Cavalli or Massimo Tira in person, but in reading the review copy of “Sigma” received yesterday, I feel I have a strong sense of their creative personalities. Their sense of the dramatic, intense focus, ceaseless energy, and ability to combine traditional elements of magic and mentalism into vibrant, new plots and methodologies—jump off every page!

“Sigma” features no less than twenty major routines and enhancements; many times a simple but extremely effective suggestion for a particular effect will spark your own imagination. This is material that other performers of mentalism will not only use as presented, but also provide a yardstick for measuring their own creative efforts.

A brief commentary follows on a few of my favorite effects and concepts presented in “Sigma.” (The descriptions were written by Paolo):

A PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS is a simple chair routine (nothing to compare with “Chairvelopes” or “Yobrawihu”) that solves some of the incongruences another famous chair routine had (at least from spectators’ point of view!).

I have always been fascinated by Chair Prediction Effects. Here Paolo provides a marvelous routine that is uncomplicated in its procedure and method, fun in its staging (the manner of mixing the audience members’ positions), and dramatic in its climax (with an unexpected final surprise).

C.K.C. PLANET EARTH, in my (biased) opinion one of the most impossible OOTW routines out there! No switch of the packets needed, ever! Yes, it's true... No switch needed at any point of the routine!

Like many enthusiasts of magic and mentalism, I feel I ‘grew up’ with Paul Curry’s “Out of This World.” I’ll never forget the first time a spectator said to me, “Did I do that…or did you?!” In his presentation Paolo uses an idea by Ted Karmilovich (one I was not familiar with), and combining his own embellishments, has created a routine that is truly original, direct, uncomplicated, and amazing!

PUN is a two-phase experiment in which you first guess a word a person is thinking by backtracking its “chain-reaction” in a peculiar word-association game, then you ALTER the memory of a participant regarding his/her freely chosen word (and I give you 3 DIFFERENT METHODS to perform this routine, in part or fully).

When is a book-test not a book-test? Answer: ...when novel and entertaining plots are combined with traditional book-test methods to create new experiences. Paolo’s keen sense of theatre and his ability to combine several traditional and new approaches for maximum impact—really shine here!

3 Different Russian Roulette kind of effects… One with bottles, one with doves or other little birds and... the third one - the one I personally like the most - The NO GIMMICK RUSSIAN ROULETTE, you can perform it anywhere you like… you only need 3 grocery bags, 2 spikes… and your skills!

Mentalism with a sense of danger seems to be ‘all the rage’ these days. Here Paolo and Massimo will really get the…‘juices flowing’…with a trio of such effects. Each presents a novel, creative perspective with maximum dramatic impact; the presentations will impress you with the diversity of possible plotlines and encourage your own exploration!

The E.C.P. PRINCIPLE… a simple yet overlooked principle that has to do with CELL PHONES… You can find for yourself, I'm sure, a host of different applications for the E.C.P. PRINCIPLE... However, I include 2 routines using this Principle: CORINDA 2005 OUTDONE! and ANY CARD, ANY NUMBER!

This is a presentation of specific routines, a subtle and most useful principle, an ingenious point of view regarding the use of cell phones in mental effects, and, perhaps most important, a springboard for your own exploration. This seems to me to be the beginning of an entirely new chapter in the concept and performance of mentalism.

I feel I have only scratched the surface of “Sigma” in this brief commentary, but I think you can tell I’m impressed! Other reviewers have stressed Paolo’s fondness for ‘Equivoque’ and carefully constructed use of language to simplify and heighten his effects; it is his ‘out-of-the-box’ thinking and ‘audience handling’ that most impresses me. Surely you will find--within the sixty plus pages of this e-book—significant fuel for your performances, your reservoir of useful concepts, and your own creativity!
crossroader
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of crossroader
Please, could you expand a little bit on the book test? Is it impromptu?
Thanks
zgecko
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of zgecko
Christos,

There is a book-test routine in "Sigma" that is completely impromtu--"The WDW Book Test." It is excellent, and features a very simple concept I have never heard of before. It can be done with virtually any book at any time!

The two-phase routine, "PUN" is not really impromtu, but seems no more difficult than most other book-tests. In my opinion, the real attraction here is the cleverness of the plot and the audience by-play. The two phases together use a combination of traditional methods you probably already know.

Tom
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
I got all the orders down (I think) and the reason I don't answer to each single person is simply that you are too many and I have not found the time, yet.

But, be sure that if you mailed me reserving your copy of SIGMA, I will contact you when ready and you will get it.

Probably one more routine will be added to the final version of SIGMA!

Thanks again to all the previewers who posted their reviews (and also to the previewers who did not post, yet).

As for the YOBRAWIHU DVD, as I've tried to explain, it's not an immediate thing and, while I deeply appreciate people mailing me to reserve it ( and I WILL REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE ) I would like if people ordering SIGMA place that headline in the subject of the mail, and people ordering YOBRAWIHU put that headline on the mail in order for me to avoid confusion as to whom is ordering what, so to give you the best service I can.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » “Sigma”—Another Viewpoint (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL